Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Pound Puppies and Purries - 1980s (Tonka)  (Read 47520 times)

Offline WordFuzion

• Inner Child Eternal
Re: Pound Puppies and Purries - 1980s (Tonka)
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 May 2010, 09:59 pm »
@Em  That's so sweet! The toys that meant the most to me...and got saved from going to charity when I was in that silly "too old for toys" stage...were all ones given to me by special people or from special occasions. Your boyfriend sounds awesome, btw. I'm a plushie over flowers girl myself. ;)
<3 Mare

Looking for: SWEETIE PUPS!!!! CBC Brave Heart Lion, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite, Fluppy Dogs, 80's/90's Playline Barbie, Pound Puppies, Alley Kats, Beanie Babies, Kitty Kitty Kittens, Yum Yums, Rose Petal Place, Wrinkles, Popples, Large My Pet Monster and Pooch Patrol.

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 May 2010, 06:09 am »
You guys are cute. :)

So, is there any list anywhere of all the Pound Puppies stuff by Tonka? I know it had the cartoon and lots of licensed merchandise so it might be pointless, haha. Also, with all the Hardee's ones flooding the market it's hard to sift through all the eBay lots. :-\
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline WordFuzion

• Inner Child Eternal
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 May 2010, 10:30 pm »
@Em... my big Pound Puppies were amoung the saved. I picked out the ones that meant the most to me and the rest went to a local charity run by my father's friend's wife that provides toys, clothes, etc. for migrant workers. So at least I know the ones that I did give up got a chance to be really loved.

And now whenever I see something I had that I gave up, I just make a little note. :P I just might add a section like that to my Flickr account. Someday we'll be reunited! Right now I can just do a little rebuying here and there, but I'm working on my first novel and if I get it published I will celebrate with one heck of a buying spree! :P
<3 Mare

Looking for: SWEETIE PUPS!!!! CBC Brave Heart Lion, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite, Fluppy Dogs, 80's/90's Playline Barbie, Pound Puppies, Alley Kats, Beanie Babies, Kitty Kitty Kittens, Yum Yums, Rose Petal Place, Wrinkles, Popples, Large My Pet Monster and Pooch Patrol.

Offline Eilonwe

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 16 June 2010, 01:33 am »
My Howler just arrived today!

He probably had a hat originally.

I love the jointed cartoon character plushies. I need to find more.

Offline zuse

« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 July 2010, 04:56 am »
1987 JCPenney's Christmas Catalog

(from Wishbook's flickr)
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/wishbook/sets/72157623800858939/
« Last Edit: Friday 23 July 2010, 04:59 am by zuse »

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline ianthe99

« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 July 2010, 09:58 pm »
Ooh! I just found one of those Pound purrries furries today! She still has her ribbon too!

Offline pranceatron

• Pranceatron Toys
« Reply #21 on: Monday 16 August 2010, 08:06 pm »
I had these as a kid in Canada, and I don't know why, but I never see the "cloth" type ones for sale or in photos, just the velour ones, they maybe were only in Canada?  I'll post a few pics of them later today.  The yuppies were the first things we got in the velour material, then after that pretty much all of them were soft.   I'm relatively certain the "cloth" ones were the first ones out, I think 1984.  They were kind of the same material as Cabbage Patch Kids, I think their angle was to have the OOAK thing going on, but as dogs, not kids.

Not sure if I can hotlink so I'll just give a URL to my pound puppy gallery:

http://picasaweb.google.ca/Pranceatron/PoundPuppies#

The first run puppies came with an order form for a brass nametag, there's a picture of it there.  It looked very unofficial and homemade, I remember not being too impressed with it, so I put some letter stickers over it.
Also I have the colour insert from the rumpleskins Puppy I got in there too, with Super Pound Puppy!
The clothing was all sewn by me as a child, these toys were VERY well loved!
« Last Edit: Monday 16 August 2010, 08:49 pm by pranceatron »

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 August 2010, 04:07 am »
i do not know if tonka made it but there was a plush of cooler that you could put tapes in it and listen to it. i think it ran on 3-4 c or d cell batteries i think it was a 1980's plush?

Offline garagesailor

• The Pink Box Project
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 August 2010, 04:01 am »
My Pound Puppies:

http://s779.photobucket.com/albums/yy76/Mer_Kitty/Pound%20Puppies/

Mer_Kitty.... I have a Pound Puppy I was trying to find more info on because I had never seen one like it before, then I saw him in your picture! He is in the first picture, toward the upper left. He is medium-size, and in a sitting position, as opposed to the standard laying down position. Gray body, blue eyes. Do you know anything about this guy?

thanks!
Check out my Barbie ID Website!
http://www.pinkboxproject.com

Offline MercurialMonster

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 September 2010, 07:16 am »
I will need to dig up my Pound Puppies and Purries.   I think my original Puppy (as well as my sister's) is long gone, but I still have both our Pound Purries, both of our Pound Puppy Furries newborns, my Pound Purry newborn, and I possibly still have my Pound Puppy newborn.

I also found some pictures of me and my sister on the ferry from Kodiak to the mainland, and we have our Pound Puppies with us.   The picture of me it is kind of hard to see, since my puppy was black, and the lighting on the ferry was really bad.  But I will try and post them when I can.

Offline zoeshouseofplush

« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 January 2011, 04:05 pm »
I had a pound puppy with painted eyes and it says pound puppies on its tag I sold it though anybody know how long they did the painted eye series.

Offline ChibiBug

• Christian MLP Collector
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 January 2011, 04:17 am »
I have quite a few pound puppies and purries, including some vintage. I have several of the small plush animals (including ponies!), and several of the tiny playset-sized plastic ones (my favorites!). I had lots of playsets as a child. I'm not sure if I have them all now. *sigh*

Maybe I should takes some pics.
I'm a new member here who loves Jesus and collects My Little Pony!

Offline mouse

« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 04 January 2011, 12:45 pm »
I love the mini sets. I have the van complete and four carded sets of extra figures. I'd like to get them all. I love mini things :)

Offline zuse

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 02 March 2011, 09:52 pm »
Amazing job on the new Pound Puppies section! :) I can't imagine how much work it must have been! Those toy lines are rather overwhelming!

I wonder if those unknown PVC came with one of those amusement park/train playsets that seemed to be so big back then?
« Last Edit: Wednesday 02 March 2011, 09:55 pm by zuse »

Offline zuse

Re: [Now added to GOTD] Pound Puppies and Purries - 1980s (Tonka)
« Reply #29 on: Monday 07 March 2011, 07:10 am »
Here's an old picture I saved where you can see there are a few alternate poses.

Update: Some of those other figures you have posted seem to belong to the "Wind Up Getaway Railroad" playset.
« Last Edit: Monday 07 March 2011, 09:12 am by zuse »

anything
anything