Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: What was this scary 90s skit with toys coming to life at night?  (Read 6954 times)

Offline ForeverKokiri

What was this scary 90s skit with toys coming to life at night?
« on: Friday 12 October 2012, 06:31 am »

Offline TheMinorityof1990

Re: What was this scary 90s skit with toys coming to life at night?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 October 2012, 07:51 pm »
That robot looks familiar.

There was a film about toys coming to life at christmas time and a doll - one of the main charactors - wanting to be the toy at the top of the child's stocking, but finding out she couldn't be, coz a new toy was in that place. It had a happy ending though I think.

But the child was a girl.

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 2012, 03:54 am »
I don't know what ForeverKokiri is referring to, but I do know what theminorityof1990 is referring to.

Jim Henson's The Christmas Toy

You can watch it on Youtube.  I love this special:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhTVdQsNpxI&feature=list_other&playnext=1&list=SPE3DAB3C5CEB01828

Except the toy that wanted to be the girl's toy was a male stuffed tiger named Rugby.  And it was under the tree.  Still, I'm fairly certain this is what you're talking about.   My favorite was the cat's toy.

That special actually spawned a television series on the Disney Channel called "The Secret Life of Toys"  This was the opening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWqL2C28Js

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 October 2012, 04:54 am »
Minority, that's definitely not it. These were actual toys, not puppets, and CERTAINLY not Muppets!

Offline Miss Katherine

• Misfit Clarice
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 January 2013, 04:07 am »
That WAS a Sesame Street skit! I definitely remember it, too, and you're right; it was mostly shown in episodes throughout the 1990s. The most recently I have ever seen it is the early to mid 2000s, when Sesame Workshop still co-owned the channel then known as Noggin and older SS episodes were shown in re-runs. It actually frightened me a bit, too - probably between the ominous-sounding music and the fact that I'd never really seen classic tin toys as a young child. Like you, the robot is what I remember most clearly. :)

anything