Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: [Cartoon] Swiss Family Robinsons - Fox Family Channel  (Read 14053 times)

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
[Cartoon] Swiss Family Robinsons - Fox Family Channel
« on: Thursday 22 April 2010, 03:38 pm »
One of my best friends loved a cartoon as a child that seems to be really obscure... it was a dubbed Japanese cartoon. Our version came on the Fox Family Channel in the early 1990s and was called "The Swiss Family Robinsons." I've seen some of the ones she still has taped on VHS and it was alright... mostly nostalgia for her I suppose. Anyways, I tried to track down this cartoon but apparently it has disappeared. We even e-mailed the guy that wrote the dubbed screenplay (Richard Epcar) and he doesn't even know what happened to it. Anyways, like I said they used a Japanese cartoon called "Flone and the Island" that was part of the World Masterpieces Theatre (WMT) series (also had Little Women, etc.)

From looking at the internet this cartoon also seemed to be dubbed in other languages. So... does anyone from Europe or from the US remember this show? Or maybe someone that knows a lot about anime? It's kind of my mission to track down the US series on DVD for her sometime... it would be the best present to give her sometime in the future. It would be soooo funny because we would be the only two that would get it. :-P I've found the Japanese show online... but even if there was English subtitles it wouldn't be the same. They actually wrote the story/dialogue from scratch I believe, to go with the animation. It's not just a direct translation of the original Japanese show.

« Last Edit: Thursday 22 April 2010, 04:57 pm by zuse »
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline pikapal

Re: [Cartoon] Swiss Family Robinsons - Fox Family Channel
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 April 2010, 03:18 am »
They currently show this cartoon/anime on TBN's children's network Smile of a Child. They also show Little Women on that channel.

Offline zuse

« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 April 2010, 03:23 am »
Wow! I'll have to tell her! I guess to add channels like that you have to pay if you just get cable, right?

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline pikapal

« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 April 2010, 03:33 am »
In my area I get the channel through a converter box. But I'm pretty sure you can get the channel through cable and satellite too.

Here's some info on the show.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=440

« Last Edit: Friday 23 April 2010, 03:38 am by pikapal »

Offline zuse

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 May 2010, 12:27 am »
Maybe one day I won't have to get an obscure channel to tape it. Blah.

Offline alicewonder

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 May 2010, 09:09 pm »
Holy moly Stromboli !
 I just picked up volume one and two today on vhs along with Rock a doodle , Muppet babies and Thumbellina, Scooby plus an obscure looks like anime Pinochio. Don't know if we'll keep any of them though. Guess I will watch it with my hubby and see. I went a little vhs crazy trying to find my old favs ( Care Bears in Wonderland, Jetsons meet the flintstones, Dixie's Diner) One day I swear I'll find them since they haven't realeased any on dvd yet  ??? Grrr

Offline EdenEye

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 May 2010, 06:08 am »
Hey Alicewonder, how would you like to have those movies on DVD?

Carebears in Wonderland http://www.ioffer.com/i/care-bears-adventure-in-wonderland-movie-147256729

Jetsons meet the Flinstones http://www.ioffer.com/i/the-jetsons-meet-the-flintstones-feature-movie-on-dvd-147043771

I find all the rarest movies on Ioffer. You basically get a copy of the movie that has been transfered from VHS to DVD. But when it's a movie you have been searching for forever, it feels so good to finally get it! I have ordered many times. Check the other items that people are selling because they tend to sell other similar movies and you can get a deal on a bunch of them!

Offline alicewonder

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 May 2010, 12:30 pm »
EdenEye Thanks! That would be awsome. I take it the quality is ok even though it's an old transfer?

Offline EdenEye

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 May 2010, 05:20 pm »
I have ordered lots of movies/tv shows from different people and usually the quality is good. :) They will sometimes let you know like 8/10 quality. I got the entire babysitter's club tv show, goosebumps, ghostwriter, tales from the darkside, are you afraid of the dark, and on and on and on. Lots of great stuff that will probably never be released on DVD or Bluray. But just like Ebay, check the ratings of the seller. I've bought from many just had trouble with one seller. Eventually got all my money back 2 months later.

Offline zuse

« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 October 2010, 09:43 pm »
I wish I could find these on tape! That would be a fun Christmas present! :D

anything
anything