Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: [ID: Baby Dear by Playmates] Baby Doll  (Read 5114 times)

Offline BondGirlOO17

[ID: Baby Dear by Playmates] Baby Doll
« on: Monday 02 January 2012, 02:02 am »
I don't have the doll in question anymore, so I've had to find a picture from ebay that looks how I remember her looking. The picture is a Playmates doll, but I couldn't find any listings that said what the doll's name was.

She would be around 13 inches tall and her eyes would close when she was laid down. Mine came wearing a white dress with a white bonnet. As far as I know she didn't have any accessories, but I'm not 100% sure.

« Last Edit: Sunday 08 January 2012, 11:14 pm by BondGirlOO17 »

Offline Rachel-Eyes

Re: Baby Doll
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 2012, 03:10 am »
That doll's little face looks really familiar to me. About what time frame would you have had it? My brother and I both had similar ones when we were kids in the early '90s, but if your doll is a bit older it's possible that they came from the same company/mold. We're moving, so boxes are down from the attic and if I can find his, because I don't have mine anymore, I'll take a picture for you and look for some marks.  ;D

ETA: Forgot to mention... are her limbs poseable?
« Last Edit: Monday 02 January 2012, 03:15 am by Rachel-Eyes »

Calling all teddy experts! Please help me find my Cuddle Bear!

Offline BondGirlOO17

« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 2012, 04:04 am »
I probably got her around 1988-1992. I don't think she was easily poseable, but like the leg in the picture is twisted, if you held the cloth body you could sort of spin the arms/legs/head.

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 2012, 05:23 pm »
That looks like the baby doll from Toy Story 3. He had a heart shaped necklace that said "My Heart Belongs to ________________" on him, and I remember that being on a real baby doll from the 90s... if only I could remember what doll it was! Did your doll have a necklace like that?

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 January 2012, 12:15 am »
I probably got her around 1988-1992. I don't think she was easily poseable, but like the leg in the picture is twisted, if you held the cloth body you could sort of spin the arms/legs/head.

1988-1992 sounds about right, but the fact that it's cloth and not solid plastic falsifies my own memory. (I thought the pink around the legs in the picture were a pair of shorts...) Sorry if I got your hopes up.  :-[ It does look like the TS3 baby, so maybe that's where I had seen it if it was based off of a real doll.

Calling all teddy experts! Please help me find my Cuddle Bear!

Offline BondGirlOO17

« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 January 2012, 07:03 pm »
My doll didn't have any kind of necklace. I'm pretty sure the Playmates doll in the picture is the right doll, but in the wrong clothes, although the bonnet might be the same. Her facial features look the same, as do her hands, particularly how the fingers are curled up on one hand. She had to have been roughly the same size as my Baby Soft Love doll (13.5") because I would trade their clothes sometimes.
I've been trying to find a list or something online with pictures of all the different Playmates dolls over the years, but so far no luck.

Offline Audrey

« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 January 2012, 12:29 pm »
This doll looks similar and provides some more information: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Playmates-Black-Baby-Doll-RARE-/370448965139

Offline BondGirlOO17

« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 January 2012, 06:20 pm »
Yeah, that looks like the same doll. I wish they had known the doll's name.

Offline Audrey

« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 January 2012, 05:14 am »
I think I found her.  The Tiara Dolls by Playmates Baby Dear: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIARA-DOLLS-1981-PLAYMATES-BABY-DEAR-12-/320708540133

Offline Audrey

« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 January 2012, 05:24 am »
Here's the image of her in the box in case ebay pulls the listing:

Offline BondGirlOO17

« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 January 2012, 07:05 pm »
Yay! Now I can try to find a new one of her too! Thanks Audrey!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 January 2012, 10:54 pm »
perhaps they went under or were bought out??

anything