Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: The Baby-Sitters Club  (Read 22303 times)

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
Re: The Baby-Sitters Club
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 July 2010, 01:03 am »
They weren't any worse than any other formula series they write for little kids. :-P

At the flea market I used to go to was a lady that sold incense and other stuff. She also went through a faze where she sold her AA doll collection. She had a MIB Jessi doll by Kenner that I kept meaning to get but never got. Last time I was there I didn't see it. I should ask her about if she sold it next time I go. (Apparently it's pretty rare!) I will try to make myself feel better by telling myself it probably reeks of incense. But the other MIB dolls I got from her didn't have a problem... :-\
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline apanda0622

« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 July 2010, 05:35 am »
I used to have a huge collection of Babysitter Club books.  When I was younger, I used to get them at garage sales and used bookstores, and occasionally a new one at Wal-mart.  I had all the Super ones (white books) and the mysteries (dark books).  And I had many of the regular books.  Aw memories--they were my fav books to read.

Even though I don't have the books, I still have 6 of the tall dolls, but could never find Jessie.

EDIT:  Dawn was my favorite character followed by Kritsy.
« Last Edit: Friday 23 July 2010, 05:39 am by apanda0622 »

Offline zuse

« Reply #17 on: Friday 23 July 2010, 06:09 am »
Wow! I'm jealous! :) I'm working on my collection now. BSC and Animorphs are kind of my random hobby of things to look for when there isn't anything good at the flea market or thrift store. :)

That's bugging me about the Jessi doll. I actually looked up the booth on the flea market web site and they have an online store too. I'm going to ask her if she sold it. I hope it went to someone that will really appreciate it if the doll is really that rare! She was still in her box, and I think it was in really good condition!
« Last Edit: Saturday 24 July 2010, 03:21 am by zuse »

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline Eilonwe

« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 July 2010, 07:53 pm »
Jessi's definitely the hardest to find of the 7. I had the other 6 for a couple years before I finally got her.

Offline Bren41882

« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 September 2010, 01:28 am »
I loved The BabySitters Club! I was most like Mary-Anne but Claudia was my fav her Mimi(grandma) reminds me of my step grandmother who's full blood Japeneese she's very much like Claudia's Mimi
"Death does not stop true love, all it can do is delay it for awhile."-Westley in The Princess Bride

Offline MercurialMonster

« Reply #20 on: Saturday 25 September 2010, 09:04 am »
My sister read the BSC books... or at least, my mom bought pretty much all the books she could find for my sister, lol!  The books filled up two and a half shelves on the big bookshelf unit we had at the time.  My mom mostly bought them in boxed sets, and multi-packs through Scholastic book orders that we would bring home from school.   My sister never read all of them, she lost interest in things very quickly, and wasn't much of a reader then, anyways.

I was the reader in our house, and I started to read some of them out of boredom.   I got through the first two or three (maybe more than that, I don't remember) in a few days.  I read about one BSC book a day; I remember my sister getting mad cause it took her a week to read just one.  I can't help it I hyper-focused on books back then (takes me forever to read now, if I even finish the books), lol.

But they didn't hold much interest for me, so I didn't get very far into the series.  I was more into fantasy and science fiction as a kid, so reading about ordinary kids didn't really appeal to me much.  Plus, even though I liked playing with some "girl" toys, I just wasn't much interested in reading about a bunch of girls.   I had to deal with them enough at home and school! :P

I don't begrudge anyone else for reading or liking them as an adult.  Heck, I read books of all kinds nowadays, including series intended for "kids".    
 >.> *coughWarriorscough* <.<
« Last Edit: Saturday 25 September 2010, 09:08 am by MercurialMonster »

Offline kiddy2468

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 April 2011, 04:14 am »
I love dthat series but it was very frustrating to read them in order or try to because I would get them out from the library and go for the next one and it would be out nad wasn't due for three weeks. They have remade them amd I am actually re-reading them just for fun right now. We used to have alot but they either given away or put away one out of the two. More than likely given away because when we got older we didn't read the books as much as we used to.

Offline Freeindeed

• Good Boy Toys
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 April 2011, 12:35 pm »
I used to love the Baby-Sitters Club books! I had a TON of them and the Super Specials and everything... I even had a BSC calendar one year, which was pretty cool! I think it came with stickers. I vaguely remember having a postcard book too.

The only thing I didn't like about them was how they would spend the first two chapters basically repeating the whole story of how Kristy founded the club, and introducing all of the different characters. I guess it was for people who just started reading the series, but it would always annoy me! So I would just skim through the first couple chapters.

I know they were super easy to read and just basically fluff but I loved them anyway! I could finish one book in an hour or two. Then I would spend the rest of the month waiting for the next one to come out... :)

Stacey was always my favorite and I even named one of my pet mice after her in 5th grade! LOL. :)
« Last Edit: Wednesday 20 April 2011, 12:37 pm by Freeindeed »

Offline zuse

« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 August 2012, 05:37 am »
I was thinking today about that Jessie Kenner doll I passed up at the flea market a few years ago. Awhile later when I realized what a great doll it was she didn't have it out anymore (I can't remember if I asked her if she'd sold it, though). Still kicking myself!

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #24 on: Friday 10 August 2012, 06:29 am »
Aww!  Someone at work and I were talking about Babysitter's Club the other day.

I remember the books (of course).  I had bunches of those including all of the Portrait Collection books (personal favorites) and Little Sister books (followed Karen), I had the board game too, and I had the Remco Kristy and Karen doll set.  I think my favorite character was Mary Anne.  I remember the TV series (including the theme song) and the movie.  I still enjoy the movie... :-[

If I remember correctly, the board game wasn't very good...might be why it's so cheap on ebay.
« Last Edit: Friday 10 August 2012, 06:31 am by luckdragon »

Offline ramallama

« Reply #25 on: Thursday 23 August 2012, 11:36 pm »
I used to love this series!  I always wanted to create my own baby-sitters club with my friends.  I should go back and reread them some day :)

anything
anything