Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: 10 banned toys article & disturbing  (Read 24639 times)

Offline invaderhorizongreen

Re: 10 banned toys article & disturbing
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 05 November 2011, 11:55 pm »
well let the kid have their fun any toy could be potentially dangerous if used improperly.

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #31 on: Sunday 06 November 2011, 01:39 pm »
Oh, for sure! I had no plans to take it away from him. Surely if he hits himself in the eye with it, he'll only do it once. ;)

Offline kiddy2468

« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 08 November 2011, 01:44 am »
Sky dancers are a banned toy? My sisters and I still have them and the only thing that ever happened with ours was that they had to rescued more than once from the garage roof by our dad. We were only to play with them outside.

Offline TheMinorityof1990

« Reply #33 on: Saturday 28 April 2012, 08:45 pm »
I still have my sky dancers. I had trouble getting them launched, so my brothers normally played with them more.

I have one big one, she's mostly green. Her launching thing is a tree trunk, covered flowers. The string has a butterfly at the end. And two little ones, one green, one purple. Their launchers are carousal rabbits, one white, one pinky purple.

Offline MsTwilight

« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 27 June 2012, 08:39 pm »
You would think CNBC could get it's info right.  ::)

Cabbage Patch Snacktime Kids

The Cabbage Patch Kids line was introduced by Mattel at the 1983 International Toy Fair in New York City. It enjoyed blockbuster sales throughout the decade, and demand was so great that it inspired several spin-off products, such as a breakfast cereal and a diaper brand.

CPK Toys were introduced by Coleco not Mattel in 1983. Again this was the toy line. The CPK line started out as "Little People" by Xavier Roberts 1977.  In 1982 the name was changed to "Cabbage Patch Kids" and Coleco got the rights to start producing the vinyl faced toys. For those that don't collect... the soft face dolls are considered artwork, the hard faced dolls are toys. ;)

Offline jazzmatazz

« Reply #35 on: Monday 30 July 2012, 06:57 pm »
I have that eating cabbage patch doll! I gifted her to a friend since I cannot legally sell it being a recalled toy. That is my understanding of selling those... been meaning to visit my friend and get some good photos of her XD

Offline TheMinorityof1990

« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 22 August 2012, 06:58 pm »
I still can't believe I missed the entire sky dancer recall. My mum missed it too. Still, I'm glad I've still got them.

The homeless girl doll sounds pretty cool lol. It's the kinda toy that would have appealed to me.

Offline blotertom

« Reply #37 on: Thursday 30 August 2012, 04:10 am »
ni ce  , thanks for you sharing it

Offline dolliecrazy

« Reply #39 on: Thursday 08 November 2012, 06:30 pm »
some of these are too funny. I am just reading the one about the pregnant Midge doll. How she promotes teen pregnancy. I don't get how a doll that is supposed to be married and is not a teenager promotes teen pregnancy. I had this doll new in box for awhile thought she might be worth something. She wasn't and i sold her at my yard sale years ago lol

Offline DLAMDiva

« Reply #40 on: Monday 27 January 2014, 05:32 am »
You would think CNBC could get it's info right.  ::)

Cabbage Patch Snacktime Kids

The Cabbage Patch Kids line was introduced by Mattel at the 1983 International Toy Fair in New York City. It enjoyed blockbuster sales throughout the decade, and demand was so great that it inspired several spin-off products, such as a breakfast cereal and a diaper brand.

CPK Toys were introduced by Coleco not Mattel in 1983. Again this was the toy line. The CPK line started out as "Little People" by Xavier Roberts 1977.  In 1982 the name was changed to "Cabbage Patch Kids" and Coleco got the rights to start producing the vinyl faced toys. For those that don't collect... the soft face dolls are considered artwork, the hard faced dolls are toys. ;)

That isn't the only thing CNBC got wrong in that article. I have the Gwen Thompson doll, and a lot of things in the write-up about her aren't exactly accurate. She was actually manfuactured as a friend for a different American Girl doll named Chrissa, the Girl of the Year doll for 2009. While there were some people who didn't like her because she "encourages kids to feel sympathy for the homeless", most of the controversy was because parents thought her backstory was too scary for children in light of an economic downturn, however she "disappeared after a few months" because she was retired at the end of 2009, not because of any complaints about her being homeless.

Also, the line about her living in a car was taken out of context. In the Chrissa books, her father abandoned her, and her mom was unable to keep up with the bills on her own. They actually lived in a homeless shelter until the end of book 1 when Gwen's mom could afford to rent an apartment, and the fact that they ever lived in a car was only mentioned in passing.

Most of the GOTY dolls support some cause, and Chrissa's was anti-bullying. In the books, Gwen was very shy, and she was picked on because she didn't have much money or fashionable clothes. I think the idea behind her was to teach girls to befriend those less fortunate, not make fun of them, and to dispel the negative stereotypes about the homeless.

Sorry for that long-winded explanation... I just wanted to clear up a few things aout Gwen.