Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Antique Rubber Face Doll  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Rusty

Antique Rubber Face Doll
« on: Friday 10 October 2014, 03:06 pm »
Hi, I got this doll as a birthday gift about 20 years ago. My mother bought it from a local antique shop, and I've been curious about it for a while now. Her body is cloth, including her head, and her face is rubber, and she's about 10". The dress isn't original, she came in a three tiered orange, green, and purple dress, but I don't think it was original either because it was very ill-fitting. Does anyone know anything about this doll, or has anyone seen anything similar?

Offline ForeverKokiri

Re: Antique Rubber Face Doll
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 October 2014, 07:48 am »
Based on her facial features, she looks like she's from the early to mid 60s, though she could be from a bit later.

I've actually never seen a black rubber-faced doll before, and certainly not one that looks like this. So cute!

When I think of rubber faced toys, I think of the Rushton company, the My Toy company, and the Knickerbocker company. All three produced a lot, though there were definitely others. (I own a cheap rubber-faced bear with no markings and I'm pretty sure I've seen some of his "cousins" in various places online)

Offline milkypuppy

• Tinkerbell's Toybox: A Tinkerbell Cosmetic Blog
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 October 2014, 07:41 pm »
She's absolutely wonderful! Her face reminds me of the doll faces you can buy to make your own doll, kinda like this:

If she was handmade, someone put a lot of care, time, and love into her. :)
Tinkerbell's Toybox: A Tinkerbell Cosmetic Blog

Offline Rusty

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 October 2014, 02:26 pm »
After some research and a few suggestions, I've come to believe she must be handmade with a face like milkypuppy mentioned. I posted this inquiry on another forum as well, and someone replied with a few similar looking dolls that were also handmade. Whoever made her did an awesome job though, because her stitching is top notch! It's unlike any of the other dolls I've found with somewhat similar faces. Thanks for your replies =)

anything