Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Ballerina doll  (Read 6339 times)

Offline luckdragon

Ballerina doll
« on: Monday 11 March 2013, 06:00 am »
Okay, I have no picture of it, so this is from memory.  The doll was full plastic, about 12 inches tall, Caucasian with rooted blonde hair (probably blue-eyed).  She had a molded pink crown on her head, that you would pump to make her spin (simple crown that was kind of smallish.  You'd pull it up and under it, would be a pink pole that would go into the doll's head.  Then, you would push it down, and as it went down, she spun.  Bring it back up, push it down, you get the picture).  She had molded ballet shoes on her feet.  She came with a barre and I think a mirror.  The doll had articulated arms that you could position via the shoulders, elbows, and wrists.  Her hands were molded to grip the barre.  Her neck turned.  Her legs could be posed by the thighs, knees, and ankles (could make her stand on her toes or flat on her feet). 

I think this was the outfit the doll came in or something similar because my doll didn't have her feet covered by the leotard:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATTEL-LIL-MISS-MAKEUP-DOLL-VINTAGE-/221199493272?pt=US_Dolls_Bears_Toys&hash=item3380846898
But, I she had a pink tutu you could put on.  I also think she had a purple leotard with a purple tutu you could add or a black leotard with pink legs like the pink one with the optional purple.  Then again, maybe not.

I think it was part of a line of dolls in the late 1980s or early 1990s that each could do something.  Maybe one skated?

I know the doll is not Dancerella (the crown pumped, you did not twirl a rod in the crown, plus this doll was more articulate).  It's not My Pretty Ballerina either.  Or Dancerina.

I may be able to get a photo of the doll this summer when I plan to go through storage.  I have her somewhere, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: Monday 11 March 2013, 06:06 am by luckdragon »

Offline Mysstica

Offline pikapal

Re: Ballerina doll
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 2013, 03:23 pm »

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 March 2013, 03:39 pm »
No, this doll did not use any batteries and was free-standing.  The dancing was done by pumping the crown.  I'm currently combing through the 4000 ballerina dolls on ebay.  If I see the crown, I can figure her out.  She's also much bigger than Dream Dancer.

It's totally possible that the doll had a molded outfit with a removable pink or purple tutu.  It's also possible that the barre was attached to the mirror. 

The articulation of the doll was very similar to this 2000s doll in this commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgkUIuXL-Ds

The size is similar too, but the doll is too new, and she's lacking the ability to spin plus the crown.

The crown is pearlized pink plastic.  It's maybe an inch in diameter.  Has rounded curved "points" similar to say flower petals.  Very simple looking.  You pulled it up and pushed it down over and over again to make her spin.

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 March 2013, 03:49 pm »
Got it!  It was part of a line, and it's on Ghost of the Doll, but I couldn't see her crown in the picture, so I didn't recognize her!

It's Bouncin' Kids Ballerina Kid by Galoob:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOUCIN-KIDS-Ballerina-Kid-w-BOX-Galoob-1988-/360582714309?pt=US_Dolls_Bears_Toys&hash=item53f46793c5
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BOUNCIN-KIDS-BALLERINA-KID-GALOOB-1988-L-K-/330885023309?pt=UK_Doll_Bears_Dolls_EH&hash=item4d0a48c64d

Sometimes combing ebay works.  I also remember the little screws in her feet too.

That doll worked really well.  Very easy to pose too.  And there was a skating doll in the line.  I remembered a skating doll on the box.
« Last Edit: Monday 11 March 2013, 03:53 pm by luckdragon »

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 March 2013, 03:52 pm »
Glad you found her! But if I'm remembering correctly, Bouncin' Kids were only 6-8" tall!

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 March 2013, 04:01 pm »
It's been years since I've seen her, and probably to a young child, 6-8 inches seems bigger.  ;)

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 March 2013, 04:11 pm »
PS I had the skating doll (the AA version). ;) She did require batteries, though.

anything