Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Mary Betty Taylor (Zachory Taylor's daughter) signiture  (Read 8196 times)

Offline CrimsonEtClover

Mary Betty Taylor (Zachory Taylor's daughter) signiture
« on: Monday 18 April 2011, 10:19 pm »
Okay. this could get long.

Mary Taylor was Zachory Taylor's daughter, and the Hostess of the White House during her father's short presidency. She was known as Mary Elizabeth Taylor, Mary Betty Taylor, and Miss Betty Taylor. She married twice, adding Bliss to her last name, then later on Dandridge. She had no children from either marriage.

I need her signature! Here's why: twenty years ago, my dad discovered a real antique (1848) print of The First Prayer in Congress. It was printed off a Steel engraving, and hand painted (colored in) by M.B. Taylor. The signature on the back looks feminine.

This print has been authenticated as from the correct time period, and in a very nice gold plated frame. It was discovered in an old shed in the small town of Patterson, CA, which is near to San Jose (the capital of California at the time)

Zachory Taylor's pet project was California, and we believe that the print was painted in (painting was a popular activity for young ladies then) by Mary Taylor and meant to be a birthday present to welcome the brand new state of California. President Taylor died suddenly, and that could be the reason that this possible treasure was misplaced perhaps before making it to the Capital.

I grew up on this legend. I'm 29 now, and have been hearing my dad talk about this for my whole life. Maybe he's crazy... hey, sure it's possible! But if we could get ahold of her siggie all would be solved!

So there it is... I've tried the Library of Congress and white house archives, but I admit I got overwhelmed. If she was the hostess, wouldn't she have had to sign for items, or sign letters and invitations? Its crazy to me that there is such a small amount of info on her.

well thats all for now. Thanks a million if you read this whole monster!

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
Re: Mary Betty Taylor (Zachory Taylor's daughter) signiture
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 2011, 10:52 pm »
Have you ever contacted anyone at the National Archives? I mean, there have to be copies of her correspondences somewhere, right?
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline CrimsonEtClover

« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 2011, 11:36 pm »
Hmmm national archives... to be honest, I'm not sure. Sometimes I'll research all night and one link leads to another, and another and...

One source finally led me to

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/mss/eadxmlmss/eadpdfmss/2009/ms009193.pdf

http://www.tcfl.org/mdroom/manuscripts/dandrige.html

the Dandridge Papers at the second link are actually locked up in temporary storage for two years  ??? ugh.

Also, we have submitted to History Detectives, who told my dad to stop his own research so that they could pursue it, but then they never got back. Dana Linnet of Pawn Stars told me that he can't authenticate it because he's never "handled her signature". Pawn Stars the show never got back at all.

Also, recently a man named John Reznikoff (he was featured on This American Life not long ago - he is the top expert right now on historical documents and siggies. Well I contacted him and he asked me to send him a pic, but then he never wrote back. Its soul crushing!

Actually the first source I posted looks promising. There are correspondences to and from President Taylor, and family correspondences. My library stopped doing inter-library loans, though, so I'm not sure how to get ahold of it.

Offline zuse

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 2011, 08:15 am »
Hmm. Did you ever call Antique's Roadshow?

(I always feel soooo bad for the people that think they have something great or a prized family heirloom and it turns out to be a repro or something).

I have a good feeling about yours, though. :)

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline zuse

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 April 2011, 08:18 am »
Surely the town he is from has some sort of local museum to him? I wonder if there might be a little local museum about him?

Offline CrimsonEtClover

« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 April 2011, 05:04 am »
I know they did a small local antiques roadshow. All they cared about was the fancy expensive frame, though. The dates were confirmed again by them, but they had zero interest in the signature.

anything