Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Vintage Blue Stuffed Poodle  (Read 16631 times)

Offline marlipaige

Vintage Blue Stuffed Poodle
« on: Thursday 19 July 2012, 05:57 am »
So my grandmother (God bless her) decided to throw away some of my favorite toys of all time. This particular one was about 1.5 feet high and 1.5 feet long (these measurements may not be correct because I have not seen the poodle in over 5 years now),  , really stiffly stuffed, stand up on its own, and was a poodle. It was my father's. He was born in 1949, so it was most likely made in the 50s. I CANNOT find a picture of this toy. I cannot find anything that tells me about this toy. I don't know who it was made by. But I would LOVE to find a picture of it and possibly find one again.

It greatly resembled both the Steiff poodle but steiff never made a blue poodle. I don't believe it had glass eyes, and I KNOW it had the little red tongue pictured on the white poodle. I do not know that it was actually jointed, but it was definitely in a standing position and you could sort of maneuver it to sit down. However, I cannot find any other 1950s manufacturers with poodles of this look (except Steiff and Jee Bee. Steiff never made a "blue" poodle. and Jee Bee's face is all wrong)

Anyone know where to go from here? Suggestions? Have you ever seen one? Do you have one?

Thanks in advance

To give a guide:

Steiff Poodle - it looked almost identical to this.

Except it was this color:

or maybe just a hint greener than that blue.

Another dog that looked similar, a "Jee Bee" (except for the face / googly eyes )
http://modpets.blogspot.com/2011/10/vintage-kitsch-jee-bee-creations-17.html

« Last Edit: Saturday 21 July 2012, 07:41 am by marlipaige »

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
Re: Vintage Blue Stuffed Poodle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 July 2012, 06:57 am »
My thoughts:

(Images taken from eBay and the web)

Kamar

Herman Pecker

Dakin Dream Pets:
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline Dludnerad

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 July 2012, 09:17 pm »

was it anything like this pink poodle?
http://tinyurl.com/bremqm7

Offline marlipaige

« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 July 2012, 05:06 am »
The Herman Pecker one is ADORABLE, but not it. It was closer to that color though. A medium / bright blue, not a light blue.

And I guess it was kind of like the pink one. I'm not exactly sure. I don't think it had the puffy legs and such. It was more all one type / color.

Thanks for all the help

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 July 2012, 06:47 pm »
There was a similar Dakin one:

Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline marlipaige

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 July 2012, 05:15 am »
Yeah those are adorable but not really anything like my  poodle except color-ish.

The white one and the yellow one (minus googly eyes) were really almost exactly the body shape / style.

It really did look almost identical to the white one. Which I guess begs the question...was it possibly a steiff that someone dyed?? Or was it an "oops"? Or was there a company somewhere that made something that looked identical to the steiff poodles and sold them in wacky colors here in the states?

It was suggested to me that perhaps it was a carnival toy, as a great number of cherished childhood toys from the 50s were attained that way. Anyone know any manufacturers of carnival toys from the 50s?

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: Saturday 21 July 2012, 07:44 am by marlipaige »

Offline iheartkatamari

• Keeper of the Fun
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 August 2012, 06:52 am »
I researched some vintage carnival toys and found the names of a few manufacturers:

Minnesota Animal Fair

Shalom

Columbia Toy Products

A&L Novelty Co.

Superior Toy & Novelty Inc.

Knox Kreations

Brooklyn Doll & Toy Co.

Genie Toys Inc.

Christy Mfg. Co.

Wonder Toy Company

S.T.I.

Dollcraft Industries Ltd.

Headaya & Co.

Animal Fair Inc.

I noticed also that a lot of carnival toys of that era were made in Japan or Korea. I found another poodle with a similar appearance to yours(but regrettably the wrong color) that was made in Japan; perhaps your poodle was made in Japan too?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-50S-60S-STUFFED-PLUSH-JOINTED-POODLE-DOG-JAPAN-/130672812309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6cb4e115
« Last Edit: Friday 31 August 2012, 10:17 pm by iheartkatamari »

Offline iheartkatamari

• Keeper of the Fun
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 September 2012, 11:45 pm »
Oh say, I was just browsing ebay and found a poodle that looks very much like the one you described. I'm not positive, but I wonder if she might be your poodle:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170908756369?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 September 2012, 07:24 am »
Stiffly stuffed means it was likely stuffed with sawdust.

Is this her? I doubt it since the build is all wrong, but I thought I'd place her here anyway.

There's also this toy -- http://www.rubylane.com/item/50389-vlo2282/Battery-Operated-Toy-Poodle

It was made in the 50s and looks like what you're describing, so it's  possible that your poodle just lost its remote control somewhere along the way.

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 October 2012, 02:12 am »
I saw her.

I was in an antique store near my parents' house and I looked to my left, and bam, there was your poodle. It couldn't have been anything else. She looked exactly as you described her -- a greenish aqua poodle that looked a lot like the stieff one.

But I really have no way of getting her to you, so I didn't buy her. I wish I would have had my camera with me. I'm almost certain it was what you're describing.

The only markings on her was a tag reading "Made in Hong Kong", so I'm guessing she was more of a dollar-store toy.

EDIT: I did a little digging on ebay and found dozens of carnival-prize poodles that look like yours, but are the wrong color.

They all look like this and most are simply tagged "Made in Japan." Now that I think about it, the one in the antique store was probably labeled "Japan", not "Hong Kong."
« Last Edit: Thursday 25 October 2012, 02:22 am by ForeverKokiri »

Offline Stuffedpoodle

« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 November 2012, 04:50 pm »
I had one . I have a picture of me carrying one. I'm sure I know which your talking about. Ill see if I can attach a picture.

Offline Stuffedpoodle

« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 November 2012, 05:18 pm »
[imghttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150598852338651&set=a.10150598852293651.382034.749518650&type=1][/img]

Here's my stuffed poodle. I'm pretty sure it was blue and my sister had a pink one.

Offline Stuffedpoodle

« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 November 2012, 05:37 pm »

How about this one.?

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 November 2012, 05:50 am »
You need to back-click on the photo and copy the image location. How you get the image location will be different depending on your browser.

Offline markalbard

• taufanzug junge
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 November 2012, 04:38 pm »
The Herman Pecker one is ADORABLE, but not it. It was nearer to that shade though. A method / shiny red, not a mild red.

And I think it was kind of like the white one. I'm not exactly sure. I don't think it had the swollen feet and such. It was more all one kind / shade.
taufanzug junge zu fairen Preisen finden Sie bei Princessmoda.