Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: 'Debbie's Telephone House' and/or Takara's 'Pocket Pals Phone Home'  (Read 5110 times)

Offline Skyhorse82

In about 1985 I received a toy called 'Debbie's Telephone House'. Next time I visit Mum, I will dig up the photo that shows the box it came in.

It was a pink plastic rotary telephone (light pink upper, white lower), with a white coiled cord, handset, and a dial. If you pressed a tiny button near the base, the whole phone would open up (into two halves) with a 'ping' sound (I think), to reveal a 2-storey house inside. Removable accessories included a weather vane, a letter box and a little white balcony or 'crows nest' that the two characters could stand in. There were a few holes on the phone's exterior that you could peg or plug these removable accessories into. The two characters were a little pink girl and a little blue boy that looked a lot like Sanrio's 'Little Twin Stars', but they were obvious fakes with some variations. I think most of the furniture was moulded into the house. I remember that on the rear of the phone, on the upper level, there was an arched window and I used to love peering into it when the house was closed up :)

Being a two storey house, it was built more like rotary pay phone, not a rotary home phone.

A long time ago I actually found a blue version of this telephone house on the net, with different anime-ish characters this time. So I think there may have been a few versions of it. That particular one was made by Takara I think, but I have no idea who made mine. All that I can read on the photo of the box is 'Debbie's Telephone House'. I really loved this toy. I think the handset broke though so Mum threw it out or passed it on, many, many years ago.

Anyone remember this toy? I would love to see more photos of it.
« Last Edit: Sunday 23 March 2014, 04:24 am by Skyhorse82 »

Offline Skyhorse82

Re: 'Debbie's Telephone House' and Takara's 'Pocket Pals Phone Home'
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 March 2014, 04:05 am »
So the Takara one...I have finally found another picture of it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-RARE-TAKARA-POCKET-PALS-POKEPAL-PHONE-HOME-DOLLS-HOUSE-PLAYSET-/360830037778?nma=true&si=8X3TdjBZJniywmKtOm289iejs5s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Like I said, mine was NOT Takara, nor was it part of the 'Pocket Pals' line as the little dolls looked completely different, and the house had different decals too. So, I'm going to mark this as identified now anyway, but if anyone has info on the maker of 'Debbie's Telephone House', I'd be super happy! Having seen this Takara photo though, I definitely recall that the little white chair, and the slippery dip were part of my set as well, and that my slippery dip (which was red, not pink) used to fall off all the time! I also had a tiny phone inside the house, like the one pictured, but mine was also red, not pink. So, basically, a very similar set but mine was probably a knock-off sold in Australia at the time. Case closed, finally!
« Last Edit: Wednesday 02 April 2014, 08:57 pm by Ghost Of The Doll »

anything