Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Stuffed animal  (Read 4753 times)

Offline Tony Bailey

Stuffed animal
« on: Monday 17 September 2012, 03:49 pm »
Hello all,

What is the safest way to clean a stuffed animal? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Tony

Offline luckdragon

Re: Stuffed animal
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 September 2012, 04:21 pm »
How dirty is the stuffed animal?  And can you still read the tag?  The tag will mention if it can be machine washed or surface washed.

I cleaned a Coca-Cola Polar Bear stuffed animal a few months ago that I found at a thrift store (was just like my favorite stuffed animal as a kid except looked better).  It had some brown spots on the white fur, so I cleaned it like how I clean My Child dolls.

I used baby shampoo I got from the dollar store, a washcloth, and cold water.  Wet the washcloth and apply shampoo to a corner of it.  Wet the stuffed animal by scrubbing it with the non-shampooed end.  Then shampoo with the shampooed end.  Rinse with the non-shampooed end.  If it's deep stains, apply shampoo directly to the trouble spot and massage in.  Then rinse under cold running water. 

Once you've finished rinsing, squeeze well and make sure no soap bubbles come out.  If soap bubbles come out, rinse again.

Set animal out to dry.

Offline pikapal

« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 September 2012, 07:32 pm »

Offline Tony Bailey

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 October 2012, 01:08 pm »
Hello friends,

Thanks for sharing your good information, Extremely I am highly appreciated here.

Best of luck
Tony Bailey

Offline emery

• emery's emporium
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 October 2012, 09:13 am »
I'm not sure if you are near a Lowe's store but they sell a great product called Folex that I have used for spot cleaning plush toys.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_31704-11298-FSR32_0__?productId=1083045&Ntt=folex&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dfolex&facetInfo=

I cleaned a Puppy Brite with it and took some pics:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2858802706076.2149417.1139881928&type=1&l=68a871b930

"Like" my store on Facebook to see when

Offline finfolk

« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 October 2012, 04:28 pm »
I'm not sure if you are near a Lowe's store but they sell a great product called Folex that I have used for spot cleaning plush toys.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_31704-11298-FSR32_0__?productId=1083045&Ntt=folex&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dfolex&facetInfo=

I cleaned a Puppy Brite with it and took some pics:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2858802706076.2149417.1139881928&type=1&l=68a871b930

This actually is really helpful for me, honestly. I have a Kenner Care Bear who is FILTHY but I cannot really wash him, even spot wash him to get anything up. It's just pretty bad. I want to keep him so I think I am going to try this! Thank you so much! I am glad I read these posts! C:

Offline hazelanne123

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 November 2012, 05:18 am »
These are general hints for cleaning stuffed animals.  I hope they are helpful but use them at your own risk!

Start by checking for a tag from the manufacturer that might have cleaning instructions.  There are many types of stuffed animals and the manufacturers instructions are usually best
    If there are no instructions or they aren't readable any more there are still options
        Questions that you need to answer (or at least give your best shot) are
            Is this a general de-griming job or are you cleaning a specific stain?  See the appropriate section below.
            If it is a specific stain do you know what substance had the audacity to soil such a near and dear friend?
            What is the stuffed animal made of ? (many are polyester)
            Has the stain had time to dry or is it still fresh?
    General De-Griming
        If the item was designed for young infants many are designed to be washable since infants put them through the initial rinse and soak cycle...their mouths.  Cozies are typical examples of this kind of item.  Most are polyester or other washable material and have sewn on details and can easily be put in the washing machine.  See instructions below.
        If the stuffed animal is stiff and non-flexible we recommend a surface cleaning only.  The entire surface can be cleaned but use caution not to saturate the stuffed animal surface material.  See surface cleaning instructions below.
        If the stuffed animal is filled with beans we recommend surface cleaning only.  See surface cleaning instructions below.
        Many animals have polyester fiber stuffing.  This is great "stuff".  It is generally washable and tends to be better than cotton for considerations like allergies and cleaning.  How do you know if you can wash your stuffed animal?
            Is it soft and squishy? A yes answer is good.
            Does it have items that are glued on? A no answer is good.
            Does it make sounds or have moving joints? A no answer is good.
            Is it a medium-ish sized stuffed animal - meaning most kids would carry it with them when playing or snuggle when sleeping? A yes answer is good.
            Does it have hard items attached like buttons or protruding eyes? A no answer is best.
                If yes, are they sewn, or riveted in place? A yes answer is good.
                If no we recommend surface cleaning only.
            Does your stuffed animal have non-removable accessories that are bright colors, leather, fur, or other natural animal fibers?  If yes we recommend surface cleaning.
            If all of your answers were "good" then it is reasonably likely that you can wash your stuffed animal.  See instructions below.
            If your answers aren't all "good" then we recommend surface cleaning.

How to Wash a Stuffed Animal (we call it De-Griming)

We recommend using a mild detergent like Woolite, Dreft, or Ivory which is ph balanced.
            We don't recommend using a fabric softener; especially for infants.  While it can make things smell fresh and nice it accomplishes the task by leaving a mild chemical on or near the surface.  If your infant still puts everything in their mouth they will be sucking this off.
            Remove any removable accessories and clothes.  If they need washing wash them separately.
            Place the stuffed animal in a lingerie bag.  A pillowcase will also work but doesn't get things quite as clean; tie it closed with a string or similar fastener.
            Using a cold or warm water setting place the lingerie bag in the washing machine and set the water level
                It can help to put in a clean towel or two to balance the load on spin cycles and provide some cushioning
                Use the recommended amount of detergent for the size load
            After washing, take the stuffed animal out of the lingerie bag and place in a warm dry place keeping in mind that many stuffed animals are very feng shui sensitive.
                If there are no protruding hard surfaces you can consider about 10-15 minutes in the drier on one of the cooler temperature settings.  You can also put the stuffed animal inside a pillow case to add protection in the drier; if you do this add a few minutes to the dry time.  If you check your little buddies and they seem to be doing fine after the initial 10-15 minutes you can let them continue their dry cycle.
                If you have protruding hard surfaces then you can follow the process above but definitely use a pillowcase.  You can also put a clean dry hand towel or 2 in the pillow case for padding.
                Another option is the stuffed animal styling salon.  Use a hair blow drier to accelerate air drying.  Sometimes kids can get into the concept of a salon event.
                The objective is to dry the stuffed animal fast enough that it doesn't mildew but slow enough that it doesn't get damaged by the heat and motion.

How to Surface Clean a Stuffed Animal
            This is an interesting puzzle.  Many manufacturers recommend "Surface Cleaning Only" but they're frequently silent on the process.  Here's ours:
                Get a white washcloth; rinse it out with warm water; ring it dry.
                Get some mild liquid detergent like Woolite, Ivory, or Dreft
                Fill a sink with about 4 inches of water and add some of the liquid detergent using the amount recommended by the manufacturer.
                Dip a washcloth in the soapy water and ring it out until it is just damp (not dripping)
                Try cleaning an inconspicuous section of the stuffed animal
                Wait a few minutes to make sure no issues start to develop
                Assuming everything still looks good, continue cleaning the remainder of the stuffed animal
                Refill the sink with clean cool water and wipe the surface with a barely damp, clean washcloth to remove the soap
                Allow to air dry or blow dry with a hair drier.

A Final Word on Cleaning Stuffed Animals

If you are going to send the stuffed animal buddy to the great landfill in the sky anyway it's probably worth the risk of the wash.  You might just end up with an amazingly clean stuffed animal friend.

source: stuffedzoo.com