Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Cleaning old my little ponies?  (Read 5804 times)

Offline 90sfairy

Cleaning old my little ponies?
« on: Thursday 24 July 2014, 04:34 am »
Hello :)

I have some old 80's my little ponies. They are second hand. They have a lot of marks on them. I managed to remove a lot with soap. But other marks still remain.

Can they be fixed? Or permanent for life?
I'd like to see these removed so they can look all nice again.

Btw, a 'restoration' section would be great.
Since toys don't stay good forever :/
« Last Edit: Thursday 24 July 2014, 04:35 am by 90sfairy »

Offline luckdragon

Re: Cleaning old my little ponies?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 July 2014, 02:08 pm »
I like to use some acetone (nail polish remover) on a cotton swab to clean it off, but if it's near the cutie mark or eyes, it'll take the mark and eyes off.

Here is a site that has a guide:  http://www.ponylandpress.com/
You'll see it under Care and Info.

Offline 90sfairy

« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 July 2014, 02:09 am »
Hmmm seems that's all I can do then :(
I actually got them before, got a scrubbing brush and rubbed a cleaning product all over the marks. I also used anti-septic liquid on the marks, which is a very strong substance.
The cleaning product removed a mark. But the rest are staying.
One pony has significant yellowing all over it, so I don't think it's any good trying to remove that. I don't know if that is fixable.

I'd like to fix up the hair too. I've washed the hair with baby shampoo and brushed the hair. But it's a huge poofy mess. One girl uses a hair straightener on hers. No idea how the hair just doesn't melt, but I'm not going to do that. I don't have a straghtener either.

I liked washing them, it removed the gross smell to them and added a sheen to the plastic :)

Offline pikapal

« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 July 2014, 08:35 pm »
You can fix the hair with a fine toothed comb and some hot or warm water. But only use that on the straight haired ponies. Don't use that on ponies with spiral curls.

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 July 2014, 01:33 am »
The site I listed has hair care and restoration tips too.  I've done their methods in the past.

Use conditioner after shampooing and leave it in for about 10 minutes before rinsing the conditioner out.  That'll help it be smooth and shiny.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 August 2014, 07:00 pm »
Oxy clean works well for ponies just DO NOT USE IT ON THE SO SOFT it will defiock them, also do not use it on the talking, happy tail, or any mechanized pony. Be careful using it on the twinkle eyed as well as it can damage the eyes of them. 

Magic erasers are a good bet to, you can also try sun fading for yellowing depending on how bad it is. Just keep the eyes and hair covered. To re-hair them takes time as well, I will say some ponies well be more difficult than others to re-hair, and some are just prone to having the hair rot off.