Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Making Displays ... I need help ...  (Read 4891 times)

Offline Fabian

• I <3 old toys ! :D
Making Displays ... I need help ...
« on: Monday 17 January 2011, 07:40 pm »
Hi ,
I'm new to the forum and I would like to say Hi first off !  :)

Second is the subject that I need help with :

I am making Huge displays for in my bedroom. these will be Made up of MDF .
And will be going all around the room in difrrent shapes and Sizes.
Thing I need help with is What would be the best way to keep my old Toys
Clean .. I mean the display is one thing but If It takes me a day to clean it
and I have to clean them every 2-4 days Its not that good then is it ...

So I would like to know Is there any tips on making these and How to keep them clean?

Thanks for the help in advance !

Fabian !

P.S. sorry for bad english ...  ;)
If you want to add me on MSN...ASK 1st (I only add people I know normally or have A general need to talk too .)

Offline mouse

Re: Making Displays ... I need help ...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 January 2011, 01:11 am »
I''ve seen some people put plastic over their shelving - you can still see the toys but dust can't get to them. The way I've seen it done is with zippers at intervals so you can un zip the plastic and view/change the toys and the plastic sheeting is easy to replace afterwards.

Offline AngelBear

• 80's Toy Ark
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 January 2011, 02:04 am »
I heard an air purifier will clean the dust out of your air and reduce the amount of dusting needed. Please post pics when you're done!

Offline Fabian

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 January 2011, 05:59 pm »
Yep am planning on uploading some photos of there current display :( what just happens to be a shelved rack ... I know its lame but I clean them now and then ! :) Like today :)

I love TY beanie babies !

I dont know if anyone els likes them here?

Also the idea of an air purifier would be A very GOOD idea seen as I am asmatic and Need to keep my Room clean of dust :( My Mother is always moaning about how my TY Beanies Pull the dust to them very fast :(

So a Air purifier would be a VERY good idea :)

But to mouse I would rather not get started playing around with plastic unless it was hard Plastic stuff like they use on mythbusters and things like that ...

I Have edited my 1st idea to half the size but it will still be big ! Reason being that my room is not that big and if I am going to fit my TV in there my PC and my other stuff + bed and other normal room things :p
I wont have much space left for me :p
So it will be sort of 1.5 meters by 2.5 meters then 1.5 by 1.5 meter box like things what is a good lot of space for my collections :) hehe
If you want to add me on MSN...ASK 1st (I only add people I know normally or have A general need to talk too .)

Offline EmBee

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 12:08 am »
@Fabian
I love my Beanie Babies, they are from my childhood.  We look forward to seeing your collection.

So I read a magazine article yesterday about dusting.  Some of this stuff may be common knowledge to some of you but I found it pretty neat:

1. Never use a feather duster, they only spread dust around.
2. Spray cleaning product on the cloth first, so you don't use too much of it.  A moist residue from excessive cleaner will only attract dust.
3. Dust then vacuum in that order, since sometimes dust falls to the ground.
4. You can use a hair dryer on cool to blow away dust then vacuum it up later if you would rather not move the objects.
5. For soft toys that have dust on them, place them in the dryer on air fluff dry (no heat).
6. Another option for soft toys is putting them into a large plastic bag with 1 or more cups of baking soda.  Secure the top and shake it up well.  The baking soda and static will draw out the soil and dust.  Remove the items one at a time and shake off the powder, vacuum it up.
7. Cleaning your ceiling fan regularly with a damp cloth can really minimize dust being spread around.
8. 60% of dust inside a home comes from outdoors.  For this reason try to store shoes in a way that they won't spread dust and dirt around.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/heloise/cleaning/home-dusting-tips?click=main_sr
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091028114023.htm

I can't find the article online but it was from Good Housekeeping magazine.

-Em
;)

Offline Fabian

« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 06:22 am »
@Em
Nice tips you are going there ;)
I love the one with baking soda that is one I my self have never heard of ... just would the baking soda get into the soft toys?
Also I have'nt got as many beanie babies as I wish I had :(
Soon I will have more :) Hoping to get about 20ish more soon ;)
I just love them all to bits :)

The air fluff dry option we dont have on are dryer sadly :(
but I am maybe going to try that baking soda option depending on if it was to get into the soft toys ;)
because some of my older soft toys (15-20 year old ones) have some dust on them and I have been wondering the best way to get it off :D

Anyways thanks for the help so far, hope to hear from you again ;)

Offline EmBee

« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 January 2011, 09:52 am »
You're very welcome.  You know Build-A-Bear sells brushes for stuffed animals: http://www.buildabear.com/shopping/productDetail.jsp?productId=prod82514&categoryId=cat110008 .  I think any brush with short, relatively close bristles would work well to get off the baking soda and the dust that it gathers.  I hope it works for you.

-Em
;)

Offline Fabian

« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 03:10 am »
@em

they used to have a Build-A-bear not that far from here but it closed down :( I dont know why but it just did one day :( I got one bear from my lovely sweet for my b-Day one yeah :-) shes so sweet :) hehe but yeah I dont know What to do :( I mean the baking soda sounds good but i'm scared that the baking soda might make them smell funny ...

@all

I heard that hovering them off one by one what i've tried with no success is supost to be bad for them is that right?

Offline EmBee

« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 January 2011, 08:13 pm »
Oh, well it's certainly completely up to you but from what I know baking soda absorbs odor very well.  People put it in their fridge all the time for the purpose.  The only thing baking soda was never successful with for me was cigarette smoke on one of my Barbies.

-Em
;)

Offline Rider of the storm

« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 January 2011, 03:23 am »
Thanks for the tips Em.  I have some stuffed animals that need to be cleaned so I have a good idea on how to clean them now .

Offline Fabian

« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 January 2011, 09:41 am »
@Em

Yeah cigarette smoke is EVIL !!!

@all thanks for the help :)

anything
anything