Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Holly Hobbie Doll? [Jan 2009]  (Read 4978 times)

Offline Ghost Of The Doll

• Administrator
    • Powder Monki
Holly Hobbie Doll? [Jan 2009]
« on: Sunday 07 March 2010, 06:25 pm »
Nadja emailed me this query about Holly Hobbie:

"I could have sworn that the Holly Hobbie doll I received as a child had a tummy filled with little plastic beads. I know this because after pining for one for what seemed like an eternity, finally on my 7th birthday I was presented with a Holly Hobbie doll.
It was the happiest 30 minutes of my life, till I felt her torso, grew very curious and cut her open with a pair of scissors! Translucent plastic beads came flying out everywhere. My mother was so mad at me, she did not even attempt to sew her back together. Most of her mid region was consumed by the vacuum cleaner. (It's no surprise to anyone I grew up to be a doctor!)
My husband has been trying to look for one ever since I told him this story but we have not found any of the kind I am talking about. I'm starting to think maybe I made a mistake, or maybe they were just taken off the market."
Please help, Nadja
Buy retro PIN BADGES and FRIDGE MAGNETS on Powder Monki!

• Administrator
    • Powder Monki
Re: Holly Hobbie Doll? [Jan 2009]
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 March 2010, 06:26 pm »
Holly Hobbie collector Kaylee http://www.dollinfo.com emailed me with this help:

"To the best of my knowledge, I do not know of any Holly Hobbie dolls that were bean filled, but because there were so many versions of her, and some were not necessarily licensed but rather imitations, it is possible that there was something like this made. The only various Holly Hobbie rag dolls that I have come across have been typical cloth cotton stuffed type. These were the ones licensed by Knickerbocker Toys. None have had beans. Because the Holly Hobbie country girl style was so popular during the 70s and 80s it is possible that your visitor may have mistaken her for a Holly Hobbie.
Because you are in the UK and if your reader might have been as well, there is also the possibility that a bean version of the doll was not released here in the US. Thus, I haven't found any information on a bean version in my reference books."

Offline EmBee

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 January 2011, 05:40 am »
If we can still contact this user, I'd like to know some more information on the doll.  Was the rest of her just plush?  What did she look like and what did she wear?  Around what year was she 7?

Thanks,
-Em
;)

• Administrator
    • Powder Monki
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 January 2011, 06:58 pm »
I've just emailed Nadia with the link to her topic. Hopefully she'll reply!