Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: This is really bothering me a lot lately (high prices for vintage toys)  (Read 13110 times)

Offline Rider of the storm

I am kind of puzzled by how rare people think toys from the 1980's and 90;s are. Are there truly some rare toys out there ? Are we just inflating prices on vintage toys think that they are rare when they are not ?

You thoughts ? I had to get this off my chest thanks. 

I had to ask I went on the new link that some one posted on here for my barn yard commandos and they had a moon dreamers lion for 24.00 dollars plush shipping . I think that is to much there is one on ebay at the moment for 2 dollars and it is unsold so far.

Offline Snork_Maiden

Re: This is really bothering me a lot lately (high prices for vintage toys)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 November 2010, 08:36 pm »
Many people seem to think that just because something is old, it has to be rare and sought-after. Of course that's nonsense. Okay, maybe it's true if you possess an item that's 1000 years old, but vintage toys aren't quite that rare.  ;) You see such ridiculous prices on eBay these days, even with sellers who admit that they have no idea what they're actually selling, but it's old, so it must be worth a fortune, right? What annoys me even more is that lately, I've also seen it happening on fleamarkets, thrift stores and such.

Offline AngelBear

• 80's Toy Ark
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 November 2010, 04:15 am »
There's one seller in particular . . . Dennis Toys and Collectibles I think the name is. She's had the same very high priced stuff listed in almost every toy category for two to three years now. I guess the idea is that they will eventually be worth what she's asking if she keeps them listed that high for long enough. The problem is, other sellers find the same item at a thrift store, look it up and think it's worth that much, so they price it just about as high. That's why auctions are pretty much all I look for these days. I remember in 1999 everything was a heck of a lot cheaper for the most part.

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 November 2010, 04:24 am »
The sellers like that Dennis one have always been there with their items price super expensive in their stores (some have a Best Offer option, some don't). But the stores were hidden off in a tiny section on eBay below all the auctions. The default was to always show you auctions first unless you specifically asked for Buy It Now. But then eBay mixed all the stores in. And you're right - if there's only one item listed and it's listed as $64.99 then a person going on eBay to see what their stuff is going to get all excited. They don't know it's been there for 4 years unsold. And that the past (expired) auctions they can't see because eBay deletes the records after a time barely had the item sell at the starting bid of 99 cents. Just because there is only one of something on eBay doesn't mean it's a priceless collectible - it just means that no one is else is selling it that particular week. I'll be honest - I've seen some items I had and got excited at how "valuable" they were... but then I realized who the seller was. Until I see an item go high an actual auction with a low starting bid I just assume it's worth just a few dollars. And even those high auctions could be a fluke/bidding war. Which is probably the other reason some of these sellers get excited. They see an item that two newbie bidders went to war on and overbid. What they don't know is that the person probably refused to pay when they realized what they'd done (you sometimes see those lots relisted after a week or two if the 2nd Chance Offer fell through).

So, yeah. Dennis is holding out for that one person desperate enough for their Childhood Toy to pay that much - the power of nostalgia. Maybe someone that has never internet shopped and isn't savvy or just someone who wants to instant gratification and has their credit card. Fine for Dennis if they can be that patient. But it does ruin things a bit for the rest of us
« Last Edit: Wednesday 17 November 2010, 08:05 am by zuse »
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline mouse

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 November 2010, 04:31 am »
AngelBear  -Yup I think the same as you - that the high BIN prices are pushing up listings because that's what people are going on to value their items. Surely they cost of re-listing adds up and makes it not worth it anyway?

Rider of the storm  - BIN or shop prices are always higher than auction prices.

Snork_Maiden  - yup people have become more aware that something old might be worth something, but the key words are 'might be'. They see one kind of toy sell for a lot and because they have a toy from the same line, never midn that it is from a different year, incomplete, not from the same set - but hey, that other one sold for x so mine must be worth a mint too! It's happening in op-shops over here too. The thing is, on ebay things can go for a high price at auction because collectors from all over the world can jump in and bid. If it is in an op-shop, there's only a slim chance someone might come along who collects that and will pay a high price for it, so it's not feasible to price things and ebay prices.

Offline zuse

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 November 2010, 04:43 am »
Yes. Toy Collectors need to be careful - I see a lot of people get carried away with paying extreme money for "Grails" and things. Especially in the MLP world. And that's fine if it makes you happy and a complete collection is your goal. I think the trouble, though, is when you start viewing it as an "investment" - that you can recoup the money put in if you need to. By all means tell that to your family and show them eBay if it will cause them to be a bit more supportive of your hobby. But just remember that something is only worth what someone will pay for it. Don't get me wrong - I see the intrinsic value these objects have and they can make us very happy. But the truth is that without eBay if you were to hold a yard sale tomorrow the average person (unless they were some sort of dealer and then they would rip you off intentionally) would not offer you any more money for the rarest (but "loved") MLP than they would for a McDonald's toy. Your prototype Care Bear might be worth $800+ dollars to an avid collector but the average adult would probably give you maybe a dollar and give it to their dog.

Of course, I personally believe they also hold value as art and cultural artifacts but that's another story.

But, yeah. It's hilarious when thrift stores get excited about an eBay price and try to get that for an item. If you don't have 2+ people competing for something you have no right no jack a price up. And that's why I don't judge the stores that do list on eBay if they think they have something. They have the right to make the most of their donations to fund their causes. And they don't look nearly as silly as a grungy store with a battered Transformer inside a case with a $60 price tag.

Oh, and those BIN at the stores? People need to realize if that was a "deal" that item would be snapped up quickly! You're always hearing people bragging about a great BIN deal that snapped up in seconds of its listing - and they actually beat other people that were in the process of trying to buy it as well! It's really saying something if the ENTIRE WORLD has seen your auction and it hasn't been purchased in 6+ months.
« Last Edit: Wednesday 17 November 2010, 04:54 am by zuse »

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline mouse

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 November 2010, 05:57 am »
I'm another firm believer in toys as a form or art and culture :)

Our op-shops in Australia haven't got into the listing stuff on ebay thing. They just have really expensive in store prices. The other day I went in one and they asking 2.99 for Little Golden Books (not so great condition) and you can buy them for the same price or cheaper, of the same titles, brand new! A while ago I saw 2 manky, nude, dirty cabbage patches with price tags of $20. Something really recogniseable might actually not be worth as much because they were really mass produced and everyone owns one already.

Totally with you on the BIN thing. It just seems pointless. Actually making money makes more sense!

Offline pikapal

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 November 2010, 06:04 am »
zuse I know what you mean about yard sales. Another bad thing is when magazines and tv shows tell people to check how much something is worth by going to ebay or a similar site. What if the only listing they find is $200 for a beat up common toy. I hope somebody would not be foolish enough to sell that at their yard sale for $200 or something close to that. They will get laughed off their block.

I also think it has to do with people who are hard up for money and are selling their "collections".

Offline zuse

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 November 2010, 06:15 am »
Yeah. Another racket is the price guides. Luckily I'm not into dolls and none really exist for the toys I'm interested in. But you know some of those items that were DESIGNED to be collectibles? Like Hallmark? Have you ever looked up the collector book value of an ornament and then seen its real life auction going rate on eBay? They sell for like MAYBE $5 brand new in box and were supposed to be worth $60 by now. And of course the flea market people think they should be paid that because the book says so. Sometimes I think the whole antique/collectibles scene is just one big scam. And they're starting to infringe on OUR toys because naturally people our age are starting to feel the nostalgia bug and actually have money to spend. It's the same with every generation. In about 10-15 more years a Miley Cyrus doll or current Toys'R'Us clearance item is going to be a HUGE COLLECTIBLE. STOCK UP NOW!
« Last Edit: Wednesday 17 November 2010, 08:08 am by zuse »

Offline Snork_Maiden

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 November 2010, 08:01 am »
Oh yes, price guides. Those things are hilarious. Good example: Beanie Babies. I've got a BB price guide - picked it up in a second-hand book store because of the nice pictures. I never really collected BB, but I liked them a lot when I was little, so I've got a fair few. According to the price guide, my collection would be worth a small fortune. In reality, I'd probably be lucky if I could sell the whole thing for maybe $20, because the prices for BB have gone down so much that they're hardly worth anything. Well, I know that. But what if someone wants to sell their collection and tries to determine the prices with the help of that price guide? I mean, if prices are written down in a book, they have to be correct... right?

Offline EmBee

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 November 2010, 08:18 am »
I think old toys need to be at a fair price for both the seller and the buyer.

For the seller, make it worth his or her time spent identifying, describing, and taking photos of the item for some profit instead of donating it.

For the buyer, the understanding that it's an old used toy that only has value to the collector.  And just because an item is uncommon or old does not always mean it is particularly valuable.. but it will certainly make the seller a couple of extra bucks.

-Em
;)

Offline pikapal

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 November 2010, 09:25 am »
The funny thing is that I always see people trying to price Beanie Babies on Yahoo Answers. Barbies are also common. My favorite questions are the ones like: "I have a Barbie from 1998, but my sister colored on the face with red marker how much is it worth?"

Offline zuse

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 November 2010, 02:25 pm »
Em - I agree and definitely think that the seller is entitled to something for taking the time to identify, photograph, list, and sell the toy. Otherwise the buyer would never have the opportunity to purchase it and a market with few things listed is not going to be beneficial to the buyer either - especially if there is demand.

But just arbitrarily listing all your items at $65 no matter how worthless (even if you accept Best Offers) is just silly! :-X
« Last Edit: Wednesday 17 November 2010, 04:26 pm by zuse »

Offline Rider of the storm

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 November 2010, 04:19 pm »
Thanks guys I thought I was the only one who felt this way . I do not buy to many vintage toys any more the prices have gotten to high. I am trying to fill in gaps in my x-men collection but at the flea market here lose figures with no parts are four dollars each ! >:(  I can find a lot mint on card for 2 -10 dollars on amazon with shipping if I am really lucky I can find some with free shipping.   I have seen prices for ponies in ok shape jump from 25 cents a pony to four dollars depending on the seller. I used to find tons of toys cheep but with ebay now I pay a dollar or more for lose  toys with no parts in good shape.

Offline Snork_Maiden

« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 November 2010, 11:01 am »
Yes, it's the same where I live. Fleamarkets used to be such great places for getting cheap vintage toys, but these days, some sellers seem to have gone mad. I'm a student. I haven't got much money to spend on my pony collection. A couple of years ago, I could walk over a fleamarket and pick up a few ponies for little money every time, some of which were rare. That hasn't happened to me in ages. I think part of it is due to envy. People think that buyers will purchase their fleamarket stuff for cheap and then re-sell it on eBay and make a fortune. I always want to tell those people: Hey, if you think your things are worth so much, why don't you put them on eBay yourself and see what happens? I know there are a lot of re-sellers around, but that's no reason to make the prices extra high for everyone!

anything
anything