Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Fantasy figures (vintage?)- Centaur, Dragon, and 3 Bearded Unicorns  (Read 4962 times)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

I picked them up in a bag at Goodwill and frankly, just because I wanted the bearded unicorns for my MLP fakie collection. They look to me like they could be either vintage or new, but I honestly can't tell. I'd guess sometime between 1975-2012, so I know that doesn't exactly narrow it down.

They are marked on their bellies, but I'm having trouble making it out. It looks like "DIENER IND INC" to me. They are made out of a material sort of in between a hard rubber and a resin.

Does anyone recognize them? Are they game pieces? Gumball machine prizes? Extras? Cheap dollar store toys? From their own separate line?

Calling all teddy experts! Please help me find my Cuddle Bear!

Offline hime

Re: Fantasy figures (vintage?)- Centaur, Dragon, and 3 Bearded Unicorns
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 July 2012, 01:05 am »
One possibility is dragonriders of the Styx (a lare 70s-early 80s line that consisted of 3 3/4 figures and a series of playmats that came with little figures just like those  and the pony? I'm not sure but it looks like it's from "ponyville"(fims predesessor)

Offline catlover51

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 July 2012, 02:45 am »
ebay has a bunch listed under Diener

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 July 2012, 06:01 am »
Well, the Blind Bag pony was just added for a size reference. I know who she is... I bought her from the store.

These Diener figures are really interesting though. I'm finding a few other sets through Google, but so far no names or any other type of information, just pictures.

Does anyone know anything about Diener? Were they popular? Are they still around? These are quite fascinating actually...

Offline Dludnerad

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 July 2012, 07:45 am »

They are erasers from the early 70's that might have gone hard over time.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28773898@N04/5860164502/
There seems to have been quite a range of them available, including dinosaurs.
http://www.toydirectory.com/DienerIndustries/
I have a set of glow in the dark dinosaurs in the same moulds that are not erasers. Got them in the early 90's.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 July 2012, 08:01 am »
So since they are erasers... is it okay that I washed them in the sink with Dawn soap? That won't hurt the rubber, will it?  :o One of them really needed a bath and I wanted to go ahead and wash the others too just to make sure they were clean.

The one that needed cleaning also got a bit of a nail polish remover swipe because he had these ugly gray marks on him.

anything
anything