Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Customs are fun  (Read 12099 times)

Offline Wardah

Customs are fun
« on: Tuesday 29 June 2010, 03:09 pm »
Does anyone else here ever get bit by the customization bug? Whether it is something as simple as giving a new dress to an old doll to something as drastic as a total makeover to a Sweetie Kitty with the mankiest hair in the universe. I would never destroy a rare minty toy but if it is in not so hot condition and/or rather common then why not turn it to a thing of beauty?

A few personal highlights:

Blueberry Sweet Sleeper in Betty Berry dress

Apricot in crochet dress

Blueberry with repainted mouth and freckles, Liv wig, new dress and painted nails

Fairy Tail Bird with new symbol, eyes and tinsel added to hair

I also have a few that I have not taken pics of yet. These include:
Added a puffy glittery heart sticker to the tummy of Grace Grabbit.
Made dress for tiny Pool in a Hot Tub Secret Places doll out of small silk flowers.
Gave Matchmaker Magic Mulan darker eye shadow and new modern outfit.

This is not counting the things I have done to the recent issue Littlest Pet Shops and My Little Ponies and the things that are in progress.
« Last Edit: Tuesday 29 June 2010, 03:11 pm by Wardah »

Offline Rider of the storm

Re: Customs are fun
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 June 2010, 10:37 pm »
I like your custom  Fairy Tail Bird. I agree that customs are ok for toys that are in poor shape or are not worth the trouble to restore because they are to damaged to repair.

Offline Blippo

« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 July 2010, 09:29 pm »
Mostly I restore, because these toys are only going to become more rare and less people looking to recover their childhood toys will be able to have one if we all customize them. I don't encourage anybody to try their hand at customizing until they are absolutely certain their toy is as common as dirt. I've done a few though.

Husky turned Keeshond

Offline pikapal

« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 July 2010, 05:04 am »
I started to custom a McDonalds Fashion Polly my cousin gave me. It was in pretty bad shape. The face was stamped with a stamper and the feet are rough because it looks like somebody dragged the feet across the doll on cement. 

Offline Fairy Dust

« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 11:01 pm »
I'm still kind of new at rerooting on Jem doll (turned Rio into Riot but need to repaint his eyes still) and have redone a MLP who had her hair cut off when I found her.  I've repainted some Jem dolls, some celebrity dolls (like Britney Spears and Hillary Duff), and a MLP.  I enjoy doing it.  I just take one of my sad, will never be part of a display dolls and then I end up displaying them but I like them so much lol.  I own two dolls that another person has repainted (one rerooted too) and I just love them!  Just started learning on how to cast my own Jem shoes.  It's a trail and error system but a lot of fun when they pop out of the molds.

I do all of the customs for myself and sometimes I do it to donate to places like the Jemcon (Jem convention) charity auction.  Goes to a collector that can appreciate it and the money goes to an organization that helps kids in need.  It's a win win!

Offline Fairy Dust

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 11:03 pm »
I like your customs!  They look very cheerful!

Offline Rakkitonbo

• Cupcakes hunter
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 April 2015, 08:36 pm »
Well technically my work is not a custom, rather a kind of doll surgery, but here goes:
Prosthesis for my second Honey Drop cupcake:
https://flic.kr/p/rZfeJV

https://flic.kr/p/rZjoeg
« Last Edit: Monday 06 April 2015, 08:41 pm by Rakkitonbo »
Cupcakes wanted - the hunt is on!

Offline hime

« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 April 2015, 10:17 pm »

anything