Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: frog ride-on toy (metal, hopping action)  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Rrilltrae

frog ride-on toy (metal, hopping action)
« on: Monday 22 March 2010, 12:53 am »
Since I got such a quick response on my last mystery toy, I figured I'd through another one out thats been plaguing me...

This toy is an outdoor ride-on/ride-in toy shaped like a frog.  It was played with throughout the mid-late 80's but may be much older, as my sibs are 12 years older than me.  I'm fairly certain is was made out of pressed metal, dark green with a more-or-less realistic spotty frog pattern on it. 

The key to this is going to be the action;  I'm pretty sure it had a lever with a black knob for the control.  In one setting, frog would be stationary and the seat that was housed by the metal body could be swung freely (suitable for younger kids). 

In the other setting, the swing would become much harder to move, but when you swung forward, the frog would actually move a step forward. I'm assuming it probably had some sort of flat sided gear that was engaged in this setting, so it would have a little lifting action on the forward swing and would land on the next flat side, making it "hop".

The closest I've come is a fuzzy picture from a catalog that looked similar, with no way of knowing whether it had any special action to it or not.  This toy fell victim to my mother backing into the driveway in her station wagon, and was stamped flat instead of shattering (making me even more sure it was a metal frame)

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Offline EricaVee

Re: frog ride-on toy (metal, hopping action)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 March 2010, 04:22 pm »
If that picture is online, could you link to it or post it here? I'm having a hard time picturing the toy, although it sounds pretty neat. Also, what do you think is the oldest the toy could be?
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)
-Lady Lovely Locks Seek & Peek board game
-Used/nude Fashionista Ken

Offline Rrilltrae

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 March 2010, 01:56 am »
Unfortunately I can't find the picture, the link I had for it is dead, and I can't find the copy I saved off.  I think that the toy I found the picture of was from a Marx ride-on section of an old department store catalog, but I hunted that lead down with no success...

At the oldest I would say probably early 70's... the body was kindof a realistic frog shape in some kind of mold-pressed metal, with a cut-out in his back that the seat was recessed into. the seat may have been some kind of leathery vinyl that I vaguely remember being light brown, but given how long ago this was I'm going on sense memory...i rode this toy around the same time I fit on a strawberry shortcake tricycle.

Offline EricaVee

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 March 2010, 03:58 am »
I've been looking at Marx ride-on toys and I went through one of the Sears wishbook catalogs that was posted on the other thread with no success, but there are plenty more catalogs uploaded from the 40's through 1992. They are here if you want to look through them!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wishbook/collections/72157600003636126/

If they were a widely available toy it's a good chance they are in there somewhere. I'll keep looking through them, too.

EDIT: This is a better catalog site: http://wishbookweb.com/
« Last Edit: Tuesday 23 March 2010, 11:51 pm by EricaVee »
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)
-Lady Lovely Locks Seek & Peek board game
-Used/nude Fashionista Ken

anything