Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Ever given away a toy then realized what it was?  (Read 8417 times)

Offline RBSprite82

Ever given away a toy then realized what it was?
« on: Wednesday 12 September 2012, 12:41 pm »
For the longest time I had a big purple bear and I didn't know who it was.. I never even thought to Google him, anyway, I gave it away a few months ago and once I found this site I realized it was a Cuddle Brite. I don't think they are very sought after or popular but I wish I had kept him now! lol  What about you guys.. ever give anything away that you wish you hadn't?

Offline Mysstica

Re: Ever given away a toy then realized what it was?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 September 2012, 01:04 pm »
After I moved out of the house, my mama and daddy kept telling me to come get my old toys. I never did.

Years later, I ended up getting interested in old toys again, so I tried to get them, but we couldn't find most of them. I spent a lot of time looking, until my mom finally confessed that she had taken it all to Good Samaritan's years before. :O

It would have been nice to have had some of my childhood Barbies (especially since I now know what some of them were! ;) ) and I'd had the Jumbo Love elephant and was completely unaware that it was worth anything. ;)

Offline TheMinorityof1990

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 September 2012, 04:08 pm »
Yeah, when I was a kid, someone gave me a big polar bear plushie and two panda plushies. Mum accepted them at first, and I loved them straight away, and never stopped loving them. But Mum started nagging me to get rid of them. I tried to resist, but I think she either wore me down and I agreed to give them away to have a quiet life, or she just gave them away without me knowing one day.

I haven't thought of them for years.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 September 2012, 05:23 pm »
I donated a strange rock like dinosaur thing.

then i went to a nerd site and found out it was part of the rocks, bugs and things toy line and worth money too.

Offline dolliecrazy

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 November 2012, 06:11 pm »
I gave away some dolls to goodwill only to regret it. I gave away a Patty Playpal, Charmin Chatty, Chatty baby, Baby Strawberry shortcake blow kiss doll, a my child, coleco cabbage patch kids, care bears, my little ponies and more :( I was moving and overwhelmed by the amount of dolls i had. I must admit i still am. I moved to a very small apartment and i don't have room to display all my dolls. Its so sad some are in storage containers. 

Offline *emmy*lou*

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 November 2012, 10:58 pm »
Yes! My Keypers and my Firffel, 'Dicken', which I LOVED as a child (I'm 34 now BTW!). Never leave anything in your parents' attic when you leave home!!

Offline hazelanne123

« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 November 2012, 03:25 am »
yes...my action figures that i thought it's nonsense having it because im too old for that but after i gave birth i try browsing stuff to buy for my kid and lots of online sites has a huge collection of action figures..

Offline Stonecreek

« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 January 2013, 03:05 am »
I still don't know what he is, my parents looked him up a year or so ago.

But....

Basically my older brother had this monster looking toy thing (it use to give me nightmares LOL) they got him back in the 80s and it was an old toy then they just didn't think anything of it because they paid like $1 at a garage sale for it.

Well after we all got a little older they gave it away to my uncle. Well they now found out that same toy is selling for like $150....

Offline Skyhorse82

« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 March 2013, 11:54 am »
Yes *sigh*....I was so happy the day I bought my huge Rainbow Brite doll at the school fete, for like $1 in 1989. I was 6 or 7. I could not believe one of my fellow class mates had donated her for the sale. I knew then she was special, knew she was an absolute bargain, and she'd be worth a small fortune now I am sure. I bonded with it, especially when my parents separated for a few months in 1989. Mum was never keen on the look of the doll, thought RB had a 'big ugly head', lol. After awhile, I naturally lost a bit of interest in the doll (around this time, Lil Miss Makeup came into my life), but I obviously still treasured her. One day, I came home, and RB was gone...to Good Will *shakes fists in despair*. I still remind my mother to this day that it was a horrid thing to do; she now realises that Rainbow Brite was/is kind of a big deal.

Years later, I would consciously get rid of Lil Miss Makeup too, along with my beloved Meccano set, and My Pretty Ballerina.....NOOOOO!!!! Though the latter was no great loss; most awkward doll to play with if ever I saw one.

Offline DLAMDiva

« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 January 2014, 05:15 am »
No, I can't say i've ever regretted giving away a toy. I have a rule that if I can't properly care for a toy, I'll give it to a kid before I'll put it in storage. Maybe this is a weird way of thinking, but I had a favorite toy ruined in storage so I'd rather see my toys in the arms of a hapy child than in a basement or attic where goodness knows what may happen to them.

anything
anything