Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Dolly Surprise, Playskool/Hasbro 1987-1990  (Read 24788 times)

Offline Ghost Of The Doll

• Administrator
    • Powder Monki
Dolly Surprise, Playskool/Hasbro 1987-1990
« on: Saturday 25 June 2011, 02:00 pm »
I'm currently putting together some pages for Dolly Surprise. There were thirty main dolls produced, twenty nine of which I have names for and most of which I have images for too. There were four, possibly five dolls produced at first (Holly, Lolly, Molly and Polly). Was there also one called Dolly, as this would account for the 30th doll?

Does anyone have any packaging backs with images of the six dolls listed below (or can describe their clothing so I can ID them in the images I've gathered)?

Best Wishes
Cat's Meow
Pillow Talk
Slumber Times
Sweet S_? (not Sweet Dreams, that one's identified)
Tiny Dancer

---

There were also at least three Little Miss Dolly Surprise dolls (Country Darling, Free Wheelin' and Make A Wish). Were there any more? What made them different from the original Dolly Surprise line?

---

There was also a doll called Head-to-Toe Dolly Surprise. I have a small boxed image but don't know anything more about her. Can anyone shed any light on the Head-to-Toe aspect?!

---

Lastly, there was a Baby Dolly Surprise. I've found an image of the white doll but does anyone have an image of the black version?

---

Just for completeness, there were six sets of fashions, but were there any other accessories or related items produced?
Buy retro PIN BADGES and FRIDGE MAGNETS on Powder Monki!

Offline nhtpirate1980

Re: Dolly Surprise, Playskool/Hasbro 1987-1990
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 June 2011, 06:38 pm »
I have this Fashion backcard :

^^
My pictures et scans albums : http://www.flickr.com/photos/nhtpirate/sets/

Offline mouse

« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 July 2011, 02:41 am »
You can use all the photos I uploaded way back when... I have the photo of slumber times in my file and other dolls with names: http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/pixietulip/Dolly%20Surprise/ If you want me to try and get clearer scans or something LMK.

Offline Ghost Of The Doll

• Administrator
    • Powder Monki
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 August 2011, 11:54 am »
Thanks for the extra images guys!
Buy retro PIN BADGES and FRIDGE MAGNETS on Powder Monki!

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 August 2011, 07:26 am »
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline zuse

« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 September 2011, 06:13 pm »
This is the one that I had as a kid: "Pigtail Dolly Surprise"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150660157801

Box for the baby one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290607438128
« Last Edit: Sunday 11 September 2011, 02:04 am by zuse »

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline zuse

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 September 2011, 03:56 pm »
It looks like the Pigtail Dolly Surprise had "Daisy Surprise" and "Laurel Surprise" (at least that's what the name of the second one looks like).

Offline Stefanie

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 September 2011, 06:09 pm »
Hi! I'm one of the designers of Dolly Surprise. I was not involved with the first year dolls, but the second year I designed about half the dolls, and the third or last year, I designed the entire line, including Little Miss Dolly Surprise and Head to Toe Dolly Surprise.

I'll have to do a little research through my archives, but I'll try to answer any questions you may have about DS. I loved working on the line, and felt it was a highlight of my still active toy/ doll design career.

Offline Stefanie

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 September 2011, 06:12 pm »
Just for fun, here's a photo of my office at Hasbro in 1988, showing some of the dolls 'in progress', including my original color renderings for Baby Dolly Surprise and the pigtail Dolly Surprise dolls.
« Last Edit: Wednesday 21 September 2011, 06:43 pm by Stefanie »

Offline zuse

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 September 2011, 06:18 pm »
Wow! That's so cool you found the forum! Google search, I assume?

I recognize a lot of the toys and dolls on your shelves. ;)

Offline ecpblue

• Check out Precious Places on Facebook!!
    • Precious Places
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 September 2011, 06:26 pm »
Stefanie- Thanks so much for sharing!!  What a great thing to be involved with and I love the picture of your desk-so much fun!!  I had baby DS as a kid and I am pretty sure she is still around here somewhere!
Please "like" my precious places facebook page!! 
https://www.facebook.com/PreciousPlaces

Offline Stefanie

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 September 2011, 06:48 pm »
Yep, I found this website when I was Googling Dolly Surprise! I've designed many many dolls in my nearly 30 year career, maybe I'll find some others on this site! I have a garage full of dolls, and a cupboard full of toy company catalogs, and boxes full of original sketches & tear sheets.

One of the highlights of my career was one day, shortly after I left Hasbro in late '89 or early '90, I was being relocated from Rhode Island to Minnesota. On one of my trips home, I was in the ladies room of the TF Green Airport in Rhode Island, and I noticed a little girl holding a well-loved Baby Dolly Surprise. I casually mentioned to her Mom that I had designed her, and her mom just gushed on how that was her favorite doll, and she wouldn't let it out of her sight, etc. That was the first time that I personally experienced such a positive and heart-warming response to my work. I've never forgotten it!

Offline ecpblue

• Check out Precious Places on Facebook!!
    • Precious Places
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 September 2011, 09:44 pm »
That is so cool that you have kept all of that!!and what a great story and wonderful experience!
Please "like" my precious places facebook page!! 
https://www.facebook.com/PreciousPlaces

Offline mouse

« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 September 2011, 01:31 am »
You'll have to post a list of all the toys you've worked on. We will all faun around you like groupies and demand your autograph (and your address, so we can pretend so swim in a sea of prototypes and design sketches!)

I loved my dolly surprise! My sister chucked mine out but I managed to get another one the same from ebay (the red haired one in romper pyjamas with pom poms on the feet) I love th pyjama outfit - it's so cute :)

anything
anything