Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Questions to ask aging relitives  (Read 6200 times)

Offline jfinner1

Questions to ask aging relitives
« on: Monday 16 July 2012, 08:04 am »
I've been working on my family tree for about a year now. My maternal grandfather's family had kept really good records that gave me a great start on that side of the family, but I have almost no information on my maternal grandmother's side of the family. (I'm not even looking at my paternal lines yet because I have a hard time talking to most of my dad's family...) Anyways, great-grandmother is still alive (mom's mom's mom) but she's 93yrs old, in a nursing home, with failing health and a failing memory. I really want to ask her as many questions as I can about her side of the family, and my great-grandfather's family, while I still have the chance. But I'm not sure where to begin. I know I need to ask the basics, like her parent's names, her sibling's names, her grandparent's names, and if she knows any of their birth dates. But I really want my family tree to be more then just a list of names and dates. So, I'm looking for input. Thanks in advance!

Offline catlover51

Re: Questions to ask aging relitives
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 July 2012, 05:54 pm »
Where did she go to school? Maybe you can dig up yearbooks or at least pics from the school or the historical societies.
Where were family members buried?
If you have family photos try to get as many identified as possible.

I work in a small library with a Historical Society for our hamlet and the rather large town we are connected to. They are rarely open so we are constantly getting people looking for great so and so and asking who to contact. We have several books about the history of the town with random people and some have actually found a family member. Our historians and cemetery committee are both 5 minutes away and always eager to come right down to answer questions, show people around and get into their collections to show what info they have.
They would also love to see what you have learned about their local families so they can share with others in your family that may come looking to reconnect. :)
Good luck this is a huge project but usually loads of fun. 

anything