Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: A few childhood things to ID  (Read 11752 times)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

A few childhood things to ID
« on: Thursday 16 February 2012, 12:19 am »
My parents are preparing for a move, and when they pulled all of my old toys down from the attic, I asked to go through them so I could look for my two childhood My Little Ponies.

I guess I don't have them anymore because I couldn't find them, but I do have these. Does anybody know what they are?

I was about 7 or 8 when I got this unicorn in 1996-1997, and I am absolutely thrilled to know that I still have her. She came packaged with another unicorn (maybe it was an earth pony?) with purple hair and hooves who was standing rather than rearing. I got them from a local state theme park, and I'm curious if these were ever sold elsewhere. The only marking on her is a "MADE IN CHINA" on her belly.

I don't ever remember not having these dolls. I'd say 1994 at the very latest, though there's a possibility that they could have come from my cousin's half sister who was born in 1983. I want to say that there were more of them, which is possible because they are marked "TARA TOY" and they could be party favors. I'm essentially curious if anyone has any more of these or had any info as to how old they are. I'm really, really curious.

Also, not related, but the doll on the left totally looks like she manages a McDonald's.  8)

And then there's this doll dress... no other toy breaks my heart as much as this one does. It's a long story, but it has to do with being a 2-year-old white girl with a black baby doll going to a bully-infested daycare in a rather racist area.  :'( :'( :'( I'm curious about any info that can be given on this dress. I don't ever remember seeing "Romper Room" and only just now Googled what it was. Did this dress happen to come with a black baby doll in about 1990-1993-ish, or was that just me playing dress up? Because after the bullies broke my doll, the dress was all I remember salvaging. Was it sold on its own, or did it come with another doll?

Calling all teddy experts! Please help me find my Cuddle Bear!

Offline chelsmith18

• I Love God! Jesus is the Lord N Savior of my Life!
    • My Twitter
Re: A few childhood things to ID
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 February 2012, 03:10 am »
Might have been separate? This is as close as I could get so far but it's a step in the right direction...the ebay seller didn't say much on the info. God Bless!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROMPER-ROOM-CLOTH-BABY-DOLL-DIAPERS-/200498816918#ht_503wt_952

« Last Edit: Thursday 16 February 2012, 03:12 am by chelsmith18 »
"You think you know a story, but you only know how it ends. To get to the heart of a story, you have to go back to the beginning."

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 February 2012, 04:02 am »
Wow, that's very interesting, chelsmith! Those diapers are so crazy. I'm trying to figure out whether they look familiar to me too, or if it's just because the pattern is exactly the same.

Offline pikapal

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 February 2012, 05:14 am »
I don't know anything about the doll, but in the 70s and 80s Hasbro branded their pre-school toys "Romper Room". The label is used in the old Glo Worm commercials.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 February 2012, 05:42 am »
I'm pretty sure that the bee character is from the Romper Room show though, unless maybe Hasbro was licensed to make merchandise for it.

Offline emery

• emery's emporium
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 February 2012, 07:15 am »
Those Tara Toy figures look really familiar. I didn't have any as a kid or anything but I think I picked up a few in a toy lot so I'll have to dig around and see if they match.

"Like" my store on Facebook to see when

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 February 2012, 07:18 am »
The Tara Toys figures are "Tiny Teeny Collection" dolls.
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline EmBee

« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 February 2012, 04:30 pm »
I used to have several toy horses like that one.. if I remember correctly they have ones with pink tips, purple tips, blue, etc.  I vaguely remember them being prize related, like from Chuck E. Cheese or something.

Good luck!
-Em
;)

Offline Foxtale

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 February 2012, 02:54 am »
I can't tell you much about the unicorn but I can say I have the exact same one. I also have a purple and a blue one in a standing pose with four 3-4 legs on the ground. They aren't accessible for me to check right now but I can tell you I got that pink rearing one at a gift shop at a haunted house/mini golf place. I always believe they were made by some lesser known company that made simple cheap toys for drug stores, gift shops, etc.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 March 2012, 05:33 am »
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this.

I ended up asking about the unicorn on the Arena and ended up answering my own question when I Googled "plastic unicorn" and found it on literally the first picture. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by linking the thread, for the curious.

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,287564.0.html

Also, thanks for the info on the "Teeny Tiny Collection" dolls from Tara. After researching the title a bit, I found that they apparently came with small doll houses that opened and closed, with little handles on them. I don't remember those at all, but I do have the dolls!

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 March 2012, 02:50 am »
No wonder that Unicorn looked familiar to me! I wasn't sure if they were still being made or if my memory was just being kooky. Yup, they're probably prizes all over at ticket arcades.

And, on the page where they sell the unicorns, I scrolled down and found my childhood bat toy! :D I knew they still made them, but still, seeing those weird cheap bats always brings a smile to my face. I have fond memories of playing with it.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 March 2012, 03:06 am »
I remember seeing those bats! They were pretty cool. I seem to remember them being made into rings. Bat rings and spider rings were the best part of Halloween.  :D

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 March 2012, 03:07 am »
You're thinking of a different bat. Mine was three times the size of my hand -- WAY too big to be made into a ring, lol!

Oh man, I used to hoarde the spider rings and wear one on all ten fingers.

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 April 2012, 01:14 am »
I got a "Romper Room" hoodie with a doll lot once and couldn't tell if it was for dolls or actual baby clothes.

Apparently Multi-Toys Corp. made that doll clothing line about 1985:
"Dress your doll like the Romper Room Kids - Fits all 16-18 inch baby dolls including: Cabbage Patch kids, Pumpkin and Hugga Bunch."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261003212696
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 April 2012, 05:40 pm »
Oooh, very cool, zuse! 1985 is a little bit before my time though, so I'm wondering if maybe I got it from a thrift store or my cousin's older half-sister then.

anything
anything