Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Hair Care for Dolls  (Read 3754 times)

Offline ecpblue

• Check out Precious Places on Facebook!!
    • Precious Places
Hair Care for Dolls
« on: Monday 13 February 2012, 03:49 am »
I found this site that seems to have some great hair care tips for dolls and possibly MLPs as well Thanks pitrest) :-), check it out:

http://www.justmagicdolls.com/articles/HairCare/AdvancedHair.htm#steam
Please "like" my precious places facebook page!! 
https://www.facebook.com/PreciousPlaces

Offline luckdragon

Re: Hair Care for Dolls
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 February 2012, 04:27 am »
I restore My Child dolls and have restored 7 so far and know a bit about hair work on dolls.

They're right about the fabric softener for the hair.  It will give them a strong fabric softener smell though, but luckily the smell wears off in two weeks.  I'll sometimes use baby shampoo on doll wigs and it seems fine.  I only use the fabric softener on dolls that stubbornly get a gummy feeling to the hair and/or don't dry with shiny hair.

I find it interesting that they recommend a wig brush.  What I use is a dog brush from the dollar store.  I use one that's got bristles on one side for depilling the My Child dolls, and pins on the other.  The pin bristle side works excellent on doll wigs.  Goes through them well and doesn't mess them up.

So, buy a dog brush for your doll hair (including MLPs).  Of course if you're like me and have a dog, keep a separate brush for your dog.  ;)

Offline tropical

• Macy Makes Magic
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 2012, 10:35 am »
fabric softener makes doll hair worse in the long run, and you can buy unscented types of fabric softener, but I had bad lucky with it. Really bad tangles try pinesol which is like an oil that soaks into the frizzy hair and can make it nice again. I wash hair with eucalan wash if the hair is not very dirty and Dr. Bronner's liquid soap unscented baby mild if the hair is dirty. Comb the hair if possible, and I allow the hair to air dry, hot dryers and heat lamps can melt the hair. Don't use strong scents because they do stay in the hair forever and can be very over powering to someone like me how has allergies. I had to discard some ebay doll as they smelled very strongly of fabric softener and the seller had not disclosed this. It won't work to cover up smoke smell. A soaking in vinegar water can remove some smells from hair, but not musty attic smell, smoke, or strong fabric softener.

Offline hazelanne123

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 November 2012, 05:35 am »
hi...thanks for sharing the link...its really a nice tips in taking good care of doll's hair.. :)

Offline Albertharris

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 May 2013, 01:06 pm »
For best styling results, lightly water your doll's hair with the water as required before you brush. Use just enough the water to make the water simpler to work with. When cleaning or choosing your doll's hairs for the first time, some reduce hairs will come off. You never use styling products such as gels, mousses, etc.

Offline amysmith7

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 June 2013, 08:49 am »

anything