Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Please help me identify this doll!  (Read 7177 times)

Offline jsandersis

Please help me identify this doll!
« on: Sunday 21 April 2013, 03:04 am »
My wife has had this doll for about 30 years, it was given to her by her best friend in the 80's. We had an unfortunate incident between the doll and our new German Shepherd puppy, the puppy won :( . She is heartbroken and with our anniversary coming up I would like to make her feel better.  Her and her girlfriend had nicknamed him Mr. Happy Pants, because sometime long ago he had a pair of long red (not original) pants they put on him. Please help me as my wife is terribly distraught. The only markings on the doll are on the back of his head and the back of his body where it says TAIWAN (who would have guessed). As far as I can tell there are no other manufacturer markings or dates anywhere on him. He has black hair, a blue nose, a red "v" smile,  stands about 5 inches tall and has poseable arms, and black and white eyes.

« Last Edit: Sunday 21 April 2013, 03:09 am by jsandersis »

Offline Mysstica

Re: Please help me identify this doll!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 April 2013, 03:17 am »
And he's... flat??

Offline jsandersis

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 April 2013, 03:32 am »
Sorry, I'm new to this... he's not flat. Here are some more pics. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 April 2013, 07:22 am »
Can he turn his head or move his arms at all? Those may be some characteristics that we can help search for, as well as the side-glancing eyes.

Calling all teddy experts! Please help me find my Cuddle Bear!

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 April 2013, 08:18 am »
Can't help with the name, but found one for sale on eBay. Unfortunately it looks like this one has ".50" written on the back of his head in Sharpie. It says they have two available for sale... maybe one isn't written on? Ask them?

Or maybe you could do a head/body swap?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251229574105

« Last Edit: Sunday 21 April 2013, 08:22 am by zuse »
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 April 2013, 05:43 pm »
If you buy the doll from ebay, you can use acetone to take sharpie marks off of the doll.  First, try to erase it.  A local thrift store in my area uses a marker, but it's not a Sharpie, so a lot of times, it can be erased.  I use an eraser called Magic Rub.  You can usually find them in craft stores:
http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Rub-1954-Block-Eraser/dp/B002VCV4OQ/ref=pd_sbs_op_1
It's the best eraser ever!

If you have to use acetone (nail polish remover), put it on a cotton ball or cotton pad (like what one uses to remove makeup).  It can take several applications, and sometimes you'll still see a faint reddish/orange mark from it.

Or, you might can swap the head off your wife's original with this one like zuse said.  ;)

Good detective work, zuse!

Because the hands can cover the mouth, do you think they made 3 different dolls?  One to cover the mouth, one to cover the eyes, and one to cover the ears.  Like Don't See, Don't Hear, Don't Speak?
« Last Edit: Sunday 21 April 2013, 05:46 pm by luckdragon »

Offline jsandersis

« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 April 2013, 11:39 pm »
zuse, I don't know how you did it but thank you, thank you, thank you. I saw this post first thing this morning when I logged on just hopeing that people were at least looking and to my surprise I saw your response. I immediately followed your link and bought both of them that way my wife and her friend could both have memory from their past. Thank you again so much.

Offline zuse

« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 April 2013, 02:10 pm »
Yay! So glad to help!

I'd seen these before and saved a few pictures (meaning to ask about them here, but never did). They're like flattened Kewpie dolls or something?

I don't own these - the photos were saved from eBay a few years ago:

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline jsandersis

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 April 2013, 12:27 am »
Thank you so much fro your help zuse, you have made my day. I never knew they made him as a blonde or with a lump on his head. Thanks so much for all your help.

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 April 2013, 04:25 am »
Now the question is ... what ARE they!?

Offline Bohemian

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 April 2013, 04:52 am »
Org.  Who indeed?  I found another picture of one of them---but no reference to their maker:

http://skinnyvinnie.wordpress.com/2012/02/04/an-addition-is-being-made/

Offline Bohemian

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 April 2013, 05:08 am »
Another listing, very thorough images: http://www.etsy.com/listing/128096356/3-funny-vintage-baby-doll-party-or?ref=shop_favoriter, no identification, of course.  O.O

(Added photo. ~zuse)
« Last Edit: Wednesday 24 April 2013, 01:38 am by zuse »

Offline zuse

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 April 2013, 07:59 am »
Yay! I'm glad you were able to order them. The new guy won't be quite the same but it will be a neat way to continue the tradition and she'll definitely be touched you tracked him down!

Sorry I didn't see this one earlier - it looks to be in fairly good shape on close-up view and went unsold a few days ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190810014154

« Last Edit: Tuesday 23 April 2013, 11:26 pm by zuse »

Offline jsandersis

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 April 2013, 07:45 pm »
That's awesome to see that they can be found, I don't know how you guys do it, I searched for hours with no luck and you were able to find them. Thank you so much. If I do see another I will probably buy it also...just in case :) but to answer the earlier question...I have no idea what exactly they are called....it would be nice to know just for the future...to us he has always been called Mr. Happy Pants. Thanks again so much to everyone. If you do find out what his name really is I would definitely be interested in knowing as well as if you come across any more I would probably buy them as well. Thanks again everyone.

anything