Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: 2 Small Dolls: Mermaid in Shell + Pink Haired  (Read 14250 times)

Offline Fluttershy

2 Small Dolls: Mermaid in Shell + Pink Haired
« on: Monday 07 June 2010, 07:01 am »
Dear Ghost of a Doll :)
I have this one doll in particular that I've never ever been able to identify (trust me, I've tried)... and I'd love some help trying to figure out what she is.
Here is a pic of a doll very similar to her. She is the one on the right. I do not own this doll, I found this pic on Ebay after it had ended.  :(

Other things about her:
She had blue hair unlike the one in the pic, but it was in the same style.
I got her around 1993 at a birthday party. I assume she wasn't TOO cheap/generic cause I got her by herself from one of the other kids. The one I had wore the same dress.
She had a shell (like a 'conch shell' I think) come with her. It was cream coloured and in the shape of a pouch (a bit like a kangaroo has) and you were meant to put her inside it with her head sticking out the top. The shell was made of plastic. Sort of like early MLP plastic. You MIGHT have been able to remove her tail so she can have legs. I can't remember whether she had a tail or legs. :S
I have this other doll as well, which looks to be from a series because she had her own stamper made of her plus the doll. I still have her though, so Its just out of interest that I want to know who she is. She is marked M.I.I  and those clothes aren't hers. Second pic is mine (sorry for the quality!). The first is from ebay.  Their hair is light pink. She was a 90s doll.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
Re: 2 Small Dolls: Mermaid in Shell + Pink Haired
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 June 2010, 07:14 am »
Well, the second one is going to be by the Meritus brand. I'll look and see which it might be. :)
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline pikapal

« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 June 2010, 10:39 am »
I have a doll just like the pink haired mermaid, but mine has purple hair. I got mine at a county fair at one of those generic cheapy toy booths. Mine came with another mermaid. I don't have the other mermaid anymore. She had pink hair and a iridescent yellow stuffed tail. Her body was just a cheap hollow torso. Eventually the string that connected the torso to the tail unraveled and all the stuffing came out of the tail and it couldn't be repaired. They were called "Mermaid Sisters".

The dress on mine ripped, so now she just wears it as a halter top. The doll does have legs. I got mine circa 1992 or 1993.

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 June 2010, 10:50 am »
I don't know if it is of any interest or not, but I have a cheapie Kelly type doll called "Baby Mermaid" and on the back of her card it shows what are called "Bath Time Mermaids". It looks like they have the same tail as the mermaid you are after. They don't have the same body or head, and are wearing little bra things rather than the dress. If you'd like to see I'll upload a picture for you.

Offline pikapal

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 June 2010, 01:43 am »
Here are some pictures of my similar mermaid.

Offline Fluttershy

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 June 2010, 05:13 am »
Wow, in the space of a day, you guys already know more about my beloved mermaid than I've been able to find out in about 6 years of searching!

I know there are holes in my memory about what her face and body exactly looked like, since I was about 3 when I got her, and she was lost only about 5 years later (which was devastating, to me she was the prettiest small doll I had)... but her shell outlived her for another 5 years or so after that and I can picture that more clearly, so I always thought if I saw a mermaid similar to the one in the picture since I'm about 80% that was exactly her, but she came in THAT shell then I would instantly know -for sure- it was her.
The only luck I ever had looking for her was typing in 'Sea Wees' on ebay. That's how I found the pic I had of her.

Pikapal: The pic you posted does look like another one in her 'series'...I think she's awesome anyway! I would never have thought she would be like a carnival prize though, she never felt cheap to me or anything. I definately never ever had any doll like the 'other sister' doll. I suppose its possible that the little girl who gave it to me got both from a fair and kept one and gave me the other for my birthday as I can't remember at all how she was packaged (would have been torn off in a nanosecond)... but up until now I would have sworn she came from the shops. 

BattySparkles: I'm very interested in seeing any and all pics even vaguely related to my mermaid doll! :)

Zuse: Wow, you know the brand of my other doll already? That's awesome! I saw that brand mentioned here when I was going through posts to make sure nobody had asked about these here before... :)

Thanks so much to you all for being interested in finding out who my dolls are!

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 June 2010, 01:04 pm »
Sorry it took me so long!

I dunno why I didn't take a picture of the front. If anyone wants me to I can. The one I own is the blue one from the "Baby Mermaids"

Offline EmBee

« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 June 2010, 07:14 pm »
I recognize those stamper dolls... darn it!  Haha!

-Em
;)

Offline mouse

« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 June 2010, 11:52 am »
I remember the adult mermaid doll. They're really, really cheaply made, the plastic is hollow and thinner than a sheet of a paper.

Offline BeckieAnn

• MySpace
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 June 2010, 07:05 pm »
mouse is right, i have two of the adult mermaids, and they're really low quality.

Offline Ianua

« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 June 2010, 07:07 pm »
and blow away in a slight breeze I had one too

Offline pikapal

« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 June 2010, 12:57 am »
Here is a crude paint drawing of what the other mermaid sister looked like.

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 April 2011, 01:34 pm »
I may have found something..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60641505@N06/5582814114/in/photostream

Steffi Love by Simba. Simba has used the same type of mermaid dolls throughout the years-there's even a new version of the Mermaid Twins on the market right now, but of what I've found these ones match the closest.

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 July 2017, 01:12 am »
I think the stamper doll is related to the Kool Kids dolls my Meritus I posted elsewhere. But the stamper one isn't on the packaging. There's one with the rest of the base for sale on eBay loose. I don't know about the actual doll version that wears clothes.
« Last Edit: Tuesday 11 July 2017, 01:15 am by zuse »
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

anything
anything