Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: This is a long shot, but... a 60 year old German Hedgehog doll?  (Read 5539 times)

Offline ForeverKokiri

This is a long shot, but... a 60 year old German Hedgehog doll?
« on: Thursday 12 April 2012, 03:16 am »

All right, toy experts... I bought this hedgehog doll because I recognized her as a famous character, but the name slipped my mind.

As it stands, this looks like it is supposed to be a doll of German children's character Micki...

... but I can't find anything close to mine ANYWHERE!

Her body is painted paper-mache with celluloid shoes. Her clothing is a combination of cloth and felt. The sticker on her foot is written in English.

My question is -- is this an interesting fake, or official Mecki merchandise made for an American market?

I don't expect to get many answers on this here, but if anyone even knows a good forum to ask about her at, it would be appreciated. I'd really like some info on this bizarre gal!

Offline zombiebunny

• My blog
Re: This is a long shot, but... a 60 year old German Hedgehog doll?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 April 2012, 03:08 pm »

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 2012, 04:53 pm »
Zombie: WOW! What an amazing collection you have dug up! I don't speak a word of German, though, so if you could e-mail her about it, that would be great. I can't find many English sites about the characters, but from what I've seen, I'm almost positive that my doll is Micki, Mecki's wife. (Mecki is a boy!)

Offline zombiebunny

• My blog
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 April 2012, 05:47 pm »
Oh sorry about the name! I always just found Mecki as name...and I really know nothing about them.

I e-mailed the lady and gave her a link to this post. I hope we get an answer :) Sometimes it's best just to ask a pro ;p

I don't know how many infos in english are out there. I can always translate if necessary.

The first Mecki doll was produced in 1951 by "steiff" and they were sold world-wide it seems. Mecki and Micki even got children : Macki and Mucki (real creative, right?!)
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecki There is a big entry in german, but it's mainly about the comics and books. I need to ask my parents some more.

Offline zombiebunny

• My blog
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 April 2012, 11:11 am »
Okay, I got a short answer. The 'GDR' stands for German Democratic Repuplic and it was a figure for import.

I'll send you a private message ^^

anything
anything