Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: old stuffed dog  (Read 5904 times)

Offline BondGirlOO17

old stuffed dog
« on: Wednesday 25 April 2012, 06:58 am »
This is Scruffy Puppy. I have no idea how long I had him, and I'm not sure whether he was always so curled up, or if that is something that just happened over time. He has no tag, because I hated tags and cut them off of everything all the time.

As you can see he is all brown & plushy, except for his eyes and nose, which are black & solid.
Any information would be great!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

Re: old stuffed dog
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 April 2012, 05:23 pm »
I had two of these! Well, they weren't mine exactly. My uncle and his old girlfriend gave these to each other for Valentine's Day sometime in the late '80s, and I guess he ended up with them because they were always at our grandma's house when we were growing up. Yes, they are supposed to be curled up, and if they're not then both of mine were so perhaps they're just prone to it. I always thought it was because they were bulldogs. I don't think we have them anymore, because otherwise I would check the tags for you, but since they were V-day gifts I wonder if maybe they came from a flower shop or the Walmart holiday aisle.

Calling all teddy experts! Please help me find my Cuddle Bear!

Offline BondGirlOO17

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 2012, 12:34 am »
Interesting. I actually think mine might have originally been my mom's, which would make sense if it had been a Valentine's plushy, I'll have to ask her about it!

Offline Dludnerad

« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 2012, 07:04 pm »
I think they are called Wrinkle Pups and may have been sold through Avon.
They came as a two set, one larger than the other and are probably meant to be shar-peis.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 July 2012, 07:17 am »
Dludnerad, my apologies, I must have missed your reply. Just wanted to say thanks for the info. I'm kind of thinking about buying one back just because they are nostalgic and quite cute.  :)

Calling all teddy experts! Please help me find my Cuddle Bear!

Offline Perenal

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 July 2012, 10:26 am »
My brother and I had one each as well. Wrinkly little shar pei dogs. Ours were Gunds, but I've also seen non-Gund ones as well that were quite similar, less stuffing and more floppiness.  :)

Offline 67052012

« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 July 2012, 06:46 am »
Wow! I just posted my own unknown dog - it's exactly the same!
I researched the Avon wrinkle pups but I don't think they're it. The Avon ones were filled with beans. I did see the same toy dog on an episode of Friends recently, Matthew Perry's character was playing with it.
Good to know I'm not the only one - I'll keep looking!

anything
anything