Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: [ID: My One and Only - Irwin Toy] Obscure toy line 1 - "My One and Only" (1988)  (Read 34932 times)

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
Re: [ID: My One and Only - Irwin Toy] Obscure toy line 1 - "My One and Only" (1988)
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 December 2011, 04:07 pm »
AGHHHHHHHHH! OH MY GOSH! That is HILARIOUS! THE SWEATER! THE GLASSES! THE RUBBER CHICKEN!
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline Ianua

Re: [ID: My One and Only - Irwin Toy] Obscure toy line 1 - "My One and Only" (1988)
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 December 2011, 04:30 pm »
Fantastic

Offline zuse

« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 December 2011, 06:35 pm »
Now I must see the doll that is supposed to represent him! :-P

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 December 2011, 03:12 am »
thanks zuse that made my night ! keep it up !

Offline Ghost Of The Doll

• Administrator
    • Powder Monki
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 January 2012, 07:10 pm »
Ahh, that photo has made my day!  ;D
Buy retro PIN BADGES and FRIDGE MAGNETS on Powder Monki!

Offline Skyhorse82

« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 February 2012, 01:25 pm »
I only just stumbled on this thread but THAT is gold! LOL *wipes away tears of laughter*. I want my own 'One & Only' too! He's out there, I just know it, haha. What a bizarre concept for a pre-teen toy. No wonder the line never took off...young girls probably had weird guys rocking up on their doorstep unannounced; the ones who just took it that little bit too far, lol.

Offline jazzmatazz

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 February 2012, 08:55 pm »
that is golden! :D now you must post of photo of his doll form!

Offline voorhis

« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 February 2012, 02:30 am »
Here is a link to a photo of all six "My One and Only" dolls by Irwin.  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruthvoorhis/6894313027/in/photostream/lightbox/

I bought them from a vendor at a flea market in 1995 who got them from a collector who had saved them mint in box in his cellar.  The sewer backed up flooding his cellar and ruining the boxes.  The dolls were unsoiled, but the collector was discouraged and sold the dolls.

They are arranged in the picture in alphabetical order from left to right, Cliff, Colin, Cory, George, Marc, and Matt.  They are 12 inches tall.  There are no markings on the heads.  I haven't undressed them to look for marks on their bodies.
« Last Edit: Tuesday 04 December 2012, 04:37 am by zuse »

Offline zuse

« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 February 2012, 07:16 pm »
FANTASTIC.

I don't know what I was imagining... but those are pretty great.

So, little girls were carrying around dolls that looked like Ken/NKOTB or something and calling them their boyfriends. :-P

Offline Ned

« Reply #24 on: Saturday 18 February 2012, 08:49 pm »
@Dollquestion & @voorhis My best regards, ladies, for putting up these unique pictures! And thank you, too, zuse, for averting me about their contributions to my old post!

Man, it's taken what, almost 24 years, for me to encounter any visual of this memory. What can I say? The Colin model...typical 80s brainiac hunk...but hilarious with that rubber chicken. Pretty smug of Irwin Toy to customize the letter. Not sure I like the comment about him getting 96% on his mid-term because his computer did all his homework, if he didn't study properly, how did he do his midterm, where he had no computer? What kind of message is that sending?

If you look at the model and then at the doll, isn't it kind of funny that the doll has longer hair and no glasses?

This kind of thing is always good for checking how clear your memory is on such pedantic details. The guy I seemed to remember best is "Cory" (hey, this was the age of Corey Hart, what have you). Looking at the dolls (what a treat to have all 6 displayed at once!), I see I remember his letterman jacket to the dot, but he has short blond hair, whereas I recall a head close in appearance to Marc's - I evidently mixed up the heads of two of the dolls.

One way or another, this line seems to have been a flop. Makes me wonder what retail chains carried it in the first place. Perhaps our catalog-order chain Consumers Distributing did?

Anyway, you guys have really made my day here.          
« Last Edit: Saturday 18 February 2012, 09:06 pm by Ned »

Offline voorhis

« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 February 2012, 04:25 am »
Actually, Colin the doll does have glasses.  They're lying beside him in his storage compartment here, but I didn't put them on him.  Also, someone mentioned one of these dolls named Rad.  I have a note that Rad is George's nickname.

Voorhis

Offline Ned

« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 February 2012, 09:24 am »
Actually, Colin the doll does have glasses.  They're lying beside him in his storage compartment here, but I didn't put them on him.  Also, someone mentioned one of these dolls named Rad.  I have a note that Rad is George's nickname.

Voorhis

I thought "George" would be the same as "Rad", as it was the only name that didn't match up with the others. When watching the commercial as an 8-year-old, I misheard his name as "Graham". It's one of the articles quoted above that gives his name as "Rad". Out of interest, here's how I remembered their names for 20-odd years vs. their actual names: Me - Colin, Graham, Mark, Max, Greg(???), Cory. In actual fact - Colin, Rad (George), Marc, Matt, Cliff, Cory.

Offline clifftheaviator

« Reply #27 on: Monday 03 December 2012, 11:32 pm »
hey there.....I WAS one of the dolls(Cliff..the aviator.. not the most popular one from any comments...lol) but just googled my one and only to see what I could find....wondered whatever became of the dolls.....found this forum and thought I would say hey ........was a cool job when I did this .....anyways...would love to hear back from anyone
ps-wasnt given any free ones(paid a lot for the job though).....had to buy my own doll....found it in a bargain bin at Towers Departmaent store marked down half price......was kind of sad....lol

Offline ForeverKokiri

« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 04 December 2012, 08:21 am »
"Cliff," that's a scream! Do you have any photographs of yourself dressed as the doll? So far we've only seen "Colin's" photos.

Also, do you still have the doll of you?

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 04 December 2012, 12:53 pm »
All of the dolls look the same to me?? Was the doll modelled after you or were you the guy in the pictures that went out? :P