Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: What is this mermaid fabric?  (Read 7593 times)

Offline Merboy

What is this mermaid fabric?
« on: Saturday 30 April 2011, 03:29 am »
This mermaid fabric was used for most of the little mermaid fins and a lot of the Barbie mermaid fins. Here's a link of what it looks like

http://www.amazon.com/Barbie-Mermaid-SKIPPER-Babysitter-Mattel/dp/B000XGRXZG

Does anyone know the name of this fabric? I was hoping to make dolls of Ariel's sister's.

Offline BattySparkles

Re: What is this mermaid fabric?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 April 2011, 12:57 pm »
I have been trying to find this fabric too! I go to school for fashion and the head of the school told me that it is a film of polyester fused to the really thin fabric underneath it. I don't know anymore than that and I don't know if maybe this kind of polyester has a special name or what. Please let me know if you find it for sale anywhere. All of the best dolls had their clothes made out of that stuff!

Offline Merboy

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 May 2011, 01:56 am »
« Last Edit: Monday 02 May 2011, 10:43 am by Ghost Of The Doll »

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 May 2011, 09:01 am »
I think the teddies in the  last one are the fabric we're looking for, so it does still exist! The Skipper you posted has a little bit of texture, which I think is the only difference. Maybe we can ask the seller of the teddies if they know where to buy the fabric.

Offline Ghost Of The Doll

• Administrator
    • Powder Monki
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 May 2011, 10:47 am »
There is a lot of different fabrics described as "iridescent", but maybe you'll find the right kind on eBay with a bit of searching.

Buy retro PIN BADGES and FRIDGE MAGNETS on Powder Monki!

Offline Merboy

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 May 2011, 08:58 pm »
I believe I've found it! It's called Angelina film or fantasy film it's a polyester that can be ironed on to fabric. Here are some links

http://www.amstamps.com/fantasyfilmprojects/

http://www.artglitter.com/retail/fantasyfilm.htm

https://www.softexpressions.com/software/threads/Fantasy.php

Thank you so much BattySparkles, your tip about it being polyester film was the clue that helped me find it :)

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 May 2011, 03:03 pm »
YES! I'm so excited that you found it! I need to make some clothes for myself and dolls out of this stuff! I love it so much!

Offline Ghost Of The Doll

• Administrator
    • Powder Monki
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 May 2011, 11:20 am »
Angelina fibre/film is a craft material (I use it quite often). You can iron the fibres together to form a "material" which can be used in various ways, but is very delicate and not suitable for dressmaking.

Here's some Angelina fibre bonded into a sheet with sequins and glitter sandwiched in-between. The fibres are made from the same stuff the film is made from, just shredded very finely:

The shimmery fabric Merboy/BattySparkles is looking for is something a bit different. I bought a small amount of it from a fabric shop in London some year ago (it was quite expensive, hence the small amount). Have you tried taking a sample piece (or photo) into a fabric or craft shop?

Here are some images of my iridescent fabric (I photographed the backing too). I'm pretty sure its created using something like the Angelina film, but it's been bonded to the fabric in a way I don't think would be domestically achievable (or safe)!

[click to enlarge]

« Last Edit: Friday 06 May 2011, 10:49 pm by Ghost Of The Doll »
Buy retro PIN BADGES and FRIDGE MAGNETS on Powder Monki!

Offline Ianua

« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 May 2011, 06:00 pm »
Ghost is right it's used to make faerie wings but it's quite brittle i.e no flex once ironed

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 May 2011, 07:57 pm »
Aw man! I guess the search is still on! But I'm glad to have learned about Angelina Film! That stuff could make some fun things still. Would it work for doll clothes as a substitute or is it even too fragile for that?

Offline Ianua

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 May 2011, 06:36 pm »
Not really honey it's stiff and you can move it a little bit once ironed I use it to make wings for One of a kind fairies it's like the wrapping to a quality street sweet or crisp packet before it's ironed and stiff when ironed.
Did you ever shrink crisp packets into keyrings in the oven as a kid like homemade shrinkie-dinks it's kinda like that.

Offline Merboy

« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 May 2011, 02:18 am »
After a lot more searching I'm back and I believe I've found it. It's called iridescent vinyl or lenticular iridescent vinyl. Here's the link

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=101000

Offline pranceatron

• Pranceatron Toys
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 May 2011, 09:22 pm »
If you do find a source, please let us know.  I've also been looking for this fabric forever, never seen it anywhere locally.  A lot of Halloween costumes use them (bumblebee wings etc) so I've been thinking I'll have to resort to that to find enough fabric for a project :(

This may work for my purposes:

http://eiloren.blogspot.com/2010/02/tutorial-foiling-fabric.html

But I'm sure there must be a commercially available bonded-to-fabric foil stuff out there already, or even thicker mils foil/plastic would be OK in my case!
« Last Edit: Sunday 29 May 2011, 10:10 pm by pranceatron »

anything