Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: 1980s tray puzzle  (Read 4090 times)

Offline jadedoz

1980s tray puzzle
« on: Saturday 05 October 2013, 08:58 am »
When I was young in the mid 1980s I had a number of cardboard tray puzzles, that were each brought separately. Each of the puzzles had one star shape and one person shaped piece. Also on the back of each of the puzzles were four small black and white pictures of other puzzles that were available. Does anyone know what brand of puzzle this could be???

One particular puzzle I remember the most was of a bear family having a birthday party with streamers and in the background was their house which was in a tree.

Offline Skyhorse82

Re: 1980s tray puzzle
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 October 2013, 12:22 pm »
The ones in my collection that have the memorable star and human/gingerbread man shape are bear-themed with teddy bears doing different activities (you might also recall other shapes such as a whale, a dove, a shoe, crown, airplane, elephant, duck, and a pig). These bear puzzles, and also the identical Hickory Dickory Dock one, do not have any brand or black and white images on the back, only a tiny batch number in the top left hand corner: J189F and J188F respectively, which makes me think they may have arrived as a pack. However, I would not be surprised if they were also made by Holdson or Murfett, like my other tray puzzles, as these companies made a lot of jigsaw puzzles during this era and often included special, easily-identifiable shapes in their patterns (boots and arrows as well). Additionally, all the puzzles have similar serial numbers.

Hope this helps out in some way! Let me know if I am completely off-track though, lol.
« Last Edit: Wednesday 27 November 2013, 01:38 am by Skyhorse82 »

Offline jadedoz

Re: 1980s tray puzzle
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 October 2013, 11:40 pm »
Thank you so much for your brilliant response! Yes I had totally forgotten about the crown and shoe shpapes. My bear puzzles were animated drawings not 3D pictures. I'm thinking they could of been Holdsons, but they had a logo and writing at the top of the puzzle, like Whitmans have. Thanks again
« Last Edit: Monday 14 October 2013, 11:22 pm by jadedoz »

anything