Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: My best friend of the last 38 years. '70's bunny plush  (Read 4605 times)

Offline ianthe99

My best friend of the last 38 years. '70's bunny plush
« on: Saturday 05 January 2013, 03:52 pm »
Does anyone have any info on this bunny? He's been my best friend my whole life. His name is Bun-bun.

What I know is:

He was probably bought around Easter, in 1973 or 1974.
He was bought in Middletown Ohio, (I think, anyway)
Most likely bought at Rinks. Maybe Airway.

He used to be stuffed with plastic pellets.  Over the years, his material has become kind of fragile, and he's always need repaired because his stuffing was pulling him apart. A while back, I did a little stuffing replacement surgery to fill him with fiberfill and prolong his life. I made him a red velvet heart with some of his original stuffing though. At that time, I replaced a washer for one of his eyes. the washer had rusted decades ago and the eye had been held in with a patch made of sewing thread.  The satin in his ears has been replaced so many times, because I used to rub holes in it, rubbing it on my nose. I think it was originally light blue. His nose was fuzzy, I think, but washing melted the glue behind it, so that's how it looks now.

He usually has a nightgown that I made him, but I figure I should show you what he looks like. Has anyone ever seen a bunny like this?

Offline wingsinmoonlight

• Yesterday's Child on Ebay
Re: My best friend of the last 38 years. '70's bunny plush
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 January 2013, 06:41 am »
I don't know if they can help, but this site http://plushmemories.com/ seems pretty good at iding old plushies.

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 February 2013, 12:26 am »
Was he green, turquoise, or baby blue when you got him?

Did he ever have a rattle, music box, cryer, etc inside of him?

What shade of blue was the satin in his ears? Light, Dark, or somewhere in between?

What color was his nose?

Are you sure he wasn't handmade? Any remnants of a tag on him?

Anything you can remember will help.

Offline ianthe99

« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 February 2013, 02:34 pm »
If I remember right, he was baby blue with baby blue satin ear lining. His nose was white and slightly fuzzy, I believe. The only thing that ever was inside his was those little plastic pellets that kind of reminded me of blood platelets, shape-wise. (kind of round ish, but squished top to bottom.)  I don't see any tag remnants, but he's been so loved, they could have worn away. He's definitely not handmade. Mom said she bought him at Airway about a year before I was born. I was looking through Ebay, and he kind of reminds me of the Knickerbocker plush I see.. but I haven't found another like him.

anything