Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Unknown 2001 Popple  (Read 17040 times)

Offline MissAliRae

Re: Unknown 2001 Popple
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 January 2011, 01:18 am »
I hate to say it but I think she is a fake...here are the reasons:

1: She looks to be made of a felt material
2. The Popple Logo doesn't match the 2001 logo on the other Toymax Popples, or other ones that I can find.
3. ToyMax only produced a few Popples (celebrity Popples, etc) and there names were sewn onto the bottom of their foot
4:2007 Playmates started making them.

Unless she is a prototype of a ToyMax Popple that was never sold I really believe she is a fakie. You can get tags off any other Popple and sew them on a homemade item, and like I said the Logo that you took the picture of doesn't match the 2001 logos.

Here is a listing of a 2001 Pixie Doodle off ebay that shows the 2001 logo:
http://cgi.ebay.com/POPPLES-PIXIE-DOODLE-2001-TIE-DYED-APPROX-18-/250621493654?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5a348196

I was thinking it was fake at first too, but now I'm not so sure. I originally thought it because the fabric looks funny in the picture, but sometimes pics can distort textures like that.
The logos look the same to me. True, the colors are different, but they appear to be the exact same design. Also this looks pretty professionally made, so I doubt that the producer would remove a popple tag and then sew it back on if it were to be a commercially bought and sold thing - not like a one off homemade type of plushie.
It is possible that someone copied the logo (and changed the colors) and made a very convincing fakie, but it just seems like a lot of work! Haha.
It is weird though that the fabric looks pretty low pile, where as the real popples have pretty thick fur like fabric!
Idk what to think - time to due some internet snooping!

Offline bjnorvell

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 January 2011, 06:57 am »
The Colors are off but the two major differences in the logo are:
The nose on the popple in the logo  is suppose to be a heart ( all the ones I have seen atleast) this one is just round
The "TM" is on all the popples I have seen, even ones made by ToyMax, this one has the Copyright symbol.

To me this looks just like the pattern that was sold to make your own popples.

it might be just me but i have never seen a popple that had "fur" around its neck and wrist.
She almost resembles a Lion.

Offline Roxanne

• ?
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 January 2011, 06:07 pm »
About the way she's made;
You guys say she is different made from the other Popples,
but the Cutie Fruity Popples were made the same way.
They also did not have plastic eyes and the fur was also different.
They look alot the same. So fake? Naah. I'm almost sure not.
If it was it would be alot of work.
Also, I don't think someone would take the time to take a tag off a Popple
to give it to another one. That just doesn't make sense at all.
"Tell me that everything will be alright in the end."

Offline bjnorvell

« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 January 2011, 09:54 am »
It might not make sense to take a tag off another popple but people do things like that today. If she was a real Popple how come the sellar didn't have her in the actual auction? If I remember correctly you said she was one that wasn['t listed in the lot right? Like I said before something is up with the logo cause it is different then the others, plus 2001 popples have their names on their foot.

Maybe it is because I am in the US but I have never seen a Popple like this, yes it does resemble the Cutie Fruity Popple, but the Cutie Fruity Popples are mini popples that clip on things right. I mean uless like I said in another posted comment she could be a prototype

Offline zap18

« Reply #19 on: Sunday 06 February 2011, 01:27 am »
I agree, definitely not fake :)  It doesn't have the same quality of a normal popple though, as others have suggested, so it really does look like a prize that was given out.  Do you have a picture of the tush tag- maybe I missed it, but I didn't see one. 

French Popple tags were in French on the vintage ones, I confirm, but that might not be true anymore?  Since we can safely say that this one has not seen mass distribution...

Offline mouse

« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 February 2011, 05:13 am »
If it is a fake I don't think it is a fake that someone has made - it would be fake manaufactured by a company not hand sewn by someone.

The reason why it may have been an extra and not included in the list of the actual auction is because she (I think it is a she :)) looked different from the other popples and did not want to advertise her as an official licensed product if they were not 100% sure.

I don't think it is a fake. It looks a lot nicer made than a lot of fake toys.

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 16 February 2011, 07:08 am »
I'm afraid this one is a fake, but she is very beautiful and I'd love to have her.

Reasons why she is fake:

1. Fur around the collar. Real popples don't have fur around their collar.

2. Logo is printed on shiny material with no white ink

3. She is a purse

4. Her nose is too big. I have three popples from 2001 and although all three have different shaped noses, none of them are that large.

5. Popples of the early 2000s had a key difference from early popples, and you can see it on the logo -- three little antennae with balls on the top sticking out of their heads. They were absent on the smaller plush like the cutie fruitie Popples, but all of the larger popple plush had them.

6. Her mouth is too wide. It's much wider than a normal popple's mouth

7. The material is a straight cloth. Popples of the 2000s had lightly furred fabric.

8. No name on her foot

9. The eyes are sewn on. I have never seen a popple with sewn-on eyes. They have all had painted button eyes.

For all of you commenting on how it's too nice to be a fake... there's a store near my house that sells chinese products, and most of it is bootleg anime plushies. The logos and tags are copied from Japanese official products, even when the product itself is original, and the tags are written in Japanese, not Chinese. (As a Japanese student, I know the difference) You can't tell on many of them that they are unofficial -- the tags are printed with clear ink and even on shiny cardboard like an official product. A lot of the plush products are actually of incredibly nice quality, much nicer than what you find at American dollar stores, and I actually collect unofficial Chinese anime plushies as long as there isn't a counterpart in Japan.

She is clearly based off of Pixe-Doodle Popple, by the way. Pixie was my second Popple... I'd know that color scheme anywhere!

Offline mouse

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 16 February 2011, 10:00 am »
The reasons you state she could be a fake are also reasons that could mean she is a prototype

I think it seems to nice to be a Chinese fake. It has a good shape and design. The companies that make fakes tend not to go all out and design a new toy for that line.

As it's been stated the toy is made from the same fabric as the mini fruit popples.

I don't see that she's clearly based off pixie doodle at all. She can transform into something, the colouring is all different and she's furred.

If she is a fake why hasn't anyone seen it before? I quite frequently search for popples and I have never seen one like this.

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 16 February 2011, 11:01 am »
Mouse, you are right about it not being Pixie-Doodle -- I meant Pitter-Patty, but now that you mention it, yet, the color scheme is quite different.

But I don't think you understand what I mean by Chinese fake. I don't mean a made in China copy that you might find in the dollar store. I mean an actual toy that was made for Chinese consumers but never licensed.

Here is a visual example of what I mean.

This is the official Japanese plush for an anime character, available four years ago.

This is the American version of that same character, which came out recently.

And here is the Chinese version, which came out around the same time as the Japanese version. You will note that it is a completely new design for the plushie that isn't used by the other versions of the plush. Also, the paper tag reads "Banpresto" but the tag on the actual plush says a completely different company name.

There ARE nice Chinese fakes out there. They're just usually intended for Chinese consumers. Copyright laws aren't as strict there.

Offline mouse

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 16 February 2011, 12:04 pm »
I don't really get what you mean by 'I mean an actual toy that was made for Chinese consumers but never licensed.' - if it's not licensed then it's not offical, so it's a fake and in breach of copyright. If it's an unlicensed toy, it's a fake.

Offline Wardah

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 16 February 2011, 03:12 pm »
Could it be official and just not made for the US/Europe market? Kind of like the Japanese Yum Yums?

Offline zap18

« Reply #26 on: Thursday 17 February 2011, 02:01 am »
Could it be official and just not made for the US/Europe market? Kind of like the Japanese Yum Yums?

That's what we're suggesting ;)  That it was an official Popple, made under a licensing agreement and only available in certain markets.

The logo differences, and any differences really, could just be a reflection of the precision of who was using the license, so I don't really see why we are picking at the differences between known US Popples and this one. 

We bring up quality as an argument that it was in fact made under license, and I still think it looks about the same quality as most licensed but lesser quality plush that we usually see pop up.

Offline Roxanne

• ?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 21 March 2015, 06:49 pm »
Sorry for bumping up one of my old topics but I am still trying to figure more out about this Popple.

I was thinking that maybe someone has seen another one like this pass by in the last four years since this topic was created? :)

Either way, the Popple is still a part of my collection today and will continue to be. I just love her too much!
"Tell me that everything will be alright in the end."

anything
anything