Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Barbie fashion design  (Read 5142 times)

Offline teejw

Barbie fashion design
« on: Saturday 04 February 2012, 05:11 pm »
I am sorry, I am new to this group and this might be the wrong forum to post this in...so please pardon the interruption if this is the wrong spot :).
I don't know the name of the toy I am trying to identify.  I had it when I was a little girl in the early 80s.  It was made of hard, molded plastic.  It hinged a the top and was rectangular in shape.  If you raised the "lid", there was the form of a barbie body.  Hard, molded plastic hair, face and body.  They had taken Barbie's body and cut the front-half of her body off, from head down to toes, and put it on the bottom layer of this toy...the base.  You could drape fabric across her body and then close the "lid", which had the silhouette of the body cut out of it, so that it closed completely around the body on the base...and the fabric you had draped over the body...so it kind of made/designed clothes for the barbie.  Then you just lifted the lid, put some different fabric down, and voila....new look.  It opened and closed just like a top bound steno notebook...if that helps at all...as far as the mechanics...although it was not spiral bound...just plastic hinges.
Any help you can give me at all will be most appreciated.
Warmly,
Tamara
You can email me directly at teejw at msn dot com if you have any info about this toy.  Thanks again!

Offline chelsmith18

• I Love God! Jesus is the Lord N Savior of my Life!
    • My Twitter
Re: Barbie fashion design
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 February 2012, 08:03 pm »
Are you certain it was Barbie? What were the colors of the toy?
"You think you know a story, but you only know how it ends. To get to the heart of a story, you have to go back to the beginning."

Offline marlipaige

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 May 2012, 05:51 am »
Sounds like "Fashion Plates." Totally had one. Wish I hadn't given it away. Going through pictures of old stuff and scouring the internet for toys from my childhood I figured out about these and cursed my mom for throwing them out. But oh well! You live you learn! She kept pokemon cards and ty beanie babies because "they're be worth something" *pfft*

http://shesgot2haveit.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/fashionplates.jpg

There's also youtube clips of the 80s commercial.

Offline marlipaige

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 May 2012, 08:03 pm »

Offline elbs326

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 May 2012, 05:18 pm »
I might have one.  If I do I will list it on ebay and let you know how to find it.

anything
anything