Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Vintage bride doll and some odd fakies  (Read 10552 times)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

Vintage bride doll and some odd fakies
« on: Thursday 22 March 2012, 01:48 am »
Hey all! I hope nobody minds, but I have quite the assignment! I can't seem to find any info on these at all, so I was wondering if anyone here knew anything.

First of all is this little guy. I've had him since childhood. He came in a set of 3 or 4, and there was another mold that was wearing overalls rather than this weird clown suit thingy. He's obviously a Barney fakie, and one foot is marked "SOMA."

(Just as a side note, I always thought they looked really dorky. When I played with them as a child, I liked to pretend that they were suitors to my Darlin' Dinos, but they would never date such "losers" because they were ballerinas and were cool. Then the Barney guys would save their lives in some heroic fashion, and that would win them over in a heartbeat. Hahaha!)

And then there's this vintage beauty. I picked her up at the antique mall last week for $5. I assume that she's something incredibly common since she was so cheap and there were multiple ones to choose from, including a taller light-haired variant. I can take a better picture of her face later if it helps. Her eyes open and close, her panties are stapled, and her legs don't bend but her arms do. She has no marks.

And on the same day, I stopped by Goodwill and found this puppy for not even 30 cents. She doesn't have any markings either, except for I think either numbers or "CHINA." (I don't have access to her at the moment.) She looks like a LPS fakie to me, but maybe not.

Thanks in advance fir any given help!

Calling all teddy experts! Please help me find my Cuddle Bear!

Offline pikapal

Re: Vintage bride doll and some odd fakies
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 March 2012, 02:44 am »
I think the dog might belong to the Fashion Polly sets. Some of them come with LPS looking pets.

Like this set.

http://www.thetoypalooza.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=140&idcategory=24

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 March 2012, 02:53 am »
Soma made several sets of pvc type figures. The mermaid series is already on this site. These ones seem to be Barney knockoffs. They had a larger plush one that lit up like their Bee and Turtle toys.

Here is a set of the more "realistic" dinosaur figures they made:
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline kiddy2468

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 2012, 03:39 am »
That looks just like the dinosaur that I posted about in an earlier thread I'm wondering if that one was also a Soma toy too.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 March 2012, 10:04 am »
That looks just like the dinosaur that I posted about in an earlier thread I'm wondering if that one was also a Soma toy too.

I remember that post, kiddy. I actually almost posted that as a reply, but the strawberry mark threw me off and I was thinking it was probably something different.

That info is quite fascinating, zuse. Thank you! It never fails to amaze me how knowledgeable you are about toys! That plush is kind of creepy to me though, probably because I'm so used to them as PVC figures, but that second set is adorable! I remember reading the Mermaid Island article here and making the connection to Soma, but that's the only toy that's actually listed under that manufacturer on this site and I'm admittedly a bit clueless about them as a company.

It would even make sense that I would have Barney knockoffs too. I was at just the right age to be obsessed with Barney- we're talking the home video days, long before they were successful enough to be turned into a tv show. I loved everything having to do with dinosaurs... Barney was absolutely perfect at that time.

During another late-night search, I came across this too.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=260866664286&nma=true&rt=nc&si=PedGiNEwzhwbjOqQaPopvwXazBM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

And thank you as well, pikapal. Polly Pocket... wow. I remember the vintage ones and it just astounds me how they're so different now, so I keep forgetting about them. Is it just me though, or does my puppy look a little faded?

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 March 2012, 01:56 pm »
Does the dog's head turn from side to side?

These came in a pack of three dogs (the third one is around here SOMEWHERE) with the "clothes" to dress them up. They do say "made in china" on their belly, though.

Close-up of eyes

Close-up of bow

My mama bought them for my daughter at either Dollar General or Family Dollar (but I'm leaning towards Dollar General) within the past couple of months. I'm going to go ahead and go to Dollar General and see if I can find yours, as my daughter and I could use a morning outing before we have to get to work with our housework anyway. ;) I'll take my camera and take a picture if I find anything! :D

Offline Wardah

« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 March 2012, 02:33 pm »
On the fakie LPS they dogs were also sold with Fakie Barbies at Walmart or Kmart fairly recently.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 March 2012, 03:34 pm »
Do you mean, is the head able to turn all the way around, or does the head sort of wobble to the sides, as if loose? Because the answer to both of those questions is yes. :P

She's awfully small for something that I would think would be a dress up toy... she's a little smaller than a G4 MLP.

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 March 2012, 03:36 pm »
Here's a pink version of your dog! :D

Or it could be this:

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 March 2012, 03:39 pm »
Yeah, they're little. :P The first pictures that I posted are taken on a window sill. You can see my thumb in the second set of pictures for size reference. :P

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 March 2012, 06:53 pm »
Here's a pink version of your dog! :D

Aaaahhhh!!!! I can't even.

I almost picked up a doll at a different Goodwill today that was just like that, only with a black hair and purple streak. I almost picked her up because she was so SSC-like, but decided not to and put her back.

After class today, I've gotta run back up there and grab her... it must be a coincidence sign...

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 March 2012, 08:18 pm »
-hehe- I wish you the best of luck! :D

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 March 2012, 10:31 pm »
wow that is a neat find though but if it is a knock off it is cutting it way close to the real thing.

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 March 2012, 02:50 pm »
Hehe, yep, that's a Glamour Girl/Pet Pals dog. I got one of the dolls at Dollar General last year. They use the SSC body (pinky sticking out!).

In any case, the dogs were available in both sets. The doll and dogs are actually pretty good quality for $2 fakies; lots of hair, decent plastic, nice paint job ... sadly, the doll's dress is NOT, lol!

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 March 2012, 09:45 am »
Love Dino by Soma:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LOVE-DINO/dp/B004OD9OAG

I have another photo of a 4-pack somewhere on my computer.

Group picture with the dogs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm//310390365508
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)