Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Pound Puppies and Purries - 1980s (Tonka)  (Read 47514 times)

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
Pound Puppies and Purries - 1980s (Tonka)
« on: Monday 03 May 2010, 02:21 am »
Thought I'd start a post for each incarnation of the Pound Puppies. I'll post a 1990s Galoob one too so that they don't get mixed up. :)

(I actually think there's a version out now as well, but let's stick with the vintage ones at the moment!)

This one includes the plush toys from the 1980s (Puppies and Purries), outfit sets, poseables, and even the PVC figures based on the original cartoon! :)

Add your pictures and information!
« Last Edit: Friday 11 March 2011, 05:52 pm by Ghost Of The Doll »
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline zuse

Re: Pound Puppies - 1980s (Tonka)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 May 2010, 02:37 am »
Here's an example of some of the vintage puppies. I cropped these images from scans of Sears Wishbooks (1985 and 1986) by wishbook on Flickr.

« Last Edit: Monday 03 May 2010, 02:52 am by zuse »

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline Eilonwe

Re: Pound Puppies and Purries - 1980s (Tonka)
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 May 2010, 05:33 am »
I have #6 in the first picture! And a few small ones and some little Pound Purry furries. I also have a lot of the minis from the cartoon. I'll dig them out when I get the chance.

Offline pikapal

« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 May 2010, 07:03 am »
When I was a kid I use to have Pound Puppy Bedsheets. There was some pretty neat knockoff items that were made like PP "inspired" figures I'd get out of the vending machine at the supermarket and some knockoff raincoats made by Totsy. But I haven't seen a pic of those recently.

Here they are. They have the marking PG China on the back. The gray one looks a little like Nose Marie
« Last Edit: Tuesday 04 May 2010, 02:37 am by pikapal »

Offline zuse

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 May 2010, 03:47 pm »
Here's one of the poseables from 1985.

(image from eBay)

Offline WordFuzion

• Inner Child Eternal
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 May 2010, 12:00 am »
I need to go grab my Pound Puppies! I had an online friend who used to send me alot of her garage sale finds and I have at least six of the big ones now!

I've been wondering for awhile if there were certain dogs made to a point you could do an ID post, or where they like CPK made in so many variants you couldn't track them all. I guess this means you can, right? :)
<3 Mare

Looking for: SWEETIE PUPS!!!! CBC Brave Heart Lion, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite, Fluppy Dogs, 80's/90's Playline Barbie, Pound Puppies, Alley Kats, Beanie Babies, Kitty Kitty Kittens, Yum Yums, Rose Petal Place, Wrinkles, Popples, Large My Pet Monster and Pooch Patrol.

Offline zuse

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 May 2010, 12:57 am »
Hey, I just keep creating these posts because I want to learn more and it seems the fastest way for us to share with each other! I don't know if it's actually feasible for Ghost of the Doll to ever create a page about them, but at least we'll have these posts to reference when we need to. :)

Offline Eilonwe

« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 May 2010, 02:24 pm »
Here's my little collection of figures.

Nose Marie is there for size comparison. Not sure what these little ones were from. A playset?

Offline zuse

« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 May 2010, 04:06 pm »
No, I'm pretty sure they were sold lose as PVC figurines by Applause maybe? (I sold a Gummi Bears figurine by Applause that was alone in its package).

They were based off the cartoon, so that's what I always figured, anyway.

Offline Eilonwe

« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 May 2010, 05:39 pm »
The little tiny ones? I know the bigger ones were sold individually. The littlest ones look like they're meant to maybe fit in vehicles or something.

Offline zuse

« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 May 2010, 06:06 pm »
Oh! Hmm... maybe you're right. I'll step back and let someone who knows what they're talking about take over. :)

Offline zuse

« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 May 2010, 03:50 pm »

(image from eBay)

So, these were available at Hardee's? Maybe that's why I see so many of these around, haha. :)

Offline Eilonwe

« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 May 2010, 04:34 pm »
Yup! I remember getting the brown dog and orange cat.

Offline EmBee

« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 May 2010, 07:12 pm »
Aww I have the brown one!  My boyfriend gave it to me from his childhood.  His name is Rumple Skins I believe.  :333!

Aren't they Newborn Pound Puppies though?
-Em
;)

Offline WordFuzion

• Inner Child Eternal
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 May 2010, 12:43 am »
One of the four most treasured toys from my childhood is the large rust colored Rumpleskin pound puppy. I love him so much I ended up with a double to sleep with so Rusty wasn't put in harm's way with my restless sleeping patterns. (Unfortunetly I had to finally stop sleeping with plushies at 25....but only because that's when I got my Min Pin. ;) )

I need to get back into the boxes that I have my PP's in! I know I have six or so big ones and a bunch of the puppies. *whines* I'm redoing my doll room and cutting down some collections so I am seperated from part of my collection. Not a happy Mare! :(
<3 Mare

Looking for: SWEETIE PUPS!!!! CBC Brave Heart Lion, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite, Fluppy Dogs, 80's/90's Playline Barbie, Pound Puppies, Alley Kats, Beanie Babies, Kitty Kitty Kittens, Yum Yums, Rose Petal Place, Wrinkles, Popples, Large My Pet Monster and Pooch Patrol.

anything