Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: [ID: Musical Carousel Collectables Horse by HG Toys (1988)] Model horse sized...  (Read 33184 times)

Offline MercurialMonster

Re: Model horse sized carousel horses
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 September 2010, 07:34 am »
Nope, they weren't any of those. 

Offline MercurialMonster

« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 October 2010, 10:42 pm »
*flails*  

Sorry to double post, but... OMG... I just found some photographic evidence of these horses!   I was looking at a link about Grand Champions posted to the Arena, and there is a page with some unknown horses... and I immediately recognized the yellow one!  I think when I "saw" him back in the day, it was as a picture on the back of the box.

image of yellow horse:

Link to website where I found the picture, and pictures of two other horses of the same type:
http://bluegallop.topcities.com/ATXTHGToys.html

Of course, a few things about the info (what little the site owner has) listed on them contradicts what I remember about them.
Like the fact that I swear up and down I remember them having carousel poles (though one of the horses on that page does have an odd tube that could have had a pole in it at one point), and I don't remember them having fancy tack (and the site owner does).  

Then again, it's highly possible that these horses came both ways?  Like maybe what I remember was a special set?  (Cause I swear I remember thinking "I can get more horses if I buy this instead of buying the Matchbox carousel".)   Of course, even the carousel ones I saw might have had some kind of tack, I don't have the most stellar memory.   :-[

And like I said, I definitely remember the yellow horse, but I think he was actually an image on the box, showing you the other horses available (I also possibly might remember the other two as well, though they were definitely just images on the back of the box... otherwise I would have been all over the black one like glue...  my mom would have not been able to get me out of the store without the horse.)

Other than the photographic conformation of their existence, there isn't much more info... no name for the horses, or anything like that.  At least I now know I am not insane!  

The site owner says something about HG Toys at the top of the page.  Not sure if that is actually the manufacturer, but maybe it's some sort of start?  The site owner mentions that HG horse collectors don't recognize them, so it's possible that isn't the maker?  I looked up HG Toys, but can't find much info on any toy horses made by them (maybe I am just not looking hard enough?).  

Sorry for this big post, but wow... just, wow.   I was so excited when I found this, I had to come here and post right away!  

*more flailing about*
« Last Edit: Saturday 02 October 2010, 10:50 pm by MercurialMonster »

Offline EmBee

« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 October 2010, 10:51 pm »
*Encourages happy flailing about*

All the images are broken.  ;o;...

So did you actually own any of these horses or did you just covet them?  If you never had any they might have had a cardboard pole or something.  Who knows!?

-Em
;)

Offline MercurialMonster

« Reply #18 on: Saturday 02 October 2010, 11:11 pm »
The images are broken for you?  Odd, they work fine for me.  Is it the images on the link, or the image I posted here, or both that aren't working?

I didn't get any of them, they were just something I saw once and coveted after.  But I am pretty sure the poles were plastic.

I very much remember thinking that their poles were just not as nice as the ones on the Matchbox horses, cause they weren't pretty metallic gold, lol.
Don't really remember what color they were, but they were cheap looking plastic.  Or at least, cheaper looking than what I ended up buying (my toy snobbery won out, and I ended up buying the Matchbox carousel... which was probably the worst decision I made that day).

But, there is always the off chance that maybe I am wrong.  But it just seems like that particular part (the, "Oh, their poles aren't nice shiny plastic, just cheap-ol plastic.  Poo!" type of thought) of my memory seems pretty solid.  I don't have a great memory, but I sometimes remember odd snippets of thoughts, or at least the idea behind said thoughts.  Very frustrating.

I will bow to you, if it turns out they were cardboard, lol! 

(PS- I hope I am not coming off as rude to you, these horses are just something that has been bugging me for ages.)

Offline EmBee

« Reply #19 on: Saturday 02 October 2010, 11:59 pm »
No problem, I loaded the page in Internet Explorer instead of Mozilla Firefox and they showed up.

Those photos will be a big help.  No it's fine I am just speculating.  There are times when I could *swear* something was a certain way and I end up being dead wrong!  But yeah like you said there could have been more than one line produced.  Especially considering the white tube protruding from the blue horse's back.

-Em
;)

Offline ditabee

« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 October 2010, 02:51 am »
Oh yay! I have some of these. Not sure of a line name, but yes they do indeed have tack that they came with & also a plastic pastel colored striped pole (which fits in with the tack, though I don't have the pole with these.) One of my friends has a couple of these in her own personal collection & I can get you a picture of one with pole if you want.

They all have symbols except one of mine doesn't. The white one with green hair. Which I always found as weird.

They are stamped 1988 & made by HG Toys. If I can be of any further help, please let me know :)

Offline EmBee

« Reply #21 on: Thursday 14 October 2010, 06:50 am »
Wow neat thank you so much!!  Awesome pictures.  MercurialMonster will love these.

-Em
« Last Edit: Thursday 14 October 2010, 06:54 am by Em »
;)

Offline MercurialMonster

« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 October 2010, 10:22 am »
Oh wow, thanks!  So they did have tack, lol!   I couldn't really remember.   

But it appears we still don't know what they were called?   Hmmm.   At least there is physical evidence that they did indeed exist.  :)

I looked up HG Toys shortly after I found the one site I posted, but I can't seem to find any info on the company ever making these horses. :/

Offline EmBee

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 February 2011, 07:55 am »
Someone over at the My Little Pony Arena posted about these, but still no ID:
http://www.mlparena.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=3248080.html#3248080

-Em
;)

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 February 2011, 08:09 am »
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-6535242.html

Either Superior Toy Co. or Empire bought out that company in 1988.

So, Harret-Gilmar Toys went under in 1988.

I'm not sure where this fits in:
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Toymax-International-Inc-Company-History.html

Before he was 20, Lebensfeld had designed his first toy: an indoor basketball hoop that hung on the back of a door. Shortly after graduating from college, he started his own toy company called Hot Items and, a few years later, founded another business, HG Toys Hong Kong.

In 1987, teaming up with some associates from HG Toys, Lebensfeld co-founded a third company: Toy Biz. Toy Biz met with early success when it obtained the exclusive license to produce action figures based on Marvel Comics and DC Comics. This new line of action figures, which included Batman, Superman, and Spiderman, rapidly made Toy Biz the largest action figure company in the industry.

In 1990, Lebensfeld sold Toy Biz to a group of investors and went on to co-found Toymax, Inc. that same year.
« Last Edit: Tuesday 15 February 2011, 08:38 am by zuse »
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline zuse

« Reply #25 on: Saturday 29 October 2011, 08:11 pm »
Thought I would bump this post. Any new leads?

This one was on eBay, but didn't sell.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160648051843

Group shot from that  MLP Arena threat:
« Last Edit: Thursday 17 November 2011, 12:01 am by zuse »

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline zuse

« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 February 2012, 04:00 am »
*bump*

Anybody know the name of this line?

Offline EmBee

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 29 February 2012, 03:11 am »
Ditto bump.  This one has been gnawing at my brain for forever.
 ???
-Em
;)

Offline muztangz

« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 12 June 2012, 01:34 am »
I have some of these for sale  :)

Offline Skyhorse82

« Reply #29 on: Friday 04 October 2013, 03:28 pm »
No names yet, but came across these horses made by HG Toys in 1987 or 1988 as well. Perhaps the carousel ones were packaged or even named very similarly (with similar accessories) as they have obviously used the same moulds for the horses across different themed lines:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Horse-1988-H-G-Toys-Hard-Plastic-7-1-4-Gray-White-Free-Shipping-/171122093007

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPALOOSA-SHOW-HORSE-BY-HG-TOYS-BRUSHABLE-HAIR-SADDLE-BRIDLE-BRUSH-AND-COMB-/221289914104?pt=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item3385e81ef8

I would buy these in a heartbeat but no international postage available :( Gah!

anything