Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Jem and She-Ra Request  (Read 13690 times)

Offline DreamDancer

• The Bit the Dust Tape
Jem and She-Ra Request
« on: Sunday 21 March 2010, 01:01 pm »
I figure this place might be as good as any to ask. I'm currently at work on a book project profiling girls toys of the 1980's, and some gender-neutral toys as well (like Care Bears). I'm hoping to get this published someday, but I have a slight problem. Two of the sections in this project are dedicated to Jem and She-Ra, and I don't collect those doll lines, and I'm not willing to spend a whole lot of money on ebay for these dolls (not unless I find a whole bunch in one Buy It Now auction for a reasonable price, but that's not very comman, I've looked).

So my request is this. Does anyone out there have photos of She-Ra and Jem dolls that I can use? Dolls do not have to be perfect. They can be missing accessories. This is not a price guide or an identification guide. It's just a bit of nostalgia for Girlie Girls like me, and others who have fond memories of these toys (because a lot of Girlie Girl toys get lambasted mercilessly in this compliations). I'm afraid I'd get lynched if I left out Jem and She-Ra.

Offline ianthe99

Re: Jem and She-Ra Request
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 March 2010, 04:46 pm »
I have some of the dolls..Do the Jem dolls need to be in their original outfits?

Offline DreamDancer

• The Bit the Dust Tape
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 March 2010, 12:07 am »
No. I even made a statement about that in the introduction of my book:

"This is not meant to be viewed as an identification or price guide. You will not be seeing toys that are mint in their packaging. These photos are from my collections, and other people's collections as well. They have been played with, accessories are missing, and they have been well loved over time. Dolls are not in the original outfits they came packaged with."

Of course, there will be an acknowledgements page so I can give anyone who's loaned me photos proper credit.

Offline ianthe99

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 March 2010, 08:30 pm »
Okies! I'll get you some shots of my Jem and She-ra stuff this weekend then. :-)

Offline ianthe99

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 March 2010, 08:31 pm »
Oh, and.. totally unrelated.. but I used to have that doll that is your avatar! I remember her. She had a stage that you put her foot in.. and you could press buttons to make her dance. Her arms always wanted to fall off though. :-P

Offline DreamDancer

• The Bit the Dust Tape
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 March 2010, 01:08 am »
Oh, and.. totally unrelated.. but I used to have that doll that is your avatar! I remember her. She had a stage that you put her foot in.. and you could press buttons to make her dance. Her arms always wanted to fall off though. :-P

Yeah, that's my screen name. It's an homage to the doll. I never had the doll when I was a kid, but I had the commercial on an old video tape that bit the dust due to repeated watchings, but the commercial had been stuck in my head for I don't *KNOW* how long, and I was going crazy trying to find that darn commercial (but I eventually did find it)