Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: [ID: Shaggy Doggy Mommy, by M-Toy] Kenner Disney Fluppy Dog Minis or Fakies?  (Read 8057 times)

Offline Skyhorse82

Did Kenner or Disney release official Fluppy Dog minis? Not the plush ones, but the plastic-bodied ones with yarn hair? Or are they a line of fakes? I have seen a few floating around the net, and the faces vary, but most people still list them as Fluppy Dogs. I know I gave one of these toys to a friend for a birthday present in about 1988 (it was in a blister pack on a card backing), and then I found the same one (loose) yesterday at the Salvos and bought it but it has no markings whatsoever.

« Last Edit: Monday 13 January 2014, 12:41 am by Ghost Of The Doll »

Offline luckdragon

Re: Kenner Disney Fluppy Dog Minis or Fakies?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 October 2013, 04:50 am »
Did it look like the one in this auction?:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Rubber-Fluppy-Dog-5-Pink-With-Blue-White-Hair-Boy-Blue-Hair-/360507247271?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53efe80aa7

It looks like a fakie to me.  Disney is pretty consistent at making sure their products look true to character.

Offline Skyhorse82

« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 October 2013, 09:42 am »
Yes...I too came across this one that the owner claimed to be a Disney Fluppy dog. However, this is the first non-white bodied one I have seen. The rest, including mine, have a white vinyl/rubber body. The faces are virtually the same, but I am yet to find one that is actually marked or stamped as Disney or Kenner. I have found that some have a squeaker on the base too, but mine doesn't. Also the whisker dots are placed differently on some, and the position of the tongue also ranges from pointing up to pointing down *tearing my hair out*.

These are the ones I have come across so far:

This yellow and white one has a different face compared to the rest I have come across and it looks more authentic but I am not sure if it has a squeaker:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Fluppy-Puppy-Dog-Figure-Toy-Yellow-5-/380541136740

Additionally, it's nose is pink....it should be yellow if it were a real Fluppy, like the plush.

Here are two different sizes (scroll right down) with actual Kenner Fluppy dog names (Fanci and Tippi) AND they have squeakers on the base, but their faces look like the unmarked 'fake' ones to me (like my blue and white one):
http://www.etsy.com/listing/108800146/vintage-fluppy-toys-x2-fanci-tippi

But what's with the yarn quality on the big one? Thick AND thin yarn? That's new. And, they are different sizes too. But their nose colours do match their plush counterparts. I am guessing that authentic ones have the squeaker? Maybe they're all fakes or adaptations rather, with no official branding. I wish I could see one MOC or in other packaging. They probably came with a few accessories too.

Wikipedia: "While she may have been intended for the series, Fanci, an additional pink Fluppy Dog, was not featured in the pilot. Images, dolls, coloring books and puzzles supplied in the 1980s are from a children's book which included Fanci, and were apparently based on preliminary designs for the Fluppies. These are slightly different from the designs that appeared in the actual pilot film..."

I am confused about sizes, brand-stamps, squeakers, spots and tongues.....I really want to know more about these lines! :)

« Last Edit: Friday 04 October 2013, 01:18 pm by Skyhorse82 »

Offline Skyhorse82

« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 October 2013, 09:47 am »
...and more!

These ones have bigger noses, the right coloured noses (like the plush version), squeakers but I wonder if they are stamped. I think I will ask the seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980s-Kenner-2-Fluppy-Puppy-Dog-Rubber-Figures-Pink-Blue-Hard-to-Find-/181224146689?pt=Stuffed_Animals_US&hash=item2a31cd0701

This one: looks genuine, great detail, but no squeaker!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-BLUE-RUBBER-FLUPPY-DOGS-DISNEY-PUPPY-DOG-VINTAGE-STUFFED-ANIMAL-PLUSH-TOY-HTF-/200739130851?pt=Stuffed_Animals_US&hash=item2ebcfc0de3
« Last Edit: Friday 04 October 2013, 01:12 pm by Skyhorse82 »

Offline Skyhorse82

« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 November 2013, 12:51 am »

Offline Ghost Of The Doll

• Administrator
    • Powder Monki
Re: [ID: Shaggy Doggy Mommy, by M-Toy] Kenner Disney Fluppy Dog Minis or Fakies?
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 January 2014, 12:44 am »
Great ID as it also ID-ed a post from 2010!

I don't think Disney produced any plastic Fluppy Dogs as I've only ever come across this sort before. I think I'll add a little toy section in for them to help other collectors/sellers.
Buy retro PIN BADGES and FRIDGE MAGNETS on Powder Monki!

anything
anything