Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Pink-haired doll and questions about Ice Cream Dolls  (Read 7758 times)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

Pink-haired doll and questions about Ice Cream Dolls
« on: Thursday 12 January 2012, 06:50 am »

I went thrifting the other day and this is what I rescued.

The pink-haired girl looks really familiar and that's why I picked her up. The back of her head says "1991 Cititoy" but I can't find much information about it, other than that she also had a brown-haired variant. It's hard to see in the picture, but her eyes are blue and have little stars in them, and her cheeks are freckled. (She reminds me of someone I work with. Maybe that's why she looked familiar.  :D)

I also have a question about Ice Cream Dolls. Keep in mind that when I bought this groom doll, it was literally THE DAY AFTER I discovered ICD and decided I wanted one.  ;D ;D ;D They're a bit before my time so I really don't know much about them.

I just wanted to ask if the plastic bag he's in is by chance important. There's plastic around his head keeping his hair down so at first I thought this was original packaging... but then where are the clothes? (Plus he has some weird black dirt spots all over his body.) I'm just wondering if it's okay to cut him out... I've never seen those weird green bag keepers before and am not sure if they were somehow important to the doll. Also, I know he's a groom and he needs a bride that is probably similar, but I was wondering if there were any others that were made of this hard plastic as opposed to the soft rag dolls that I've been finding online. Or is what I have a fakie?

Calling all teddy experts! Please help me find my Cuddle Bear!

Offline Wardah

Re: Pink-haired doll and questions about Ice Cream Dolls
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 January 2012, 11:34 pm »
Maybe he is a doll body for crafters to make clothes for?

Offline DarkAnjel77

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 January 2012, 04:03 am »
The black marks on his body may be mold.  Be careful and don't put him with your other dolls until he is cleaned.  I agree with Wardah.  I believe he is a crafter doll. 

as for the pink haired doll.  I have the brown haired version.  Well 2 to be exact.  one has freckles and one doesn't.  They are really cute.  I hope someone knows about them because I am curious also.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 January 2012, 04:19 am »
Hm, that is a point about the mold. He's still in the plastic bag until I can get him some clothes, so hopefully that will keep it out. Are you sure it's not an ice cream doll though? I was so sure it was this.

http://ghostofthedoll.co.uk/Forum/index.php/topic,94.0.html

Of course, it does say that there are quite a few knock-offs so maybe he's a fakie. Bummer, because I'm actually a huge fan of fakes, but I was so excited to have an ICD!  :'(

If you have two of the brown-haired girl's... do you have an extensive doll collection and a website for them? I only ask because yours might have been the site on which I found the info on the brown-haired variation.  :D And if it's yours, then let me say that you have a beautiful collection.

Offline DarkAnjel77

« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 January 2012, 06:00 am »
I don't have a site.  I would like to see the site you are talking about though :)

I am going to say the little guy is a fakie.  He is very cute.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 2012, 07:08 am »
It was this one.

http://texaswatertowers.com/kayandlyn/dolls.html

Actually, scrolling through the Cititoy section again, I noticed another similar doll but with BLUE hair and oddly, a bean bag body. Weird.

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 March 2012, 04:03 pm »
Ice Cream Dolls were made by Village Toys (a subsidary of J. Shin)  in the 80s, but they licensed the head molds to a variety of crafting companies. I found some MIB head/hand sets over the summer and many of them say "Licensed by J. Shin" on the bags, even though they are from different companies. Darice and J Shin produced licensed heads for sure -- but there were TONS of other companies that produced similar head-and-hands sets as well.

That being said, I'm fairly certain that your Ice Cream Doll is a crafters' base. I've seen lots of nude plastic ice cream dolls around and they are listed as old stock or dolls to make crochet clothes for. The bag and the keeper are not important.

The dark spots may be mold, but they also may be water spots from somebody that kept it in an attic or a basement for some time. I've rescued lots of dolls that look horribly dirty, and everything comes off with a baby wipe. Maybe you could post a photo of the spots?

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 March 2012, 05:38 am »
I would take a picture, but after deciding that he was a craft doll, I didn't really want to deal with the mold so I ended up throwing him out. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person, but after finding him, I noticed more of those fakies popping up in the craft corners of some other thrift stores around town.

Maybe I should have given him a chance, but no more than what I paid for him, I just didn't want to deal with if he was a super common fakie.  :-\

As for the cupcake dolls... those are too cute! I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up being the same mold, especially since they're both Cititoys.

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 March 2012, 02:28 am »
Ahahaha, don't worry. Ice Cream Doll parts are still pretty common, despite no longer being made. There are definitely more than enough to go around.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 March 2012, 02:53 am »
That's what I noticed, so that's why I did it. I still wouldn't mind having a real ICD someday though.

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 March 2012, 03:10 am »
Yeah, the real ones fetch a high price due to a recall in their early days. Something about the ice cream cone being a choking hazard? But apparently a bunch are still around. I tend to only find the hand crocheted ones. The only ICD I have found with a factory made body had its head half-replaced with a porcelain replica!

anything
anything