Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: [ID: Estella] 80s "Stella" children's purse/handbag like Rainbow Brite?  (Read 6304 times)

Offline Skyhorse82

Here's one that has been bugging me for many years now:

In about 1988, on my 6th Birthday, I received a small light pink purse/handbag (shoulder strap, vinyl trimming or tubing around the outside edges) and on the outer flap it had a picture of a Rainbow Brite look-alike (a little girl with short blonde or pink hair, wore a rainbow outfit similar to RB in style and colour) and she is sitting on a cloud or a rainbow, waving, and there are a few stars or a moon floating around too I think. In pink 80's style cursive font it says the name "Stella" or "Estelle" (but I really believe it was "Stella"). I can find no information on a character called Stella, but if anyone recalls a line of children's bags like this, please let me know!

P.S. When I say children's purse/handbag, think along the lines of the purse/bag sets they used to release for Care Bears, MLP, Strawberry Shortcake, etc. Mine was made  from the same material and in the same style. I don't think it came with a coin purse however.

« Last Edit: Wednesday 02 April 2014, 11:37 pm by Ghost Of The Doll »

Offline auntiekara80

Re: 80s "Stella" character children's purse/handbag like Rainbow Brite?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 January 2014, 09:41 pm »
after a few days of searching i did find this bag of Estella. She was on etsy with a bunch of anime bags so I think she maybe an old anime character but i'm not sure.

Offline hime

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 January 2014, 10:11 pm »
She looks like Minky momo  (Princess GiGi)

Offline Skyhorse82

« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 March 2014, 08:06 am »
Wow, I am flawed beyond words that you found this! Thanks so much! She is just as I remember too, amazing. Great to see this picture of 'Estella' again :) I went and looked up that Princess GiGi character too and yes, very similar!

Offline Skyhorse82

...looks like she may have been manufactured by 'Simba' as I have since found a few Estella wristwatches as well:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.svpply.com/large/1046084.jpg?1343860270

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.svpply.com/large/1449943.jpg?1389569632

How cool is that!?

Offline hime

Berry cool.

Offline auntiekara80

Re: 'Estella' 1980s children's handbag/purse line (like Rainbow Brite) *SOLVED!*
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 March 2014, 01:32 am »
Glad I could help!!

anything
anything