Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Melanie's Mall  (Read 28118 times)

Offline EricaVee

Melanie's Mall
« on: Saturday 03 April 2010, 07:56 am »
This was a toy in the nineties made by Cap Toys, it was a dollhouse that was a mall. It's been mentioned in passing a few times on the forums, I think, once as an incorrect ID for a different toy. There was a basic set that had a small food court, elevator, and a few stores. From there you could buy different store playsets to add on to the mall, as well as other accessories like cash registers that came with credit cards. The dolls were small, maybe three inches? I have Melanie somewhere and a few parts of the mall, but I don't know where most of it went.

I don't really know how much info is out there but there are lots of online auctions for the playsets and things and a quick Google search pulled up lots of results, which is a nice change--not only do all of my favorite childhood toys keep turning out to be by Cap Toys, but there's usually little to no info on them! Anyway, this was one of my favorite toys and I'd love to see a page on it.
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)
-Lady Lovely Locks Seek & Peek board game
-Used/nude Fashionista Ken

Offline pikapal

Re: Melanie's Mall
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 April 2010, 08:50 am »
I think I have a picture of one of the mall sets.

Offline mouse

« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 April 2010, 12:44 pm »
My sister and I had I think all of the Melanies Mall sets that were released in Australia. This was one of the toys I didn't keep and now wish I had!

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 April 2010, 05:55 pm »
I was actually making a page for them awhile back. :-P I'd scanned in all the pamphlets. My sister had every set except a few kiosk/doll sets that came out at the very end!
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline zap18

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 April 2010, 10:44 pm »
The trouble is... the darn thing falls apart!  My sister had pretty much the whole thing too, but what remains... well, we have the dolls! 

Here's a few pamphlet shots I have on my computer:

Offline zuse

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 April 2010, 01:21 am »
Finally published my semi-complete site. :) This toy was one that my sister collected and I really liked it too. I was always a bit jealous that she got almost the complete line and I only ever got a few of the Littlest Pet Shops (the toy I liked).

http://melaniesmall.50webs.com/

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline zap18

« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 April 2010, 02:21 am »
Ooh, now I can start assembling!  I think I might have more remaining than I thought!

Offline pikapal

« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 April 2010, 05:24 am »
A Toys R Us catalog scan of the mall.

Offline mouse

« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 April 2010, 01:21 pm »
pikapal - is that your scan and the circles are of things you were hoping to get? I always used to circle things in catalogues (sometimes I still do!)

Offline zuse

« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 April 2010, 04:56 pm »
Me too!

And then all my catalogs and Wishbooks were thrown out...

Offline pikapal

« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 April 2010, 06:09 pm »
Yeah I wanted the mall. I still circle stuff in catalogs now.  :P ;D

Offline EricaVee

« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 April 2010, 12:51 am »
This is awesome info! I keep finding parts of the mall scattered in amongst my Barbie things, I will look through them tonight to see what I have. I know for sure I had the first setup with the beauty shop and I had the photo booth.
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)
-Lady Lovely Locks Seek & Peek board game
-Used/nude Fashionista Ken

Offline zuse

« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 April 2010, 03:21 am »
Did you see the commercials I found? (Three!)

Offline zap18

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 April 2010, 05:02 am »
Woo hoo for commercials!!

Does anybody have memories of which dolls came with which sets?  As in, which underwear/shoe colors belong with which sets?  Or perhaps have MOC pics with shoes visible?

I can pretty much confirm from Zuse's site that I have the correct number of unique dolls, and can place them within approximate times within the line based on face style, but when it comes down to three single fashion blondes, etc. I can't figure out who is who.

Anybody?

Offline zuse

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 April 2010, 05:19 am »
Well, I will try to work on it more next week but I can tell you the "beach" ones wear sandals. And the bride is white and the ballerina pink. Hopefully someone else can give you more info in the meantime!

anything
anything