Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Gum Drop - Eugene (1980s)  (Read 11990 times)

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
Gum Drop - Eugene (1980s)
« on: Wednesday 05 May 2010, 07:46 am »
I believe this doll is by the company Eugene Doll & Novelty Co., Inc. The actual card seems to have the "Eugene" logo in the bottom right corner." I'm not sure how many different "flavors" that there are. She's 9", so a bit larger than vintage SSC (not just a direct copy of the mold). I really like the thread/yarn hair.

Lime - Green Version

This image was found on Myspace.

Purple Version (the card has been opened, see below, so the labels inside the bubble seem to be gone - is she Grape?)

(picture from a current eBay auction - apparently dated 1980?)

Here is an ad from the 1982 Sear's Wishbook. She was advertised in the same section as the Strawberry Shortcake dolls. These don't have the symbol or bric-a-brac ribbon on their apron, so I don't know if this is a separate edition or what? (A special Sear's 1982 version maybe?)

Also, the seller for the purple doll says that the back of the packaging reads:
"Gum Drop"
style no 70955
(C) Eugene Doll Co, Inc
Brooklyn,  NY 11232
Made in British Crown Colony
of Hong Kong

Lastly, a pic of the logo I found on the trademark site.
« Last Edit: Monday 14 June 2010, 03:10 am by zuse »
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline zuse

Re: Gum Drop - Eugene (1980s)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 May 2010, 03:12 pm »
Here's an AA one from eBay. I believe she's maybe a version of Jelly Drop (the little sister), as the seller says she is around 6 inches. Closer to SSC size!

Also, some more pictures of the large-sized purple one (I guess her bubble detaches from her card?)

(pictures from the same eBay auction)
« Last Edit: Wednesday 05 May 2010, 03:26 pm by zuse »

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline Blippo

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 June 2010, 12:23 am »
I have 6-inch versions of the green and purple dolls, as well as a red and an orange. They do not have flowers in their hair. Perhaps the 6-inch never has. The back of the head says Eugene Doll made in Hong Kong. The body and the tag on the dress both say made in Hong Kong.

The funny thing is the bodies are a cheapr plastic than the heads. My green doll's hair has come unglued on one side and I can see faint writing on the head under where the hair should be. It looks like a mold number and name but I can't make it out and its too lightly embedded to highlight.

Offline Rider of the storm

« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 June 2010, 01:54 am »
Nice find I had no idea that these existed thanks.

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 June 2010, 11:40 am »

Offline Blippo

« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 June 2010, 11:37 pm »
Here are my little girls. The pictures can be used for anything as long as anybody who uses them moves them from my photobucket because I might delete them someday and then they'll have a red "x".

Offline zuse

Offline zuse