Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Big White Duck  (Read 5564 times)

Offline TheMinorityof1990

Big White Duck
« on: Friday 24 August 2012, 08:33 pm »
I've had this duck for years. I used to use it in games I'd play with my brother, in his room. I'd love to know what line she came from.

Offline Dludnerad

Re: Big White Duck
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 August 2012, 11:33 am »

It might be an easter toy, or a Jemima Puddleduck.
She's adorable :)

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 August 2012, 01:55 pm »
She reminds me of the Mother Goose that was on a show and would tell her babies stories on the Disney Channel. :P

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 August 2012, 04:49 pm »
Jim Henson's Mother Goose Stories.  That was the name of the TV show.  I would buy it on DVD if they had the complete series available.  As it is, they've only released 12 episodes on two DVDs.  It was a cute show, not as good as Jim Henson's The Storyteller series, but still good.  I do have The Storyteller Collection (has the original The Storyteller series and The Storyteller Greek Myths series).  Unfortunately the DVD is out of print and not that cheap:  http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Hensons-Storyteller-Definitive-Collection/dp/B000EU1Q5E/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1345995782&sr=1-1&keywords=the+storyteller
I remember it being $14.95 at Borders when I bought it in 2006 I think.
Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theatre is also an excellent series.  Childhood, aww.  I have very fond memories of those series.  Have FTT on DVD too.  Wasn't by Jim Henson, but a really good series if you love fairy tales.  I'm shocked at the innuendo in that series.  As a little girl, I did not realize how racy these were.  But they bring back so many memories.  And so many celebrities!  I vividly remembered Robin Williams as Prince Robin in the Frog Prince.  I remembered almost the entire episode minus the innuendo from childhood.
Interestingly enough, it was that Frog Prince episode and the Muppets Frog Prince that were my first introductions to that fairy tale.  The Muppets one is the best version of the Frog Prince story I have ever seen.  It's not available on DVD, unfortunately.  I got lucky to find a VHS copy for $1 a few weeks ago at Goodwill.  You can watch it on Youtube though, and I highly recommend it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU6kh7SfDbA
That's part 1.
Edit:  You can watch The Storyteller on Youtube as well.  This one is my favorite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wSMxltXkW0
Do watch at least one episode of this series.  It's one of the most beautifully done series I've ever seen.  So artistic!  The Greek Myths series is not as good, unfortunately.
And you can watch Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theatre on Youtube too.  Best episode overall is Hansel and Gretel (used to scare the crap out of me as a kid, but it is my favorite now.  Best written and best acted in my opinion).  Again, lots of big stars on that show, 70s and 80s stars, some are still big (Robin Williams, Bernadette Peters, Eric Idle, Susan Sarandon, Michael Richards, Vincent Price, etc).
I think they should consider bringing this series back with today's stars and better production (the sets were good for the time).  At least we have Once Upon a Time.  I love that series.

But, I digress.

It definitely looks like a Mother Goose stuffed animal, but I don't know exactly which one.  Does it still have its tag?  If it does, is it legible?
« Last Edit: Sunday 26 August 2012, 04:55 pm by luckdragon »

« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 August 2012, 07:08 pm »
No, there's no tag anywhere on her. Thanks though, Luckdragon :) I shall certainly check out
those leads.

Dludnerad, I agree. She was definately one of the most played with toys I had :) My brother had a smaller duck of the same type of material, and we used to pretend my duck was his ducks mother. :)

Good times. We may still have that little duck, actually. I'll know for sure when we clear the loft out.

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 August 2012, 10:30 pm »
Yeah, they had the Mother Goose Stories and Fairie Tale Theatre on Instant Netflix, but now you have to get them through the mail. (I have three or four of the Fairie Tale Theatre ones on VHS, but am probably about to get rid of them.) They do have the Story Teller show and the Greek Myth versions that you spoke about on Instant right now. (I've never heard of them.)

Offline vintagequeen16

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 August 2012, 06:48 am »
She kind of reminds me of one of the geese sisters from The Aristocats, the Disney movie about the French cats.  Granted, I haven't seen that movie in years, but that was the first thing to come to mind.

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 August 2012, 07:42 pm »
Now why didn't I think of that?

Those sisters are so funny :P I wonder.

anything