Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Has anyone ever cleaned a Little Pretty?  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

Has anyone ever cleaned a Little Pretty?
« on: Tuesday 29 May 2012, 08:04 pm »
About six month ago, I bought a Little Pretty from a thrift store and there is no doubt in my mind that she was once somebody's bath toy. Her hair is super frizzy, and when I pulled the neck slightly apart I found little black grains of rust and filth. I haven't taken the head completely off yet. I'm too afraid to.

She's a Glitter n Grow, so I'm honestly a bit clueless about how to even start. (It's Melody the puppy, if that's important.) I'd preferably like to rehair her but keep her mechanism intact. Before I decapitate her, I'm wondering if anyone here has done it before, so I can know what to expect. I asked on another forum before, but the only response I got was someone seconding in that they were wondering the same thing.

Is there a tutorial out there? Or should I be a brave little toaster and try it on my own?  ;D

Calling all teddy experts! Please help me find my Cuddle Bear!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

Re: Has anyone ever cleaned a Little Pretty?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 May 2012, 01:45 am »
I would use some antibacteral soap or some oxyclean unless it is flocked. other than that the black stuff could be rust, dirt, or what is called smooze that is a bacteria.  As for the hair i would try to use some baby shampoo on it as that will be rather gentle with it.  I will however tell you to beware of anything that has acetone in it that may damage the toy.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 June 2012, 09:28 pm »
Thanks, invader.  :) I always keep a bottle of Dawn soap in the bathroom for icky ponies/other things as well as an old toothbrush for scrubbing if needed, and a brand of conditioner that I don't use on my own hair, just for my dolls. With Melody though, I have a feeling that her hair may be beyond repair and I think I'm going to try rehairing her if it can't be saved.

What I'm asking though, is about the mechanism for the hair. Does it work the same way as a My Little Pony Brush n Grow? I've never cleaned one of those either. I'm clueless about how I should go about it while keeping the mechanism intact.

Calling all teddy experts! Please help me find my Cuddle Bear!

Offline mlpMerriweather

« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 November 2012, 05:11 am »
I don't think they have a "mechanism," so to speak. Unlike the ponies, whose heads turn to make their tail shorter, the pets' hair will only shorten if the tail is pulled, and vice versa. I assume that either the hair and tail are connected, or that they are one. I have never cleaned the inside of one with growing hair, and I would not suggest it, unless you are willing to risk being unable to put them back together. Good luck!

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 November 2012, 04:05 am »
I've never cleaned one, but I would use Ponyland Press's guide to cleaning a My Little Pony as help:
http://www.ponylandpress.com/