Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Two toys to ID  (Read 13041 times)

Offline ForeverKokiri

Two toys to ID
« on: Wednesday 16 February 2011, 04:47 am »

This little doll is the size of a Little Kiddle, but has no identifying marks on her other than MADE IN HONG KONG on her back and HONG KONG on her head.

No marks on this one at all. Her head and hands are porcelain. Her hair is made of yarn. The rest of her is plush. Her clothes are all removable. The rest of her is plush. She looks familiar to me.

UPDATE: Look what I found on eBay!

This is definitely NOT a Strawberry Shortcake doll head! Who is this mystery doll!?

UPDATE AGAIN:,/b] Another ebay search yields this:

« Last Edit: Wednesday 16 February 2011, 05:41 am by ForeverKokiri »

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
Re: Two toys to ID
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 February 2011, 06:18 am »
You could buy those heads/hands at crafts stores and crochet different dolls from patterns. There were also dolls sold in stores with those heads.
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 February 2011, 06:20 am »
Thank you Zuse, I actually was just about to post that Ebay searches lead me to all of this:

It seems that my pink haired doll is made with a head and hands set for a crocheting pattern and she is probably one of a kind.

UPDATE: I searched "Crochet Doll" on eBay and found out her head belongs to the Lollipop Lane/Cupcake corner set. I now have a new set of dolls to collect. Awesome!
« Last Edit: Wednesday 16 February 2011, 06:27 am by ForeverKokiri »

Offline Candice

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 February 2011, 04:08 am »
The one with the pink yarn hair looks like an Ice Cream Doll.

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 February 2011, 08:25 pm »
I took a closer look at my doll and realized that the part of her head that her hair is on is made of plastic while the rest of her is porcelain. Also, her face appears to be hand painted.

When I did a search for "Ice Cream Doll" on eBay I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ICE-CREAM-GIRL-DOLL-GUC-15-KOMFY-KIDS-/220709677523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33635269d3#ht_982wt_907

I now know where her hair comes from!

Does anyone have any idea why she would be a porcelain doll made partially out of a plastic doll?

Offline zuse

« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 February 2011, 08:27 pm »
The 80s were a strange time.

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline Wardah

« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 February 2011, 06:47 am »
Maybe whoever made this doll cut the scalp off an ice cream doll instead of buying a wig.

Offline EdenEye

« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 February 2011, 05:41 pm »
Hahaha! I like that answer Zuse! The eighties were strange but I love them anyways.

Offline Ianua

« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 February 2011, 09:22 pm »
It's an ice cream doll we've ID them before but I can't find the link x

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 February 2011, 03:15 am »
That's OK, Iauna. I found the link when I googled "Ice Cream Doll." There sure are a lot of them!

Wardah, that may be true, but why would you make a head and hands that looked exactly like the doll you were getting the hair off of? I'm wondering if she was a college art project of some sort. There's two colleges in my area... I'm attending one of 'em. ;)

Offline Wardah

« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 February 2011, 02:19 am »
It appears the Lollipop Lane and Ice Cream Dolls pretty much look the same except the Lollipop Lane are doll kits with ceramic heads and hands and Ice Cream Dolls are mass produced plastic and cloth dolls.

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 February 2011, 05:12 am »
But nobody knows if anyone made porcelain dolls out of the plastic dolls? Where did mine come from? I've looked high and low for an ice cream doll with a porcelain head and all I can find are plastic ones and ceramic ones.

Also, the plastic part of her head is still just barely scented. It smells like vanilla. Mmmm.

Like I said, I assume she's someone's craft project.

All right, so we've pretty much ID'd my pink-haired doll. Now... any ideas on the little tiny one? I'd really like to know where she's from as well so I can get her some clothes...

Offline pirateparakeet

« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 May 2011, 01:19 am »
someone found this on another posting, but it looks a little like your doll? http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/5/9/2/7/6/3/webimg/334950872_o.jpg
Always looking for my little ponies!

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 June 2011, 06:38 am »
Sorry, Pirateparakeet, but that is not my doll.

But good news! I typed in "Vintage small doll" on ebay and found an orange-haired doll wearing an outfit that read "Molly Orange" on the front. By typing that in the search bar, I ended up discovering a series called "Pop Playmates" from the late 60s.

The only problem is, although the face and hair are definitely hers, these are twice as tall as she is and are also jointed. As you can see, my doll is NOT jointed.

I'm glad to know what series she's from. I'd just like to know now if she came with an outfit or anything like that!

Offline zuse

« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 February 2012, 04:59 am »
If only we could find out the company. :)

anything