Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: children's "toiletry" sets  (Read 7160 times)

Offline barror

children's "toiletry" sets
« on: Tuesday 27 April 2010, 12:28 pm »
couldn't come up with a better word for it, but i'm thinking of those sets with plastic, colorful stuff; like brushes, mirrors, soap boxes, maybe fake make-up, etc etc.

does anyone collect these? or just have some?

i have this, which used to belong to a larger set:

these ones called "lovely deer" were very popular when i was little, i remember seeing some pink ones to.

and i have this (the pink mirror with yellow teddybear):

it used to belong to a set which had a hair dryer (i think) and some other stuff too.

Offline pikapal

Re: children's "toiletry" sets
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 2010, 09:35 pm »
When I saw this post I thought it was going to be about character toiletries like Jem soap or something. I have a few of those play makeup sets from my childhood. There use to be this store where I use to live as a kid that sold tons of that stuff.

Offline barror

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 April 2010, 01:08 am »
it can definitely be character stuff, but i'm thinking mostly of those sets that were more like toys, than like "real" toiletries (learned that word today, lol).

please post pictures if you can. :)

Offline EdenEye

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 May 2010, 08:24 am »
Take a look at this cute Barbie set. I remember having some of these items. I was crazy about Barbie! Until about grade 2 where some kid made fun of my Barbie shoes.....:( Then I kept my love for Barbie to myself. Awe. I'm not afraid to say that I love her now!

Offline EmBee

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 May 2010, 08:30 am »
@ EdenEye

Aww, Barbie!  I loved the illustrated version, too.  I had a hot pink lunchbox of her in kindergarten and I remember hiding the side with the sticker from people at a certain point.  Pretty early to start being embarrassed!  Like you're too big for Barbies at five.  :)  XXD

-Em
;)

Offline EdenEye

« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 May 2010, 08:36 am »
I'd really love to find a picture of my old Barbie backpack from the early 90s. There have been so many that its unlikely. :) Lol. Hey, whats up with the Watch Guard in that picture? I looks stupid and I don't understand the purpose. Just so your screen doesn't break? I'd rather take my chances! Looks like a thong for a watch.

Offline mouse

« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 May 2010, 12:13 pm »
I think the watch guards were supposed to be a cool accessory - it says in the ad 'twist two guards together for the latest style'. It would make more sense if you put them on the watch strap so if the strap came undone it would stop it from falling off... as it is maybe it's supposed to 'guard' your watch from others being able to see the time properly!

Offline pikapal

« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 May 2010, 02:15 am »
I use to have a similar Barbie set too. Mine came in a Frisbee with Barbie's picture on it.

Here's a scan of the soap dish and soap box. I just happened to have these in my computer for something else.

I use to get made fun of for liking Barbie in 5th grade. I remember putting a Barbie sticker on one of my book covers and getting laughed at. That same year the other girls persuaded me into taking a Princess Jasmine Barbie at the gift trade. I didn't mind though I thought it was one of the better gifts.  :P

Those red hair clips look like one I had back in '89, but mine was blue.

Offline EmBee

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 October 2010, 05:06 am »
;)

Offline ianthe99

« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 October 2010, 02:12 am »
Those watch guards were a big thing in the 80's. I think they became so with the popularity of Swatch watches. I had some. I think the point was to keep the face from getting scratches (or to possibly just make the company more money) I had 2 Egyptian themed Swatches and matching Swatch guards :-P

Offline jadedoz

« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 October 2010, 09:47 am »
When I was young I had a Tinkerbell toiletry set that had a nail brush, soaps etc. Back in the early 1980s I also had SSC soaps. I have since bought a vintage SSC soaps and sponge set all still in the box.

Offline miss_tuneful

« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 October 2010, 03:23 pm »
I had the Lovely Deer set in pink. There was a comb, brush, mirror, soap box and possible a nail brush. I don't have all the parts anymore (I think just the comb, brush and mirror... and they're probably in the attic at my parents' house).

Offline Rider of the storm

« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 October 2010, 06:57 pm »
I remember that at one point the x-men series had a grooming kit for boys similar to the barbie one  . the only part I have is the soap box . I would love to find a complete set again.

anything
anything