Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: I need help with a toy dinosaur.  (Read 12574 times)

Offline kiddy2468

I need help with a toy dinosaur.
« on: Friday 18 November 2011, 06:19 pm »
Okay there is this pink dinosaur toy that my grandma has and I think she got it with some garage sale toys back when we were little. The dinosaur is bright pink with a green chest that is striped and spots on its back that are also pink. Its kind of like a Barney knock-off, and also there is a bright pink strawberry mark on one of its sides kind of like the heart on a care bears bottom. I know it is not a Darling Dino but possibly a knock-off to them. So can anyone help me out?

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
Re: I need help with a toy dinosaur.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 November 2011, 12:04 am »
A photo or perhaps a drawing would be extremely helpful! :)
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline kiddy2468

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 February 2012, 05:02 am »
Well grandma doesn't have it anymore the toys were given away when she cleaned out our old toy room. And as far as drawing the dinosaur well lets just say I suck at drawing.

Offline chelsmith18

• I Love God! Jesus is the Lord N Savior of my Life!
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 February 2012, 08:06 pm »
"You think you know a story, but you only know how it ends. To get to the heart of a story, you have to go back to the beginning."

Offline kiddy2468

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 February 2012, 08:47 pm »
No this was a little figurine seemed to be made out of soft rubber and I remember it having a sort of jacket that was green and white striped. I don't know if it came with the dinosaur but I do remember it wearing the jacket.

Offline chelsmith18

• My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 February 2012, 09:16 pm »
No this was a little figurine seemed to be made out of soft rubber and I remember it having a sort of jacket that was green and white striped. I don't know if it came with the dinosaur but I do remember it wearing the jacket.

what year may you have had the toy?
"You think you know a story, but you only know how it ends. To get to the heart of a story, you have to go back to the beginning."

Offline kiddy2468

« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 February 2012, 03:48 am »
I'm guessing early 1990s maybe 1994-1995 so I was about 8 years old when she got it. It wasn't very big either about three inches tall. There was a post on here that had a flocked dinosaur that reminded me of it a lot.

Offline chelsmith18

• My Twitter
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 February 2012, 04:59 am »
I tried ALOT but perhaps I'm not experienced enough to look...

Offline kiddy2468

« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 February 2012, 06:12 am »
Okay I found this it is not the one that I am looking for but maybe it will help it has the similar stripe design on the chest and tummy area. But for mine just think Barney.

http://www.collectorsconnection.com/imagesh5/47a199.jpg

Offline Skyhorse82

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 February 2012, 08:30 pm »
Would it have been designed to squeak or squirt water in any way?

Could it have been a miscellaneous McDonalds or Pizza Hut toy? (They had some dinosaurs in the 90s if I recall)

Not related to the 90s TV Show Dinosaurs? They wore clothes, but they weren't pink, they were green...except 'The Baby!'

Couldn't be a pink dragon? Like Spike from MLP for example. What sort of pink are the body and the spots?

This is a tough one....can find lots of dinosaurs with heart marks, brushable hair, and jewels on their chest....no strawberry marks. Was it actually a strawberry, or could it have been a mis-shapened heart instead? This might be so if it was a generic fake or something.
« Last Edit: Tuesday 14 February 2012, 08:50 pm by Skyhorse82 »

Offline kiddy2468

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 February 2012, 02:19 am »
it did not squeak and it wasn't a bath toy or even a toy from a kids meal it was too big for that. It was bright pink and the spots on the back were the same pink color its chest and stomach area were a bright kind of lime green color. It had a berry mark on one of its sides that was also bright green too. The only marking was CHINA stamped on the bottom of one its feet. I think ti may have just been a cheap knock-off from a dollar store or something. It was not from Darling Dinos I know that or from a TV show or any of the other thing that have been mentioned. So I'll just put it off as being a Barney knock-off.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 March 2012, 10:29 am »
As determined by my own thread that I started, (but posting here for people who might have been following this thread) it's more than likely a Barney knockoff by a company called Soma.

According to zuse, they had a whole line of cartoony, Barney-like dinosaurs. While searching for "Soma dinosaur," I kept an eye out for your strawberry dino, but didn't find any luck. Most of the results that were coming back were just cheap, generic toy dinosaurs. I did find this though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=260866664286&nma=true&rt=nc&si=PedGiNEwzhwbjOqQaPopvwXazBM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

And of course this is my childhood dino.

As I said in my own thread, these guys were always boyfriends to my Darlin' Dinos, so they're about that size. Just a tad smaller though, but not by a whole lot. I'm guessing your strawberry dino is a little bigger than that, since he came with a jacket and is big enough to have a "cutie mark?"

Calling all teddy experts! Please help me find my Cuddle Bear!

Offline Skyhorse82

« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 March 2012, 09:37 pm »
Hey, I have been watching those two threads and it has had me stumped for awhile, but the Barney knockoffs by Soma sound pretty close hey? Because they were cheaper imitations, perhaps this elusive 'strawberry mark' was a manufacturing flaw? Looking at some on eBay, the paint work wasn't so crash hot on some.

Offline kiddy2468

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 April 2012, 06:42 am »
Okay so this dinosaur is actually still around. I was over there the other day and my ten month old niece was playing with it. The feet just say made in china one on foot and the same thing in french on the other foot. The head can come off and it is hollow inside and the berry marking is on its hip I think and it is green in color. There are no markings on it that say Soma at all. So maybe the same mold was used for other dinosaur knock-offs as well. I'm wondering if maybe it had something in it at one time like bubble bath which would explain the berry mark it has on it and it being hollow inside with the head coming off and everything.

Honeygirl911

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 March 2016, 06:19 am »
This is my old thread! I forgot all about this. I found this and I think I am on to something here.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/238385027/friendly-dino-barney-figure-toy-fake

« Last Edit: Friday 19 August 2016, 11:47 pm by Ghost Of The Doll »

anything