Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: What is a doll?  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Venefica

What is a doll?
« on: Sunday 28 November 2010, 04:42 pm »
What is a doll? Normally one would define the word to mean a model human being, or at least a model humanoid in the case of vampire or faerie or other supernatural creature doll, and still many sites and books list every toy modeled after a real or imaginary creature a doll, like a teddy bear or a toy horse, or a crab robot. And even if we go back to the model human theory, many would not categorize a statue as a doll or even for example a porcelain figurine, even if they are definitely model human beings or models of other humanoid creatures, and still many dolls are created not to be toys but decorative objects. So what are your definition of a doll?

Offline AngelBear

• 80's Toy Ark
Re: What is a doll?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 November 2010, 07:01 pm »
I would argue that a doll is a human figure. I certainly wouldn't call a My Little Pony a doll if I were selling it. MLPs are listed in eBay's categories as "toys" - so yeah, I would say it has to be human-oid.

Offline Rider of the storm

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 November 2010, 08:09 pm »
How I define  a doll: Has to meet at most of the fallowing criteria  but that is just me :

1. Aimed at mostly girls
2. Has brush-able hair
3.out fits you can dress it up in.
4. Is made of plastic or  Vinyl
5. In the case of barbie dolls has tons of friends
6. Is a human or humanoid
7. Can be played with unlike most porcelain dolls which are used mostly just to display.
8. In the case of barbie  and barbie like dolls has  play sets like cars , houses, horses ect.

The are some toys that are a  doll/action figure cross I guess ? ???  one would be she-ra yes you have out fits for her but she also has plastic parts /movement like other action figures .

Your thoughts on my list ?

Offline catlover51

« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 November 2010, 12:42 am »
What about a cloth human or -oid? Doll or plush?

Offline Snork_Maiden

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 November 2010, 09:28 am »
What about a cloth human or -oid? Doll or plush?

Both. Think of Raggedy Ann. It's a plush doll.

Offline apanda0622

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 December 2010, 02:56 pm »
I would say a doll is a human like figure--having human physical qualities, but maybe not looking exactly like a human--it has variations.  I do not consider a MLP a doll.

Offline hime

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 December 2010, 10:27 pm »
I tend to say a doll is any toy of a sentient being

Interesting note the term "action figure"  came about as a reult of the creator of the60s gi joes wanting to differentiate them froom dolls so he coined that term(forever dividinmg the toy isles)

anything