Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Favorite home made toys?  (Read 5426 times)

Offline AngelBear

• 80's Toy Ark
Favorite home made toys?
« on: Thursday 28 October 2010, 11:59 pm »
Hey guys, I was just thinking of this. When I was a kid my grandmother used to make me toys instead of buying them at the store. My favorite was a set of plastic canvass furniture (Barbie-Sized) and some doll clothes. Now that I am grown up she makes my daughters Barbie dresses. I was just wondering if anyone else would like to share memories of their favorite home-made toys that either you made or someone else made for you.

Offline pikapal

Re: Favorite home made toys?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 October 2010, 08:09 am »
The only thing I remember making was a diorama for my Mermaid figure. I got an old shoe box and I decorated the inside with pictures of fish. I cut out a piece of cardboard to make a rock and I decorated it with green paper to represent seaweed and made 2 yellow starfish.

I didn't have any Pony Wear for my My Little Ponies so I would make them hats out of paper and tape them to their heads. I took the paper hats off after I was done playing. My ponies don't have sticky heads. 

Offline funkyfifi

« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 October 2010, 09:09 pm »
My Mum used to stay up late at night and hand sew My Little Pony outfits! She got a bit addicted to buying seqins and all sorts! I should put a picture up, they weren't fabulously designed, but were my favourites! She even did handbags x x They were all made of felt and mostly like little coats with sequins, but she did hats too x
I was a very lucky little girl x

Offline Rider of the storm

« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 October 2010, 03:55 pm »
I found a home made unicorn plush at a yard sale the lady said that her boyfriend made it for her. I know it does not count but I had to post anyway . I will try to get a photo of it some time.

« Last Edit: Monday 08 November 2010, 05:04 pm by Rider of the storm »

Offline Rider of the storm

« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 November 2010, 05:05 pm »

Offline AngelBear

• 80's Toy Ark
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 November 2010, 05:44 pm »
Wow! Looks MLPish, doesn't it. Cute! I would've bought it too!

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 November 2010, 06:32 pm »
The only handmade toy I've ever received was a plush doll of Tobi from Naruto. My sister made it for me. Even though I now have the almost-official chinese Tobi plushie, I will still keep it forever, and my kids will ask me why I have such bizarre dolls in my toy collection.

Offline catlover51

« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 November 2010, 12:26 am »
My mother made me loads of stuff when I was a kid. My favs - a cochet/knitted? cat and her kitten.
She also made me a coat with strawberry shortcake buttons, a crib for my dolls with strawberry shortcake painted on the side, cabbage patch dolls where you bought the head and made the body and clothes... So, so many things, I'm sure I still have most if someone wants to see pics.

Offline Tribble79

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 November 2010, 02:27 am »
My aunt made me clothes for my troll dolls. I loved those clothes. My grandma made me a doll with purple hair that was like the cabbage patch dolls, I wish I still had this. I had all sorts of handmade things, but don't believe she ever made barbie doll clothes. I had so many clothes I really didn't need her to hand make them. I think I mighta been a bit spoiled  :o

Offline Snork_Maiden

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 November 2010, 09:26 am »
When I was little, my mum knitted me clothes for my cuddly toys. I remember having a male and a female rabbit. My mum knitted a pink dress for the girl and a pair of stripy dungarees for the boy. The latter was especially difficult because the rabbit was rather small and kind of lumpy, but she managed. These days, my mum is still knitting a lot. Her latest project was a woolly hat for my boyfriend. I guess it's not so different from knitting clothes for my cuddly toys.  :D

Offline palaisdejouets

• My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 January 2011, 08:28 pm »
I was raised to be very crafty, so I was always making doll clothes, doll furniture, etc. One of my favourite dolls as a child was a special cloth doll that my mom made from a Holly Hobbie pattern. Her name was Elise, with yellow yarn hair and an embroidered face. I still have her, of course. You don't get rid of dolls like that!

Offline hime

« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 January 2011, 10:06 pm »
I've done a few custums mostly transformers and action figures but I DID do these

Princess adora from "she-ra"

http://photobucket.com/albums/f89/deltadod/?action=view&current=adora001.jpg

the starchild from motu

http://photobucket.com/albums/f89/deltadod/?action=view&current=star.jpg

Offline manateejaq

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 January 2011, 04:15 am »
One of my favourite dolls as a child was a special cloth doll that my mom made from a Holly Hobbie pattern. Her name was Elise, with yellow yarn hair and an embroidered face. I still have her, of course. You don't get rid of dolls like that!

That's really sweet! :D 

I remember having a knit stuffed goose that had a little hat and tiny glasses - I believe she was a gift from one of my great-aunts. Some of the best "toys" my sisters and I made were just little cut-out drawings of colorful creatures we made up. They all had names - we made hundreds of them, all different kinds of species. It was like having a hand-drawn adoptables collection.